Tasmania's Dining Gets Attention!

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline:“52 Places to Go in 2018” with attention and highlights also regarding Tasmania and its food options: Long known for its oysters and sparkling wines, Australia’s southernmost state is now garnering attention for its booming culinary scene, too. The rising star chef David Moyle helped lead the way in 2015 by opening the seafood-focused Franklin in a restored 1920s Ford automobile showroom, now one of Australia’s top-rated restaurants. Other newcomers include Dier Makr, a restaurant showcasing local Tasmanian ingredients run by two Melbourne transplants, and the Agrarian Kitchen Eatery & Store, another farm-to-table venture that's given new life to a heritage property connected with Tasmania's darker penal colony days — a 19th-century former mental asylum."

As detailed below in my live/blog, we super enjoyed our one day in visiting here and for soaking up its many great sights and nature examples. BUT, we needed more time there to better sample these food options. Another good reason for heading back to Australia.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ft ravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region =rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPla cement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 193,522 views for this posting.

Indeed, young Terry. Having been over to Tassie 4 times on driving holidays, I can vouch for the excellent cuisine to be found in many Hobart eateries, these days. I have had moments of excellent repast.:p

If you get the chance, savour. Great eateries around Hobart Waterfront. :cool:

The cuisine has improved greatly from ye olde bread and water days the convicts lived on in Port Arthur and other penal establishments.

Haaaa.... Bruny island Cheeses very nice

Lovely place Tassie

Best memory was down on the Freycinet Peninsula, standing in waders 50 metre from shore eating oysters shucked a minute ago washed down with some sparkling Clover Hill....

Only in Tassie

Cheers Don

Nah. It only Tas, was a regular occurrence griw7ng up on Lake Macquarie. Knock an oyster off the rock and down it.

Great work Terry. Tassie is terrific.

Appreciate these fun, interesting responses and follow-ups. Especially liked this posting: "Best memory was down on the Freycinet Peninsula, standing in waders 50 metre from shore eating oysters shucked a minute ago washed down with some sparkling Clover Hill."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,511 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hi MicCanberra, it was just a wonderful memory the white linen table cloth out in the water with oysters and sparkling.. We have been to Tassie 12 times ( 31weeks in all ), by overnight ferry ( sort of your introduction to going on a ship )

We have had some wonderful dinning experiences there from Xanders in Stanley to the Palate Restaurant Freycinet

Cheers Don ( 13 nights till next cruise )

Tasmania has some great food options.

And is known for its wonderful seafood.

However less well known are some of the small cheese makers.

I saw some Seafood mornay pies down there.:halo:

Hi MicCanberra, it was just a wonderful memory the white linen table cloth out in the water with oysters and sparkling.. We have been to Tassie 12 times ( 31weeks in all ), by overnight ferry ( sort of your introduction to going on a ship )

We have had some wonderful dinning experiences there from Xanders in Stanley to the Palate Restaurant Freycinet

Cheers Don ( 13 nights till next cruise )

Yes, I am a foodie of sorts too, some of my best memories of travelling revolve around a meal.:D

One such time was at Bora Bora, where on the private motu, there was a few picnic tables set into the water and the lovu/hungi had lobsters, suckling pig, vegies, etc along with some refreshing ales. Just amazing.:D

Yes, I am a foodie of sorts too, some of my best memories of travelling revolve around a meal.:D

One such time was at Bora Bora, where on the private motu, there was a few picnic tables set into the water and the lovu/hungi had lobsters, suckling pig, vegies, etc along with some refreshing ales. Just amazing.:D

My thoughts exactly, and that does sounds amazing.

We have had a few evenings of having our own personal chief for a 5 course meal, Oh food, wine ( and maybe a dry martini ) and travelling, does it get any better ?? Al I can says if that we have been lucky to enjoy so many of these moments, except my waistline doesn't agree.

Cheers Don

If the food is disgusting, I don't eat it. Luckily, I have not had to worry, Rosie looks after me well.:D

Geez you and Gut are lucky getting meals cooked by your better half. I cook dinner every night, otherwise I could be like Mr Gut, eating garbage.:')

You can have your plane food, I prefer the food on cruise ships.:D

Agree plane food is horrible, never had a decent feed on a plane yet and have flown on most of the major airlines, Qantas, Cathay, KLM, Singapore, Virgin, LAN, Malaysian, BA etc. Something to do with the taste buds @ 30,000 feet. Might take a little bottle of Tabasco sauce on board, like the cabin crew do, to spice up their tucker.

Maybe I should try Korean Air.:p

2 days in Tassie/Hobart on November cruise, & I love Oysters, so this got me a bit more excited. If that’s possible :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct-2016 Pride of America 7nt Hawaiian Islands Cruise

24-Dec-2015 Explorer Of The Seas13nt South Pacific - New Zealand Cruise

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Geez you and Gut are lucky getting meals cooked by your better half. I cook dinner every night, otherwise I could be like Mr Gut, eating garbage.:')

I did all the cooking before I ended up in a wheelchair, then Miss Gut took over. She is a great cook.

Mrs Gut has improved as a cook.

Agree plane food is horrible, never had a decent feed on a plane yet and have flown on most of the major airlines, Qantas, Cathay, KLM, Singapore, Virgin, LAN, Malaysian, BA etc. Something to do with the taste buds @ 30,000 feet. Might take a little bottle of Tabasco sauce on board, like the cabin crew do, to spice up their tucker.

Maybe I should try Korean Air.:p

Many years ago (around 20, I think) we were on a British Airways flight in Europe. We were in cattle class and the meal included one of the best goulash-type stews I've ever eaten. The meat was tender and juicy, the spicing was perfect. It really was delicious. I wouldn't expect anything like that these days although a recent flight from Sydney to Europe on Emirates had better than expected food. Don't ask me about the food on the return flights though! I don't think I'm allowed to say words like that here. :eek:;p

I did all the cooking before I ended up in a wheelchair, then Miss Gut took over. She is a great cook.

Mrs Gut has improved as a cook.

That's good, you must be some sort of Marco Pierre White or Gordon Ramsay,:halo: your skills rubbed off.