How Long Before HAL

mariner

Not sure if this is a serious question, but I'll bite. Once a ship is in international waters, what law governs? And once you get back to the the states, you're now bringing marijuana into the United States, which I'm sure opens up a whole other can of worms (Federal law violations). I don't know the answer, and I don't really care. I hope they never do.. cruisers eat enough already, don't they? ;p

They are Dutch registered ships and yes, I'm serious. If states see the revenue in it, don't think HAL bean counters won't be tempted.

I'm neither pro nor con on the idea, but if HAL is trying to attract more young families, this would probably be

a pretty bad idea in terms of that market segment.

There are a few hundred countries on this planet with extremely strict laws concerning bringing marijuana into their waters and land.

A ship suspected of importing illegal drugs could be impounded and her captain jailed.

Probably not going to happen very soon.

Yeah, but for those Alaska round trips from Seattle? Just have to get around that required Canada visit. LOL

The figurative ship has sailed. Wont be long before every state is balancing its budget

Your question, if in fact it is meant to be serious, is ridiculous. What similarity is there between what certain states have legalized and what a cruise ship, restaurant, hotel, or any other private enterprise chooses to allow. Have you not been following the anti-smoking threads on this and other cruise forums. Your question, if a weak attempt at being humorous, is not. And, if serious, is absurd.

Not absurd. It's a money-maker. And ships love to make money. Alcohol is prohibited in Muslim countries, yet ships call there. And you were the first to bring up the actual smoking issue, which at the end of the day, would be the major bone of contention on board.

First off, marijuana is still illegal in Holland, even given the laws that turn a blind eye to the sale and use of "soft drugs". The only place where pot is legally sold is in "licensed" coffee houses. These businesses are only allowed to sell to Dutch citizens (except when physically in Amsterdam), and can be jailed for selling to tourists. Also, they can only have 500g of pot on the premises, so at current prices, that is about 5000 Euros, not a lot of "profit" for a cruise. Since the international conventions of STCW and MLC require all vessel crew to have a "zero tolerance" for drugs (all drugs), regardless of local law, and the fact that Holland is signatory to these conventions, I would be surprised if drugs are allowed on Dutch flag vessels for passengers, as this would open enforcement problems of sales between passengers and crew.

Further, port security in the US is a joint local, state, Federal jurisdiction, and taking drugs on a ship would be considered taking them out of the country, and this would fall under Federal jurisdiction, so state legalization laws would be moot.

And finally, regardless of what the laws of the flag state of the ship are (i.e. even if Holland allowed drugs on their ships), the port states (where the ship makes port calls) can enforce their own drug laws on the ship while it is in their waters or in their port.

The question posted by the OP caused me to think through a scenario for Alaska cruise.

I legally buy recreational marijuana in eCig form in Alaska before embarking. What restricts me from bringing it onboard and smoking it in my cabin while on waters within the state of Alaska?

HAL restricts illegal drugs, but mine is legal while in Alaska.

Alaska prohibits the use of marijuana in public places. My cabin is private.

HAL''s smoking policy specifically allows for the use of eCigs and vaporizers in you cabin.

Admittedly I am not familiar with maritime laws but in the above scenario I don't believe I have broken any laws or the ship''s passage contract.

It may be more complicated though if the ship is in federal waters as part of the park service where federal law would trump state law.

Just thinking out loud and looking for opinions.

Starts selling marijuana aboard since many states are beginning to legalize it? And what about smoking it aboard?

Not until they no longer wish to call at U.S. ports.

IMarijuana use and sale is still against U.S. Federal law.

Nice to see you posting, Mariner :)

Under international law, there is some overlap of jurisdiction between the "flag state" (where the ship is registered) and the "port state" (where the ship is, in this case the US, not Alaska). General international maritime law says that the flag state's laws apply on the vessel, and the port state's laws will only be applied if the actions on the ship affect the safety or "good harmony" of the port.