Anybody geocache while cruising?

kg4pit

My husband and I love to geo-cache! We will be cruising again in February and hope to get a geocache while in Cozumel and Progreso! Who else has geocached while cruising? We are doing the Cozumel Bar Hop and have found out that there are caches around most of the bars we are going to. Also, there is one at the port in Progreso. We aren’t spending all of our time looking for a cache but would love to get at least one. I have what you call a “travel-bug” in memory of my mom. She wanted to cruise just one more time before she passed, but wasn’t able to. I want “Mama’s hummingbird to at least visit a cache in Cozumel and/or Progreso. Anybody else geo-cache?

I've been wondering about this -- though the thought of the roaming fees for my phone is scary.

I started back in the day before smartphones, so I have an old handheld Garmin etrex. I'm sure they go for nothing now. You can save the geocache pages you are interested in on your phone to use in airplane mode. Or even just write the details down on paper!

• 5 months later...

So, we are going on a Viking cruise for 21 days - called the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise. I would like to use my GPS to geocache and load a pocket query for each stop but how can I get accurate addresses or coordinates for each port of call? Thanks.

• 2 months later...
So, we are going on a Viking cruise for 21 days - called the Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise. I would like to use my GPS to geocache and load a pocket query for each stop but how can I get accurate addresses or coordinates for each port of call? Thanks.

I've been Geocaching on cruises since 2009. You can search for any port in the world on Geocaching.com and then build your pocket query. I like Bermuda as I can load all 250 or more Geocaches on just one pocket query download. Another good app for Geocaching is Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK), which allows you to collect and organize caches as you wish. For example, I have GSAK databases named "Home", "Cruise", "Ann Arbor" (where my grandkids live), etc. GSAK allows me to assemble all the caches on a many-ported cruise on one download. I use a Garmin Oregon which, with a micro sd card, holds at least 500 caches. With GSAK, one upload before the cruise is all you'll need. Enjoy!

If you geocache, especially while traveling, please use some good common sense to protect your safety. We had a geocaching convention in our city not too long ago and the number of people who stopped their cars in the middle of traffic to hop out and look for these things was incredible. Be aware of areas you are unfamiliar with while traveling. If I was looking to lure unaware tourists to a bad area to rob them, setting a geocache up would certainly be a way to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums