jumping ship!

parahandyone

Absolutely not common practice but should be possible - I did it at a cruise from San Juan where I disembarked the day before in St. Thomas. You need to contact the cruise line and get approval. You will not get any reduction. Stockholm is Schengen while UK is not. Immigration issues might depend on you nationality. Again consult the cruise line. The are responsible for immigration when visiting ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jumping ship early certainly isn't un-heard-of, but it's usually skipping the last day. Typical is a cruise out of Southampton when Le Havre is the last port-of-call - folk will arrange to jump ship in Le Havre instead of returning to Southampton with the ship, so they can spend time in Paris & fly home from there.

But you do need permission in advance from the cruise line, and you really need that in writing (e-mail) in case of poor communication within the cruise line.

Permission is usually given.

No fare reduction / refund, and in fact some cruise lines charge an admin fee.

I don't see Schengen being a problem, even if your nationality means that you need a Schengen visa, because you'll already be in a Schengen country (Sweden) and can leave the Schengen area from wherever you wish and by whatever means that you wish.

If you do need a Schengen visa, leaving Schengen and returning to it (eg having St Peterdurg as a mid-cruise port-of-call) is more difficult because you'd need a multi-entry visa rather than the standard single-entry visa.

So there are enough replies to assure you that it's usually possible, and that it's worth asking the cruise line.:)

JB :)

we are thinking of joining a baltic cruise in London but want to leave the cruise in Stockholm; 11 days into a 14 day cruise... is this uncommon or pretty common? would we get a reduction? are there immigration issues, etc?

By a strange coincidence what you are doing, I actually did on Silver Cloud going from Tower Bridge to Stockholm.

It’s not possible to embark or disembark at any and every port since there are obviously customs and passport control issues as you’ve rightly realised. However fro a logistic purpose it’s something you can do but it must be logged with the Cruise Line so the passenger manifest is up to date and accurate and so they can let the port authorities be aware.

It’s important that you let your agent / cruise Line know.

Don’t think it’s common, but it’s not uncommon either.

we are thinking of joining a baltic cruise in London but want to leave the cruise in Stockholm; 11 days into a 14 day cruise... is this uncommon or pretty common? would we get a reduction? are there immigration issues, etc?

More uncommon; No refund; and Pre-cruise arrangements required.

I checked into this a few months ago although not for a European destination. You do not need "permission" from the cruise ship line. They aren't going to forcibly keep you on board if you want to leave. Advance notice would be appreciated but if your plans change mid-cruise they can accommodate your request. There will be no discount.

Customs and immigration is another matter. You do need their permission. If the port can admit visitors to the country and you have the right paperwork it won't be a problem. I would suspect at Stockholm they would be able to manage a visitor's entry to the country.

I checked into this a few months ago although not for a European destination. You do not need "permission" from the cruise ship line. They aren't going to forcibly keep you on board if you want to leave. Advance notice would be appreciated but if your plans change mid-cruise they can accommodate your request. There will be no discount.

Customs and immigration is another matter. You do need their permission. If the port can admit visitors to the country and you have the right paperwork it won't be a problem. I would suspect at Stockholm they would be able to manage a visitor's entry to the country.

That “another matter” is a big one. Of course, the ship will not “forcibly keep you on board”, but you will need the ship (the line, actually) to arrange for customs and immigration. The routine port of call processing does not accommodate actually entering the country for longer than the scheduled port call.

Because an individual passenger cannot require customs and immigration staffing, you do need the line to arrange it - and that does amount to getting their “permission”.

Without the line’s facilitating you debarkation, you would be messing with illegal entry.

That “another matter” is a big one. Of course, the ship will not “forcibly keep you on board”, but you will need the ship (the line, actually) to arrange for customs and immigration. The routine port of call processing does not accommodate actually entering the country for longer than the scheduled port call.

Because an individual passenger cannot require customs and immigration staffing, you do need the line to arrange it - and that does amount to getting their “permission”.

Without the line’s facilitating you debarkation, you would be messing with illegal entry.

You don't need their "permission." You may need their assistance depending on the port. There's a difference.

You don't need their "permission." You may need their assistance depending on the port. There's a difference.

An absurd distinction: if they refuse to give you the necessary assistance to enable you to debark without violating that country’s laws, they are effectively denying permission for you to get off the ship in compliance with those laws.

Of course you could just walk off and take your chances, but that would be kind of stupid.

An absurd distinction: if they refuse to give you the necessary assistance to enable you to debark without violating that country’s laws, they are effectively denying permission for you to get off the ship in compliance with those laws.

Of course you could just walk off and take your chances, but that would be kind of stupid.

Absurd is thinking the the cruise company had total dominion over you. Absurd is the notion that you have to go cap in hand to beg their permission. Ask to leave at an earlier port and they will make it happen. There's no need to be a weakling about it.

Absurd is thinking the the cruise company had total dominion over you. Absurd is the notion that you have to go cap in hand to beg their permission. Ask to leave at an earlier port and they will make it happen. There's no need to be a weakling about it.

Take it easy!!!

No one mentioned “total dominion”, any need to “beg”, or to “go cap in hand”. But the average passenger does need to have the cruise line make arrangements with immigration/customs people if he wants to enter a foreign country at a time and place where they may not be prepared to process him.

I am not suggesting that you must accept such common sense reality.

I do recall from your earlier posts your apparent belief that you have the absolute right to debark cruise ships whenever and wherever you want - without involving the line you are sailing.

I do not care about what you want to think about such matters, but OP raised a valid question and is entitled to receive thoughtful answers. So please let it rest.

Absolutely coordinate this with your cruiseline. On one of our southern caribbean cruises at our port stop in Aruba someone "jumped ship" (authorities were notified) and it caused our ship to sail out 3 hours late. We were told by the concierge the next night that this occasionally happens in Aruba.

Take it easy!!!

No one mentioned “total dominion”, any need to “beg”, or to “go cap in hand”. But the average passenger does need to have the cruise line make arrangements with immigration/customs people if he wants to enter a foreign country at a time and place where they may not be prepared to process him.

I am not suggesting that you must accept such common sense reality.

I do recall from your earlier posts your apparent belief that you have the absolute right to debark cruise ships whenever and wherever you want - without involving the line you are sailing.

I do not care about what you want to think about such matters, but OP raised a valid question and is entitled to receive thoughtful answers. So please let it rest.

It's the difference between asking "permission" for the cruise ship to let you off and telling them that you want off.

And we do have the absolute right to leave a ship at any time. There may be consequences for the decision but passengers can leave any time.

It's the difference between asking "permission" for the cruise ship to let you off and telling them that you want off.

And we do have the absolute right to leave a ship at any time. There may be consequences for the decision but passengers can leave any time.

You are absolutely correct : both as to having “the absolute right to leave a ship at any time” , and bearing “the consequences for the decision”.

Those people who “leave a ship” while underway and at great distance from shore are examples of people who exercise that right - just as people who do not think they need to ask the line to make arrangements for debarking at a port not scheduled for debarkation.

Both types are exercising their “absolute right” —- and are entitled to enjoy the consequences.

You are absolutely correct - please forgive me for suggesting that a rational person might make a request.

Wow, what a play on words, so I should point out that as a passenger, you do NOT have an absolute right to leave the ship at ANY time. In port probably, but not at all times.

My understanding of an absolute right is one which is legally enforceable. When in port, you can depart the ship at your discretion, but can expect to face the consequences with immigration authorities and any financial penalties incurred by the cruise line.

However, as a passenger on a vessel at sea you do not have a legal right to depart the vessel. While none of the jumpers from my ships were ever saved, I am aware of one from another ship who swam to shore and was promptly arrested and charged. So while you can jump ship ( exit from a ship without permission) in port, you do have the same rights at sea.

BTW - no cruise line would ever prevent a passenger from disembarking early, and any fees they charge for the service are probably less than potential immigration fines.

Seems to me that the potential problem w leaving early is really simple. They can not hold you prisoner on the ship. However, if you do not coordinate things with the country where the ship is docked, that country could arrest and hold you for illegal entry and then confiscate your passport. That means that you would not be able to leave that county.

DON

One issue may arise. The ship may skip the port. This happened on our Med Cruise. A bunch of pax were going to disembark at Marseille and continue into France. Problem was that the ship had to skip Marseille due to weather conditions. Those pax who were planning to get off in Marseille were then forced to stay on to Barcelona with no arrangements since we were out to sea for the day.

Seems to me that the potential problem w leaving early is really simple. They can not hold you prisoner on the ship. However, if you do not coordinate things with the country where the ship is docked, that country could arrest and hold you for illegal entry and then confiscate your passport. That means that you would not be able to leave that county.

DON

Totally agree, especially those countries that provide passengers a Visa upon arrival, which is based on the information from the ship that you will be departing the country aboard the ship. No problem leaving the ship, you just might not see much of the country during an extended stay.

LOL at doing what you like and the ship can't hold you prisoner.

If you are refused entry into the country you are trying to enter because there is no manifest to allow this, whatya gonna do? Swim back or crawl back in your cell on the ship?

Prisoners don't arrange when they will be released, but responsible passengers do understand rules, regulations and laws need to be followed. As long as you're aware there are likely to be consequences which can include refused entry and passport endorsed, plus reprocussions from the cruise kine, only a complete fool would take the attitude "I do what I want".....

It would give the other passengers and crew something to laugh about though.