Help w flights to CPT

PaulaJK

We are flying EWR to CPT in January. Found a flight on Austrian Airlines. Newark to Vienna. 2 hr layover. Vienna to Capetown. Were able to use our United miles since Austrian Airlines is a partner.

Does anyone have info on routes or services. I have checked some regular boards and most flights seem to involve 9+ hour layovers.
Everything else we found was multiple stops.
Austrian Airlines only flies twice a week from Vienna to Cape Town, so this may be constricting.

But there are loads of one-stop itineraries. A quick and dirty search for a random date in March shows one-stop routes through these cities (with the shortest offered connection time at each on the way out):-

• Amsterdam (180 mins)
  • Dubai (145 mins)

If you're prepared to fly from JFK rather than EWR, you could use any of these options:-

• Amsterdam (65 mins)
  • Doha (485 mins)
  • Dubai (155 mins)
  • Frankfurt (625 mins)
  • Istanbul (535 mins)
  • London (100 mins)
  • Nairobi (255 mins)
  • Paris (1,295 mins)
  • Johannesburg (120 mins)
  • Zurich (2,140 mins)

The cities at which you can make a short connection usually offer itineraries having longer connection times, if you would prefer that.

• 7 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 5:15 PM, PaulaJK said:

We are looking for the least hassle in flying NYC [EWR] preferred to CPT. Does anyone have info on routes or services. I have checked some regular boards and most flights seem to involve 9+ hour layovers.

I don't know when your expected travel time is but United Airlines announced this week that it is applying for approval to start a non-stop flight from Newark to Cape Town in December of this year.  It would make that long commute time a lot more bearable.

Check google flights and you can find options for the week you want to go.  The United Flight was just announced but those non-stop can be pricey so you may find the layover worth while.  

I did LAX to Cape Town then back from JoBurg in June.  We did Air France and now absorbed Joon with a day (noon to nine am)  layover.  You can also fly to JOBerg and take a quick in country flight, but leave 4 hours or more to connect or book it on the same ticket.  I found flights through the middle east and Europe so check out which have the best times and rates.