When to buy Third Party Insurance

molly361

If we are not concerned with pre existing conditions when do you recommend buying the insurance? Does the price go up as the sail date gets closer?

I suggest that you *call*

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They are a travel insurance broker, and work with several vetted insurers, and each (I think) has more than one policy.

They can explain not only this, but also lots of other pros and cons of different choices, once you explain a bit more about your insurance needs. (They might ask some questions to help them help you, etc. We found them remarkably helpful when we were at your stage only a few years ago.)

One other consideration, in addition to pre-existing conditions, is whether you would want Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR). That can also have deadlines, or cost more if added later.

Also, keep in mind that with general inflation, "prices" of things do occasionally increase, for the identical coverage, although this isn't likely to make a huge difference.

GC

If we are not concerned with pre existing conditions when do you recommend buying the insurance? Does the price go up as the sail date gets closer?

After John's cancer diagnosis in 2013 I learned a lot about third party insurance. We continued booking a lot of cruises and at final payment would evaluate the likelihood of being able to do the trip. Sometimes we would cancel and if not, would add insurance for more expensive trips. CSA covers pre-existing (I realize you don't need that) as long as you buy within 24 hours of final payment. I also used the websites Insuremytrip and Sqaremouth to find possibilities. I lost faith in Squaremouth because a company I used through them gave me an extremely hard time with a claim. The only other claim we had was with CSA and it went beautifully. If buying insurance at the time of final payment, the cost was usually around 10% of trip cost. I don't know how that compares to buying it earlier.