Port Intensive and Picture Intensive Trip Report for Jewel's E Mediterranean cruise

Thursday,11/2/17, Day 14, Day 9 of the cruise – At Sea

Today was a much needed and much appreciated at sea day!!!!! I woke up at 6 am, but it did not look like there would be a sunrise, so I went back to bed until 8 am! Yeah, me! It was just a beautiful day at sea. We went to Chops Grille for breakfast, meeting M&F at 9:30. Wow, it was a shame that we did not do this any other day because it was so great. But we had been limited in our options due to time with such a port intensive itinerary! Very nice service, food, and ambience. The order of "pancakes" actually only has 1 pancake, but it was a “real” pancake such that I have never had a pancake so good on a cruise ship before! Windjammer was a madhouse so we were so happy not to go there. Delicious!

DSC07380_zpskm1ckxfq.jpg

DSC07387_zpsxmusnr7g.jpg

DSC07388_zpsgggpkapy.jpg

DSC07389_zpsqgk2ub2t.jpg

DSC07390_zpsfvziac0c.jpg

Three different butters…

DSC07382_zpsb89atrsg.jpg

We went back to our cabin, but the steward was cleaning, so P&I walked around for a while and then sat at the smoking station on deck 5. 😊 He doesn’t smoke anymore, but it is always a nice spot to sit and there is rarely anyone there! This is the first time that I have mentioned our steward, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t good. He was great! His name was Iskander and he was very on the ball. He always had ice for Phil’s beer bucket and he brought a sugar caddy to the room on his own, when he saw all the sugars that Phil collected for his morning coffee.

DSC07473_zps41aygrpi.jpg

DSC07477_zpsufhb4vat.jpg

DSC03642_zpsgivxvk5j.jpg

The 2nd tour, the galley tour, was bizarre. There were words between Diego (the concierge) and the head chef (if that is who he was). Then, after Diego left, the chef gave the most half-*ss tour we had ever seen. Once he held out a plate and said, “This is a plate.” When Maria went to look at it, thinking there had to be something unusual, he waved her away. Then, he herded us all towards the exit very soon after it started and we left. Someone behind me asked if this was the end of the tour, and I said I didn’t know but we were leaving! Apparently, it was not the end because, later, we met another couple from the tour in the elevator. They said it went from bad to worse when Diego came back, and he and the chef got into an argument. They were yelling at each other in another language, and the chef made a motion pointing with 2 fingers from his eyes to Diego’s in a time-honored fashion that typically means watch out, I’m going to gut you in your sleep. LOL!! That night in the concierge lounge, Frank went up to Diego to see if any problems had resulted for Diego from that because, if so, we would be happy to stick up for him. That chef was awful! Diego said all was fine and taken care of now.

DSC03751_zpsvmx8xfk7.jpg

Evil chef.

DSC03756_zpsebg3bbv7.jpg

DSC03760_zpsnzx4t2tv.jpg

DSC03761_zpsjy9wtdpi.jpg

DSC03762_zpsx4aedbxc.jpg

DSC03763_zps6cmyatp5.jpg

I spent the rest of the day on the balcony reading and dinner was in the MDR. Prime rib was very good. I didn’t write anything else down and I don’t remember another thing from this day. LOL!! There was a gorgeous sunset, though, and I have the pictures to prove it.

DSC03785_zpsge4v9vhy.jpg

My pictures also show tonight was the 2nd formal night. M&F had had issues with their steward walking into their room on a couple of occasions, barely knocking and giving them no time to get situated. Well, tonight the steward had walked in and M had jumped as she was putting on her stockings and she really hurt her hip. She could barely walk with that on top of her torn Achilles heel. Horrible pain!! Luckily, it was much better by tomorrow because Malta had a lot of walking!!

DSC07483_zpsl1ot6gry.jpg

DSC07482_zpsj5tshoml.jpg

DSC07486_zpslge2a4w4.jpg

DSC07487_zps7v5qktoz.jpg

Hard Rock Café is right across from us in the port so that should make getting the requisite t-shirt as easy as possible.

DSC04250_zpsjkxsivi4.jpg

There was an ambulance waiting for the ship when we got there. They took the person away on a stretcher.

DSC04256_zps8v9b9urk.jpg

I also think I saw the clueless assistant waiter from the first night walking off the ship with his luggage. I don’t know for sure, but it looked like him from the back. I feel bad, but maybe better for him in the long run…

DSC04265_zpswyj7asdd.jpg

DSC04287b_zpsdbb5p8cs.jpg

DSC04296b_zpsuzuuje8u.jpg

We had full day Malta Loop tour with My Maltese Guide (400 euros). It was a later port pick up at 9 am so that was a nice change. Again, I had not been aware at booking, but we were provided a driver and a guide. The guide was Josette and the driver was Noel from Ireland with a true Irish accent. Noel was hysterical, so funny, and so personable. He made the trip very pleasurable. He knew a lot of places M&F have gone in Ireland and NY. He gave his card to F at the end of the tour because he comes to the U.S. a lot. He is just helping out his friend, who owns the company. He trains police and military around the world, including in the U.S., and he is THE person who is called in this part of the world when there is a terrorist attack. He wrote a book on it. We did not believe 100% of what he was saying because we are not just off the banana boat, but he was so nice, we did not care. But F looked him up when we got back to the ship, and everything he said was absolutely true. LOL!!! Anyway, regardless, Noel made it a wonderful experience.

There was a lot of walking today. Over 11,000 steps. My daughter told me not to tell anyone how many steps because 10,000 is a goal on fitbit, but that is a lot of steps for us! It was hot and crowded in Malta too. The sights here were very interesting and unique, the churches were beautiful, and the views were gorgeous.

DSC04961_zpssdshbzmd.jpg

DSC04284_zpssgmraxva.jpg

DSC04325_zpseq2dvtek.jpg

DSC04332_zps9psncewx.jpg

DSC04337b_zpspwqvnvmi.jpg

DSC04339_zpswiv4cb6e.jpg