Checking St. Kitts out after 20 years

beshears

We plan to check out St. Kitts after being there almost 20 years ago.

We like the beach, but not snorkeling, etc. I know this is only YOUR opinion, but what would you suggest we see or check out in St. Kitts that you liked?

We like the beach, but not snorkeling, etc. I know this is only YOUR opinion, but what would you suggest we see or check out in St. Kitts that you liked?

Brimstone Fortress was awesome. Also went to the Romney Manor that had tons of beautiful flowers and trees. Absolutely loved it and would say it is probably top 3 with any of the excursions I have done (on any island).

As a long time visitor, one has a personal option, because after 20 years you will notice the difference.

The best beach used to be South Friars Bay (1 bar and 2 BBQ stations), now it is Carambola.

Over the last 3 years Carambola has suffered from an increased infestation of T'erds, and has lost it's attraction for genteel cruisers. Every decent beach spot with a bar has gone "Babylon" with the influx of T'erds

Discerning cruisers now frequent "Sunshine's" on Nevis.

Thanks for your suggestion about St. Kitts. As I said, it has been about 20 years go since I was there, and honesty, I did not find anything there that made me want to come back for a visit. Hopefully this time, I will.:)

I am guessing that your visit will be as a cruise ship passenger as opposed to a "stayover" visitor. The beaches have not changed but your experience at the beach will be different from what it may have been before. Recently they welcomed their millionth visitor for this cruise season. The shopping is like most cruise ship stops in the Caribbean with few exceptions such as Caribelle Batik and maybe a few other places. We tend to avoid the usual tourist stops when we are there or wait until the ships depart to be out & about.

That is good to read that St. Kitts is having more visitors then when we were there. I'm sure there is a drawing card, or people would not come.:)

You mentioned Caribelle Batik. Is that the name of a beach or something else?

Caribelle Batik is located @ Romney Manor, they have batik clothing etc.

The sugar industry closed in about 2005 or so & the government decided to focus on tourism. You really will not recognize the port from what is was. Some days there are as many as 5 or more cruise ships in port. Port loads can get to be over 15,000 pax. They are in the process of adding a second large pier for the cruise ships.

Caribelle Batik is located @ Romney Manor, they have batik clothing etc.

The sugar industry closed in about 2005 or so & the government decided to focus on tourism. You really will not recognize the port from what is was. Some days there are as many as 5 or more cruise ships in port. Port loads can get to be over 15,000 pax. They are in the process of adding a second large pier for the cruise ships.

Sometimes the out of town dock is also used currently for cruise ships. Our last visit on Celebrity required shuttle transfer into town.

The construction of the additional pier will help to lessen the use of the deep water harbor when a number of ships are in port. The additional pier is scheduled to be in use for the 2019-20 cruise season.

Edited by paul58
spelling