ID question when in port

safulton79

If I make a colored photocopy of my driver's license and laminate it can I use this to get on/off the ship in port. I was hoping to not have to take my real liscense off the ship for less chance of losing it. The ports we are going to is Amber Cove, San Juan, Grand Turk and St. Thomas

It does not pay to take a chance.I have been on many cruises and have never lost a document.

How many times have you missed the ship and needed your passport to fly out of the port?;) (Talking cruises in the Caribbean here, not needing it elsewhere in the world). The fact is that both sides of this argument are talking about something that has a very low likelihood of happening.

True.

But I and some of my work colleagues have had times when it was very helpful to pull out the US passport and possibly avoid issues.

According to this article - http://www.vocativ.com/news/241487/fake-passport-prices-black-market/index.html

A US passport is only worth about $2000. A Danish passport is worth twice as much

In the past, passports were worth more, as they could be more easily altered. Modern passports are much harder to replace the picture or change the data on the passport.

And with computers, someone who looks like you, gets your passport, and tries to enter the US, the number is reported stolen, and pops up as such on the screen. And CBP arrests said person.

According to this article - http://www.vocativ.com/news/241487/fake-passport-prices-black-market/index.html

A US passport is only worth about $2000. A Danish passport is worth twice as much

In the past, passports were worth more, as they could be more easily altered. Modern passports are much harder to replace the picture or change the data on the passport.

And with computers, someone who looks like you, gets your passport, and tries to enter the US, the number is reported stolen, and pops up as such on the screen. And CBP arrests said person.

$2000 is still pretty good money. The risk of having a passport stolen isn't high (most are probably stolen because they are with other valuables, such as in a camera bag), having it lost or damaged is also probably not a high possibility for most people. The risk of missing the ship isn't high, either. So travelers need to assess which risk means more to them and act accordingly. Your way works for you. Their way works for them. When it's all said and done you get to enjoy your cruise without any issues as do they.

True.

But I and some of my work colleagues have had times when it was very helpful to pull out the US passport and possibly avoid issues.

And what issues were avoided and how likely were they to really exist? There can certainly be value in carrying a passport in certain parts of the world, but in the Caribbean on a closed loop cruise I don't see the value (unless of course I'm taking a shore excursion that would require it).

True.

And in some parts if the world, the last thing you want to do is let anyone know you are American!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

And in some parts if the world, the last thing you want to do is let anyone know you are American!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, there are times when I am Canadian, eh. :D

It's OK, some Canadian friends have given me permission. :D

Well here's a Canadian who's asking politely that you cease and desist. I get that you may be afraid to admit that you're an American these days, but I'd hate to think that when I'm in another country, people might think I'm also an American pretending to be something I am not.

No problem here with you attempting to pass as one of us. Let me offer some suggestions. The first is to never try and use "eh." Americans who try to use it don't sound natural.

Use Celsius for temperature and kilometers for distance. Know what a double-double is.

Do not attempt to pass in Northern Spain. We aren't that popular there. 25 years ago Canada was in a dispute with the Spanish because they were over fishing in the Grand Banks. Most of the fishing trawlers are out of the north and crewed by Basques. They have a very long memory.

Well here's a Canadian who's asking politely that you cease and desist. I get that you may be afraid to admit that you're an American these days, but I'd hate to think that when I'm in another country, people might think I'm also an American pretending to be something I am not.

Canadians are frequently mistaken for Americans. A person for whom English is a second language may have trouble discerning the often subtle differences in accents. When it happens to me I don't take offense and will politely correct the person saying that I am a Canadian and not a citizen of the U.S.A.

Canadians are frequently mistaken for Americans. A person for whom English is a second language may have trouble discerning the often subtle differences in accents. When it happens to me I don't take offense and will politely correct the person saying that I am a Canadian and not a citizen of the U.S.A.

This has occasionally happened to us as well, and we do the same as you. The person is usually horrified, saying they hope we aren't offended. I usually wear a small maple leaf lapel pin on my shirt to avoid such occurances.

This reminds me of the 70s, when many American backpackers would sew Canadian flag patches on their packs, trying to "pass" when travelling abroad. Didn't like it then, either.

There are enough Canadians in the news and entertainment industries, (is there a difference anymore?), that Canadian accents simply blend into the mix.

Not afraid. Not wanting to be associated with idiots from my country.

I am always very polite and well behaved when I say I am Canadian.

And anyway, I have many Canadian friends who approve of my being Canadian. :D

No problem here with you attempting to pass as one of us. Let me offer some suggestions. The first is to never try and use "eh." Americans who try to use it don't sound natural.

Use Celsius for temperature and kilometers for distance. Know what a double-double is.

Do not attempt to pass in Northern Spain. We aren't that popular there. 25 years ago Canada was in a dispute with the Spanish because they were over fishing in the Grand Banks. Most of the fishing trawlers are out of the north and crewed by Basques. They have a very long memory.

Yeah, I use it sparingly. :D

I can use C and km interchangeably with F and miles. Both a background in science and a LOT of international travel. My car does temp in C. :D

Good to know. I did not realize the Canadians had managed to PO anyone. Oh, except the Canadian who took a pee off the bow of a sailboat in the Royal Danish Yacht Club. :D When we had a sailboat, it was a Canadian made boat.

The funny thing is, I have had several people apologize when I said I was Canadian. Not sure if they were apologizing for being wrong, or for me saying I was Canadian. :D

snip

I'm American but grew up on Lake Erie and we would get Canadian channels on our antenna. I think I picked up a slight accent because I'm not always recognized as American;) When we were in Halifax last year the waitress asked if we were local, but we did state that we were from the US and visiting on a cruise.

There are enough Canadians in the news and entertainment industries, (is there a difference anymore?), that Canadian accents simply blend into the mix.

We watch curling and can usually hear an accent there, but I think just like in the US there are regional accents so it is more pronounced in Calgary and Regina. I can also usually tell if a show is filmed in Canada with primarily Canadian actors. It's subtle, but I'll occasionally catch "aboot" vs "about" and other slight differences.

No - it should stay in the ship's safe

Should you wind up missing the ship, Security will have checked the safe for passports and turned them over to the port authority.

I would rather lose my DL than my passport

Absolutely agree. No need to take your passport if it isn't required. Losing it is too much of a hassle. I take nothing ashore unless it is either needed for the day or required by local laws. Why tempt fate by possibly losing stuff you didn't need to bring ashore? Cruise lines are very good about checking your safe for your passport and turning it over to the port representative if you are going to miss the ship. This simple customer support gesture on the cruise line's part is so well documented that it is not debatable. I have even watched this from my balcony when the hand off occurred immediately prior to the gangplank being removed and our denature.

Edited by sloopsailor

How many times have you been robbed?

How many times have you lost your sail card and photo ID?

It only takes one time to create havoc with a vacation. Not difficult at all to understand that.

Edited by sloopsailor

Not afraid. Not wanting to be associated with idiots from my country.

I am always very polite and well behaved when I say I am Canadian.

And anyway, I have many Canadian friends who approve of my being Canadian. :D

<delete>

I would not count on a copy of Driver's license being accepted as adequate ID> Figure out a way to carry your license in a way you think safe. It isn't very large, awkward size or heavy. :)

Florida now cuts a corner off your expired driver lic' and gives it back to you when you get a new one

I carry my expired one when I run .... has all the required info and a picture ...... it IS a government issued ID ..... not valid for DRIVING but not INVALID ......