Can you still Snorkel with the Stingrays?

JackN

My wife and I are on the June 30 sailing of the Equinox. She loves snorkeling with the Stingrays. We have been twice before and were able to snorkel. But all the recent reviews I have found seem to indicate you just jump in the water and stand there while the rays come to you. Can you still snorkel with the stingrays? If so anyone recommend a specific tour?

Thanks,

JackN

There are two locations, both a bit confusingly known as Stingray City.

One is more properly known as "Stingray City Sandbar" (or Stingray Sandbar) which is the waist-deep area that you describe. The site known as "Stingray City" is a shallow dive site, with a max depth of around 14 feet. The Sandbar is further east, closer to Rum Point.

If you did a full snorkel with fins, then you were probably at the Stingray City site, which is usually visited by dive folks, and others snorkel up above during the fun.

I'm not sure if there are excursions targetted for cruise ship visitors to that site.

There are two locations, both a bit confusingly known as Stingray City.

One is more properly known as "Stingray City Sandbar" (or Stingray Sandbar) which is the waist-deep area that you describe. The site known as "Stingray City" is a shallow dive site, with a max depth of around 14 feet. The Sandbar is further east, closer to Rum Point.

If you did a full snorkel with fins, then you were probably at the Stingray City site, which is usually visited by dive folks, and others snorkel up above during the fun.

I'm not sure if there are excursions targetted for cruise ship visitors to that site.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We just did a 3 stop tour with Acquarius: stingray sandbar, starfish island and Secret Garden snorkel. At the Secret Garden there were 3-4 stingrays just swimming around with us. This was cool. We got lots of pictures and video. Then the sandbar is where you are in the waists deep water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Red Sail Sports used to do a snorkel trip to what they called the Original (or maybe it was Old) Stingray City, which sounds like the place you are describing. The trip also went to the barrier reef. We went twice and thought it was a great trip, but they don't run it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...