Trying different things while on a cruise or vacation

Z'Loth

Most people do......for instance, those Brits in a pub in Spain aren't traveling there because it's Spain, they're traveling there because there's better weather. They don't want Spanish food/music/people, they want British food/music/people, but with sunshine.

Woah there,

Not all Spanish visiting Brits are there for the reasons above. Theres also the fact a Spanish holiday for many people here is very cheap when you have a family. Spain and neighbouring beachy countries are our Caribbean.

As for being in a pub in Spain some Brits/Germans/Belgians etc might be in certain bars because Spanish beer is a bit weak....same in Italy.

I like chains, but I stay away from them on vacation. I don't want things I can get at home. I may hit a margaritaville, senor frogs, or planet hollywood, but that's about it. I want things I wouldn't normally have access too.

There are lots of foods I am not too keen on trying even if I'm not paying for them, like frog legs or escargot. Last vacation, I finally tried conch fritters. They were very good!

Woah there,

Not all Spanish visiting Brits are there for the reasons above. Theres also the fact a Spanish holiday for many people here is very cheap when you have a family. Spain and neighbouring beachy countries are our Caribbean.

Yes, and you've made my point when describing it as being your Caribbean -- you're not going there to visit a foreign country as much as you're going for an inexpensive, warm, beachy environment. Most Americans don't vacation in the Caribbean to immerse themselves in Barbudan or Dominican culture, and most of them enjoy American style food, lodging, and entertainment while they're there. They want the things they love at home, but in a warm, sunny, beachy place.

That's all fine, and it's what an awful lot of people like, all over the world. But it's a different type of travel.

We would be in the minority. Aside from the logistical challenges of buying locally, cruisers tend to favor familiarity and an environment more like home. I've seen people in port go back to the ship to eat lunch because they were too anxious to try a local restaurant in a foreign land.

You're absolutely right. I use the ship as a floating hotel to take me to new places where I can see and experience new things. Many other cruisers see the ship as the destination, with different scenery to go along with the experience. I know I'm not in the majority.

In general I agree cruisers tend not to be a particularly adventurous bunch on the whole. But to be fair, ships have such limited time stops in most places that it is difficult to justify doing some of the things I normally like to do in places where I am staying for a week or more -- such as sit and have a leisurely coffee or meal and people watch, or stroll through a local market, etc.

I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants, I prefer eating food that is locally sourced -- not suggesting this is possible on a cruise ship, but on land I look for those kinds of spots. However sometimes compromise is in order. When I went with my son (high school age, picky eater) to Japan, it was hard for us to find places to eat where he'd be happy and I'd be happy. After a few nights we went to McDonalds once, in desperation, but I told him that was it -- we had to find other alternatives. The next night we discovered noodle houses. After that, all was good. :D

The next night we discovered noodle houses. After that, all was good. :D

I'll take a piping hot bowl of freshly prepared Ramen over a Big Mac any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The whole reason we travel internationally is to experience things we can't at home. I don't think we've ever returned to the ship just to eat. And we absolutely avoid the international chains for lunch. We'd much rather try the local specialties.

Yes, and you've made my point when describing it as being your Caribbean -- you're not going there to visit a foreign country as much as you're going for an inexpensive, warm, beachy environment. Most Americans don't vacation in the Caribbean to immerse themselves in Barbudan or Dominican culture, and most of them enjoy American style food, lodging, and entertainment while they're there. They want the things they love at home, but in a warm, sunny, beachy place.

That's all fine, and it's what an awful lot of people like, all over the world. But it's a different type of travel.

But what I am saying is that not all Brits in Spain (and it's islands) are there for the same reason. Its our Caribbean because its an easy route to getting away from it all....along with Portugal,Turkey and so on.

I certainly don't head to Spain to eat an English Breakfast and dance to One direction at a cheap bar. My parents didn't expect that either when I was on holiday as a youngster.

I like cruising a lot because I can never decide which location and culture to go to....might as well try them all.

Well, of course! I never said that all Brits were doing anything for all the same reason. Or all people. Or any "all".

Thats cool.

It's just certain media outlets like to do that about us Brits. Most of us are actually ok when on holiday...promise :)

Definitely no chain restaurants for us when we're on vacation! We like to try new things, such as spam musubi in Hawaii (I can hear shrieks of outrage about that, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it). Alaska seems to be a good place to find really great pie. No idea why on that, but it does seem to be true.

We would be in the minority. Aside from the logistical challenges of buying locally, cruisers tend to favor familiarity and an environment more like home. I've seen people in port go back to the ship to eat lunch because they were too anxious to try a local restaurant in a foreign land.

And to me, those people should just stay home. Why spend all the money, to go somewhere, and do what you did and eat what you ate at home??????

I'll take a piping hot bowl of freshly prepared Ramen over a Big Mac any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The whole reason we travel internationally is to experience things we can't at home. I don't think we've ever returned to the ship just to eat. And we absolutely avoid the international chains for lunch. We'd much rather try the local specialties.

Curry House (Japan) is international, but very good local style food. :D

I agree, I travel to see how things are there.

But as I said, even McDs is not the same in other countries as in the US. So don't discount them if you have more time in a country (not a cruise).

Even Pizza Hut. Think about it, in Muslim countries, no pepperoni or sausage or ham. :D

But what I am saying is that not all Brits in Spain (and it's islands) are there for the same reason. Its our Caribbean because its an easy route to getting away from it all....along with Portugal,Turkey and so on.

I did not say or infer that ALL Brits do this. In fact, I mentioned that this area attracted a certain demographic and socioeconomic group of Brits.

Definitely no chain restaurants for us when we're on vacation! We like to try new things, such as spam musubi in Hawaii (I can hear shrieks of outrage about that, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it). Alaska seems to be a good place to find really great pie. No idea why on that, but it does seem to be true.

But at McDs in Hawaii you can get spam, rice, and eggs for breakfast. :D

Or even better, Portuguese sausage, rice, and eggs.

Yes, at McDs.

And spam is a food group in Hawaii. If you visit and do not eat any spam, you have not experienced the full island culture.

And spam musabi is GREAT.

And to me, those people should just stay home. Why spend all the money, to go somewhere, and do what you did and eat what you ate at home??????

It's the fundamental difference between cruisers and travelers. For uncertain and cautious people, cruising offers first world accommodation and the certainty of western-style food of reasonable quality that is prepared with due regard to hygiene. It is also why many people gravitate toward familiar fast-food chains while overseas instead of trying the local food stalls on the sidewalk.

I did not say or infer that ALL Brits do this. In fact, I mentioned that this area attracted a certain demographic and socioeconomic group of Brits.

Huh? I was quoting Calliope not any of your posts.

Also the post by him/her stated Brits in a pub in Spain...they didn't quote a region. Although all parts of Spain are hotspots for Brits and Germans...especially the islands as they are even cheaper.

One of my points was that you can't look at a Brit, in a pub on holiday and make a judgement. My husband and I often get 'proper beer withdrawal symptoms' and wind up in an Irish bar with a real craft ale or a Belgian bar with a trippel when all a location has is weak, southern European rubbish. We are then ok and go get some local wine. To be fair on Italy, Spain and co their craft beer scene has got better in recent times.

I do know the certain type of Brit people see on holiday though. People used to call these types 'chavs'.

Unfortunately I have been hit with food poisoning enough that I am easily susceptible to it. I still try to get the local flavor, but need to be less adventurous.

That said, do what you want on your vacation. Some like to be explorers, others are just trying to remember what its like to relax. Laugh - Live - Love and smell the salt air.