Not a pretty topic: Bed bugs

Thrumyeyes

There is always a risk...

Is the word "etiquette" ?

Consider, most people that cannot get rid of their bugs, cannot afford a cruise.

As related, me thinks, most pax that go into the ship's hot tub do NOT pee.

Edited by $hip$hape

I fully realize that bed bugs are not a pretty discussion, nor is it a poor man's carrier. You can get bed bugs just going on a city bus or subway and bring them right on home or unfortunately, in a cab, straight onto a cruise. Was just curious if there's been any history. Thanks for the responses and oh yea, peeing in the hot tub would be bad but not as bad as bringing home bedbugs which can cost a good deal.

I was wondering, are there any stats concerning bed bugs on cruise liners? Are there any ships that have had a problem? Do the cruise lines take care to make sure to check for them?

Have not seen them, nor have I seen statistics.

I was wondering, are there any stats concerning bed bugs on cruise liners? Are there any ships that have had a problem? Do the cruise lines take care to make sure to check for them?

It is not a ship's problem. Bed bugs are brought in by passengers.

There seems to be lot of anecdotal complaints about bed bugs in hotels (even the high- priced ones), but very little concerning cruise ships. That's why, when staying in a hotel, we never put our luggage on the floor or on the bed, whether prior to going on a cruise, or while on a land based vacation.

It is not a ship's problem. Bed bugs are brought in by passengers.

Whaaaaat? Bedbugs are brought on to the ships by LUGGAGE, not people. And once they are aboard, yes, they most certainly would be the ship's problem.

I'm sure it happens, since cross contamination can occur in aircraft luggage holds and hotels. I am equally certain that the ships have a standard protocol for handling bedbug reports immediately, just like hotels do.

Welcome to CC!!! Lovely first post. :o

Hi

Wow, its amazing.

I think this the third similar inquiry in about 3 weeks, all new to cruise critic. I guess the internet has found where all the experts on bed bugs can be found. ;p

Just wondering...for our new member...were you considering going on a cruise soon, or was this just of an academic concern?

I've been on quite a few cruises but am new to cruise critic. In fact, I am going on a cruise next week. It's just something, I guess I've become upset about since hearing about hotels that have had the problem. I was actually at a hotel in Philadelphia during September and I always check for bedbugs. The mattress definitely had previous signs of activity. I decided not to stay in the hotel because I felt if they couldn't make an effort to put a clean mattress down, then maybe they are not being careful enough.

I've been on quite a few cruises but am new to cruise critic. In fact, I am going on a cruise next week. It's just something, I guess I've become upset about since hearing about hotels that have had the problem. I was actually at a hotel in Philadelphia during September and I always check for bedbugs. The mattress definitely had previous signs of activity. I decided not to stay in the hotel because I felt if they couldn't make an effort to put a clean mattress down, then maybe they are not being careful enough.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic, then.

Since you make a point of always checking for bed bugs now, you should be fine. If you find some be sure to come back and let us know.

have a great cruise

Whaaaaat? Bedbugs are brought on to the ships by LUGGAGE, not people. And once they are aboard, yes, they most certainly would be the ship's problem.

I'm sure it happens, since cross contamination can occur in aircraft luggage holds and hotels. I am equally certain that the ships have a standard protocol for handling bedbug reports immediately, just like hotels do.

The luggage belongs to people. Not the ship. The ship doesn't inspect people's luggage for bed bugs. They can't prevent bed bugs anymore than they can prevent Noro.

The luggage belongs to people. Not the ship. The ship doesn't inspect people's luggage for bed bugs. They can't prevent bed bugs anymore than they can prevent Noro.

That's a straw man argument. However bed bugs come onto a ship, once they are there, they become the ship's problem. Of course luggage isn't inspected for bed bugs, but one would expect that ships stewards and cleaners know how to recognize the signs of bed bugs in the areas they are responsible for, just like they would roaches or other pests, and take appropriate action.

In this day and age of instant worldwide Internet access, any cruise line or hotel wants to avoid having their name and bed bugs in the same sentence on a Facebook or TripAdvisor thread. That's why most are very, very prompt at dealing with individual cases, before they become a widespread problem.

Bedbug infestation is a lot more common than most people are aware, and can occur anywhere where there there are large numbers of relatively transient people. Hotels, hospitals, colleges, even theatres . There's no reason to think ships are immune. There's probably not a single hotel in the US that hasn't had a case. What is important is how it is handled.

Edited by mom says

• 4 months later...
I fully realize that bed bugs are not a pretty discussion, nor is it a poor man's carrier. You can get bed bugs just going on a city bus or subway and bring them right on home or unfortunately, in a cab, straight onto a cruise. Was just curious if there's been any history. Thanks for the responses and oh yea, peeing in the hot tub would be bad but not as bad as bringing home bedbugs which can cost a good deal.

Hi. As I never thought I'd be a victim, I brought home bedbugs from a cruise I took in February. I don't know the stats, as cruise lines would probably deny any bed bugs onboard. But my exterminator told me that he has treated many homes whose owners have just returned from cruises. I'm at my wits end, I have been on over 10 cruises and never thought of this happening. It will cost me thousands of $ to rid my home of them.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I have read where some people "claimed" there were bed bugs in their cabin bed. Proof?? None given.

So far we have never encountered them on a ship.

Perhaps there is no proof because the bites can take weeks to cause a reaction. I never dreamt to search my cabin for bedbugs, having been on 10+ cruises. But I sure as heck brought them home with me, where Ive been miserable for the past 6 weeks & it's costing thousands to get rid of them!

We've been on 44 cruises and, I guess, been lucky by not picking up bed bugs. Good friends of ours, on a recent trip, stayed in five star hotels and guess what - they came home with the little critters. Just check out your bed when you first get in your cabin. If they are there you'll probably see the blood stains.

But don't worry, if you come home with them, they can rid your home of these pest.

Edited by Twice_a_year
gramer

We've been on 44 cruises and, I guess, been lucky by not picking up bed bugs. Good friends of ours, on a recent trip, stayed in five star hotels and guess what - they came home with the little critters. Just check out your bed when you first get in your cabin. If they are there you'll probably see the blood stains.

But don't worry, if you come home with them, they can rid your home of these pest.

Don't worry? Do you know how hard it is and how expensive to eradicate these pests once inside your home??