Elevator Roulette

toberman

We play a variation of the game all the time - it doesn't cause any harm to anyone and we are happy to walk and let other ride if there are too many and give priority to those who cannot use the stairs - as with my mother in law.

Simply, the 3 of us arrive at the elevators when going for dinner or breakfast and we all stand in front of a different one, one person presses the call button. We just wait to see who guesses which one elevator will arrive first. Then we all get in the one that arrives. It's purely a guessing game to see who guesses which will be here first. We started it when our son was little so he could look at the numbers and learn which was the nearest in an attemt for him to work it out for himself. We still do it and he's finished school.

It's the same with the tube/metro/subway - we all stand on the platform to guess where the door will be when the train stops.

The one that annoys me is when you get in and someone has pressed all the buttons for every floor as they get out and you have to stop at all the floors.

Jan

We play a variation of the game all the time - it doesn't cause any harm to anyone and we are happy to walk and let other ride if there are too many and give priority to those who cannot use the stairs - as with my mother in law.

Simply, the 3 of us arrive at the elevators when going for dinner or breakfast and we all stand in front of a different one, one person presses the call button. We just wait to see who guesses which one elevator will arrive first. Then we all get in the one that arrives. It's purely a guessing game to see who guesses which will be here first. We started it when our son was little so he could look at the numbers and learn which was the nearest in an attemt for him to work it out for himself. We still do it and he's finished school.

It's the same with the tube/metro/subway - we all stand on the platform to guess where the door will be when the train stops.

The one that annoys me is when you get in and someone has pressed all the buttons for every floor as they get out and you have to stop at all the floors.

Jan

I think your version of elevator roulette sounds entertaining. It doesn't inconvenience anyone else, it gives you a chuckle, and you are all able to ride the next available elevator or tube/metro/subway car. I suspect that we may hear about others who "play" it a similar way.

Yeah, I find it annoying when someone presses all the buttons thinking it's funny, but at least that simply slows things down and doesn't "hog" the elevator or prevent others from riding. I find it bothersome when parents egg on their children to do it because that teaches bad manners, but it's not the end of the world--Unless someone is in a hospital and on the way to emergency surgery! OTOH, I've never seen anyone, child or adult, do that in a hospital.

beachchick

If there is any truth to the story of a couple of families being ejected halfway through a Mexican Riviera cruise on Christmas Eve, it would be helpful for the cruise lines to make clear their rules -and the penalties for violations; also for there to be wider discussion of what penalties can be imposed. Recognizing what the consequences are can be a fairly effective motivation for appropriate conduct.

How about if the parents read the contract that is sent to them before the cruise and then going over basic rules with their kids, such as not throwing anything over board, not pressing the elevator buttons unless it's to the floor they are going to, not going to others' cabins unless approved by the parent, etc. And the parents and other adults also following the rules. It's pretty stupid to do something wrong and then say, oh I didn't know that would get me kicked off the ship.

Not a bunch here I'd want to cruise with. Not a sense of humor among them. I thought it was inventive. Have spent 33 yrs working w/ convicts and the world would be a better place if more kids occupied themselves w/ what amounts to victimless and imaginative pursuits.

So you had to wait for another elevator. Were you on deadline? You're on VACATION.. roll w/ the punches..

There's such a thing as having a sense of humor, but deciding to inconvenience others is stupid and inconsiderate. The ship is not your own personal yacht. I have only been confined to a wheelchair for one week (post childbirth), but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to take the stairs to help out someone else who can't.

ahhhhhhh the Allied Nautical Angst Lobby ..thankfully they don't seem to hang in the bars or at team trivia so I manage to miss most of them when I cruise... might not be doing my liver any good, but it sure contributes to my joie de vivre.

Big Steve, I'll watch for you in the bar.. I think we could pass 30 min or so w/o resorting to an incantation of "the RULES"

• 8 years later...

When we play Elevator Roulette we do not TOUCH the elevators (for you who ride in chairs and on scooters)

We number the elevators from left to right and then stand back next to the stairwells with our number signs in groups and try to guess what elevator will relate to the Question posed by our chosen Game Host. Like "Which elevator will be the next one where a man gets off and has a beard?" Then we hold up our chosen number until it happens..

So rest easily when we play this fun game..we're old and know not to get in the way of you who are swarming for the buffet!

Not a bunch here I'd want to cruise with. Not a sense of humor among them. I thought it was inventive. Have spent 33 yrs working w/ convicts and the world would be a better place if more kids occupied themselves w/ what amounts to victimless and imaginative pursuits.

So you had to wait for another elevator. Were you on deadline? You're on VACATION.. roll w/ the punches..

Right back at you, michmike. What you find amusing and fun is not what mature people find amusing. Inconveniencing people for amusement is childish, selfish and rude, certainly not "innocent". :rolleyes:

I agree, but I think considering our professions we have a warped sense of humor. I don't like kids, but this is a bit of fun that seems like they did to maybe add fun to other people by asking for reservations. It's not like they destroyed anything or just filled the elevator with a bunch of stuff and left it.

As to elevator roulette, it sounds like fun. Have to pick the right spot though so that enough people could gather and not block everything. Maybe do it more like a scorecard or maybe a bingo card? Have to get so many sequences right that way instead of just the limited number of elevators to guess on.

2 teens got bored on HAL and they hijacked the future cruise consultant's desk and a couple of chairs and loaded them into the elevator then rode up and down and as folks tried to board, the boys asked them if they had reservations. Sounds like a relatively innocent and amusing way to pass an afternoon.

I sure hope that they and their parents got kicked off the ship and also that the parents got blackballed for the rest of their lives.

DON

When we play Elevator Roulette we do not TOUCH the elevators (for you who ride in chairs and on scooters)

We number the elevators from left to right and then stand back next to the stairwells with our number signs in groups and try to guess what elevator will relate to the Question posed by our chosen Game Host. Like "Which elevator will be the next one where a man gets off and has a beard?" Then we hold up our chosen number until it happens..

So rest easily when we play this fun game..we're old and know not to get in the way of you who are swarming for the buffet!

OK, that is even easier than my thoughts. I like it.

I agree...they probably didn't think...but that doesn't make it right or make us just overlook it as innocent and funny or "boys will be boys". Teenage boys (and girls...let's not put it all on boys) not thinking has resulted in some pretty horrible things. I'm not saying this "prank" could or would have caused something horrible to happen...just saying that not thinking does not excuse what they did.

I don't think anyone thinks the boys should not be chastised for what they did. But they used their imaginations and the tools at their disposal without damaging anything. Did they annoy a few people who were inconvenienced for 5 minutes of their vacation where they had to wait for the next elevator? Probably, because people already have zero patience and a personal sense of entitlement. But did they also make a few people laugh and get a few chuckles out of their little prank? Probably.

Would you be as upset if it was on land at say a mall? The elevator doors open and a tuxedo dressed man was standing there with a podium and asked if you had reservations for the booth? Would you sign the waiver when you found out it was for a TV show and be all smiles for the cameras?

It's a prank, it's funny, no one gets hurt, and nothing gets damaged. You chew the boys out, you make them put everything back, and you put them in some sort of time out while you go laugh about it. Then in 20 years you bring it back up so you can laugh about it with your now adult children and warn them that their children will be doing the same thing.

I would not have wanted your childhood. Children should be allowed to be childish, not allowing them to be children and forcing them to grow up instantly is no better than thinking that they can do no wrong and not holding them accountable for anything.

And trust me, I see plenty of both of those. And their parents are the first ones to scream that "their" child didn't do anything wrong. Well, except for breaking in to someone's house, stealing their stuff, killing their pet, you know, simple stuff.

I had a great childhood, loaded with lots of kid activities and tons of fun. But, my parents were smart enough to teach us manners, responsibility and showing respect for others. We were not given free reign to disrespect people and cause problems for others. Seems as if yours were a bit short on those life value lessons. What you consider childhood fun, most of us consider delinquency. Teaching children what is acceptable and not acceptable makes them better people as adults. Quite simple, really.

Must be differences in the values children were taught decades ago compared to the minimal values that parents apparently teach them today.

I had a great childhood, loaded with lots of kid activities and tons of fun. But, my parents were smart enough to teach us manners, responsibility and showing respect for others. We were not given free reign to disrespect people and cause problems for others. Seems as if yours were a bit short on those life value lessons. What you consider childhood fun, most of us consider delinquency. Teaching children what is acceptable and not acceptable makes them better people as adults. Quite simple, really.

Must be differences in the values children were taught decades ago compared to the minimal values that parents apparently teach them today.

Holy Crap! now you're insulting the dudes parents?? shame on you! It was a funny prank, get over it!

Possibly, childish pranks where no one was hurt and nothing was damaged, were something that when I was growing up you got grounded for or some other form of light punishment. Not something that warranted execution by firing squad.

Of course we were also encouraged to use our imaginations and not spoon fed from electronic devices (no I am not saying you were either.)

But I would still be curious to know what your reaction would be to an elevator at a mall or hotel opening to find a podium and person in a tux asking if you had reservations. And what your reaction would be when asked to sign the waiver for TV.

Personally I love the Intellivator skits that Ylvis puts on where they remote control an elevator. Sure, it takes a few minutes out of your vacation, but if you can laugh at it should you really shoot the people who made you laugh?

BTW, did you enjoy Candid Camera growing up?

Thought-provoking: while I do not think playing games with elevators is commendable, I do feel that too many cruise passengers are too impatient (or self-important). Having to wait for an elevator, for whatever reason, is not an offense against decency.

People would be happier if they were less uptight about some small wrinkles in their day.

Thought-provoking: while I do not think playing games with elevators is commendable, I do feel that too many cruise passengers are too impatient (or self-important). Having to wait for an elevator, for whatever reason, is not an offense against decency.

People would be happier if they were less uptight about some small wrinkles in their day.

Imagine if these people got in this elevator!