Starboard or port?

taosjellybean

ac97c9491d260a07dfafef121fd9cfbb.jpg

We had an aft cabin for our Valparaiso to Buenos Aires Infinity cruise in Dec 2016. The cruise was awesome.

There was scenery on both sides of the ship but I would choose the port side because the tidewater glaciers are on that side of the ship when you're sailing the Beagle Channel on your way to Ushuaia.

cdc0224c980cc62f13d59fa488f1f060.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great cruise. Both sides have wonderful scenery at times, but overall the edge goes to port on this itinerary. As Don mentioned, there is smoking in some areas port side - if your balcony is high up it shouldn’t be an issue, but on lower decks if near a smoking area and you are sensitive to smoke, it can be an issue.

We booked the port side for our South American Cruise from San Antonio to Buenos Aires. It seems like common sense if you are going in that direction. The only thing is that we are on the 6th deck and I am worried about the smoke. Do you know where the smoking is allowed? We are midship 6195(balcony obstructed). I think port side is good but I also think being low is better as it tends to be rough seas from what I have been told.

We booked the port side for our South American Cruise from San Antonio to Buenos Aires. It seems like common sense if you are going in that direction. The only thing is that we are on the 6th deck and I am worried about the smoke. Do you know where the smoking is allowed? We are midship 6195(balcony obstructed). I think port side is good but I also think being low is better as it tends to be rough seas from what I have been told.

Do you mean 6095? If so, I think the smoking area is directly below you. I personally would avoid that area, but I have a strong sense of smell and hate cigarette smoke.

The smoking area is just aft of the hump outside the Cafe. Your cabin 6195 is further forward with the wind in your favour, it shouldn’t be a problem.

You are correct; I was looking at an M-Class deck plan by mistake when I made my post.

We did the west Buenos Aires to Valparaiso route and were on the Starboard side, and I agree with choosing Portside for this east route. Both have great views, but you’ll see more of the Chilean shore prior to entering the Beagle Channel, and Beagle Channel is fantastic - and the north side (port for you) is especially good. I was impressed as we sailed along the Chilean west coast at night - not a light anywhere, and during the day, beautiful, rugged mountains.

As to the concern of port side smoking areas, I understand each of us have more or less sensitivities, but except for walking through the smoking areas themselves, I’ve never experienced any whiff of smoke from a Balcony, especially while crusing, and not even while in port. But that is subjective. I personally wouldn’t worry about port side SRs.

Den