Using internet while on board. School related!

Mr & Mrs Happy

Hopefully I'm in the right area of the board to ask question.

I take my college classes online but there is an app I use on my phone to access classes if I need to. I'm not sure whether to bring my laptop or not. Or can I use the computer on-board?

On our cruise in October, will the internet on-board be sufficient enough to access the app for my class? I will need to log in every day (5 day cruise).

Hopefully I'm in the right area of the board to ask question.

I take my college classes online but there is an app I use on my phone to access classes if I need to. I'm not sure whether to bring my laptop or not. Or can I use the computer on-board?

On our cruise in October, will the internet on-board be sufficient enough to access the app for my class? I will need to log in every day (5 day cruise).

Congratulations on your dedication! There are computers available to use, should you need to. It is likely that you will need to purchase the highest tier of internet to access your classes. The price is discounted if you purchase for the entire cruise.

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Congratulations on your dedication! There are computers available to use, should you need to. It is likely that you will need to purchase the highest tier of internet to access your classes. The price is discounted if you purchase for the entire cruise.

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.

Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Thank you for the information.

I know exactly what my assignments are in advance. I'll do the assignments in advance for the days I'll be away. Or just take a leave of absence just for that week.

I'd rather spend the extra money on booze...lol.

Prior to your cruise, you may want to think about what can be done off line and then either uploaded or cut and pasted to the internet session.

For instance, I type all the emails off line and then connect to send them. That way I am not paying for wifi time to type and proof read.

Prior to your cruise, you may want to think about what can be done off line and then either uploaded or cut and pasted to the internet session.

For instance, I type all the emails off line and then connect to send them. That way I am not paying for wifi time to type and proof read.

Carnival no longer has a by-the-minute internet package ... one price all day.

Just so you know: Internet access -- especially while at sea -- can be spotty. On the trip I was on last year, there was basically no access to the internet on the two sea days. So even if you purchase it, your ability to use it may be limited. You should either let your instructor know in advance that your ability to access the internet may be limited or take the "leave of absence" you mention so that your grade won't be negatively impacted by lack of internet access.

Good luck with your class and have fun on your trip!

I would also suggest not using your smart phone as your internet device because with that, you'll not only incur download charges but also the $2.49 per minute satellite charge.

On Carnival, it is entirely possible to use your smart phone without incurring satellite charges. Simply put the phone into airplane mode and sign into the ship's wifi service (see charges above). No cell service used = no satellite charges and no huge bill from your carrier.

I didn't think about that as an option. However, I can take a leave of absence for the week that I'll be gone. At least I wont have to stress about this now.

Per her signature, she is going on Carnival. I was able to answer her question for her.

For those of us using the mobile app Tapatalk, we do not have the ability to see signatures. Also many people have them turned off in their settings as well. So you cannot depend on the signature to give people clues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

For those of us using the mobile app Tapatalk, we do not have the ability to see signatures. Also many people have them turned off in their settings as well. So you cannot depend on the signature to give people clues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

I wasn't criticizing, just informing.

You mentioned using an app to access your classes. Which LMS are your classes hosted in? Blackboard, D2L, Canvas, Moodle, eCollege, or one of the smaller ones?

I would not depend on the ship computers to access the LMS, particularly Canvas. If you don't have an up to date browser, for example, you cannot log in. There may not be enough bandwidth to allow it, either.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Taking a leave is probably the best idea. It sounds like you have the dedication to do as many assignments ahead of time as possible You'll enjoy your cruise much more not having to worry about school. (I am a university professor and advisor, and this is the advice I'd give to a student in a similar situation.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mentioned using an app to access your classes. Which LMS are your classes hosted in? Blackboard, D2L, Canvas, Moodle, eCollege, or one of the smaller ones?

I would not depend on the ship computers to access the LMS, particularly Canvas. If you don't have an up to date browser, for example, you cannot log in. There may not be enough bandwidth to allow it, either.

I take online classes at the University of Phoenix.

I use the app on my phone if I need to access classes while I'm out and about. Otherwise, I will use my laptop.

Taking a leave is probably the best idea. It sounds like you have the dedication to do as many assignments ahead of time as possible You'll enjoy your cruise much more not having to worry about school. (I am a university professor and advisor, and this is the advice I'd give to a student in a similar situation.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could do all my classes in advance but the problem is that we are required to have 8 substantive posts over 3 days. Also, just logging in doesn't register that we're actually in class. Those are my main concerns. So I will be taking a leave of absence for peace of mind. I'd only be missing a week anyway.

I take online classes at the University of Phoenix.

I use the app on my phone if I need to access classes while I'm out and about. Otherwise, I will use my laptop.

I don't know which LMS the University of Phoenix uses, but I would not depend on the ship's internet to connect. The leave of absense is definitely your best solution.

FWIW, I also work as a university instructor and in LMS support. There are some places where you just cannot do the required work because the Internet is not fast enough for what is expected in today's online courses.

• 1 year later...

If your classes involve using an online meeting service, be aware that, by it's nature, Satellite Internet has extreme high response time (latency) of 2-4 seconds, which will result in a poor quality meeting experience. Because some online sessions utilize VoIP (Computer audio), Webcam video, and/or desktop/application sharing, it could be classified as a high-bandwidth application, and not be allowed. (Imagine multiple passengers watching a Netflix show.)

Having said that, there are plenty of places at the ports that will have WiFi access. So, bring your laptop.

If your classes involve using an online meeting service' date=' be aware that, by it's nature, Satellite Internet has extreme high response time (latency) of 2-4 seconds, which will result in a poor quality meeting experience. Because some online sessions utilize VoIP (Computer audio), Webcam video, and/or desktop/application sharing, it could be classified as a high-bandwidth application, and not be allowed. (Imagine multiple passengers watching a Netflix show.)

Having said that, there are plenty of places at the ports that will have WiFi access. So, bring your laptop.[/quote']

Oh ok . Thank you. I only anticipate assignment upload and discussion boards. But my husband might have to meet so I'll keep that in mind.

I would also suggest not using your smart phone as your internet device because with that, you'll not only incur download charges but also the $2.49 per minute satellite charge.

Not if you connect to the ship's wifi.

Put your phone into Airplane or Flight mode, then turn WiFi back on. Connect and go.