Sydney Hotel Help

trbarton

I’m traveling to Sydney in March, 2019 for a Princess Cruise. Since I’ve never been to Australia before any suggestions as to what area to stay in would be helpful. Looking for something reasonably priced up to $150 US$

Of course with public transportation nearby would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Tom😀

$150 wont go far in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Ideally the closer you are to circular quay the better (In terms of walking distance to the port), however if you head away from the city and the port you should find something reasonable. Maybe around central station or North Sydney, both easy access to the city by public transport.

Others may recommend Darlinghurst, Potts point, close to the city but close to Kings Cross and all that it entails...

That's AUD 190.00 doable, if booked in advance and at a non flexible rate.

Check accor hotels.com

They have a lot of properties in a wide range of prices, and their booking engine has a practical location map, showing the properties.

As mentioned, Sydney is very expensive. If you stay in the Rocks area, you can easily spend US$350 and up.

We booked in Potts Point area for just this reason. We will be close to buses and train and that will work fine for us.

Be sure to check reviews of hotels on a site like Tripadvisor. Stuff that looked great pricewise didn't do so well once I thoroughly researched the hotel. And expect small hotel rooms in less expensive hotels.

Also, look carefully at the price quote you get online from a hotel. I had a lot of exorbitant pricing show up until I realized the price was for my entire stay, not per night as I expected.

Another option, if you are staying for a bunch of days, is Airbnb, with use of an apartment with a full kitchen.

Sometimes the Sir Stamford Hotel will run a "flash sale" on their website, with incredible price reductions.

We managed to book our stay for next month at this special rate ( 3 nights for the price of 1 night). If I recall, the flash sale was last October.

Since your trip is not until next year, it may be worthwhile to check their prices from time to time.

One of the other options is to stay at the airport. You can get lower per night prices and you can catch a train or uber into the city. Last time we were here we took a uber and it cost $25 and the train I think is $18.50 each from the airport.

While this may not be the pretty view it provides a good port of call and normally for a reasonable price.

However there is lots to see and do if you stay in the CBD.

Sometimes the Sir Stamford Hotel will run a "flash sale" on their website, with incredible price reductions.

We managed to book our stay for next month at this special rate ( 3 nights for the price of 1 night). If I recall, the flash sale was last October.

Since your trip is not until next year, it may be worthwhile to check their prices from time to time.

Sir Stamford is nice.

Used to be a Ritz Carlton and a VD Hospital. (I trust they disinfected the rooms). Lovely and cosy, plush bar.

You can use consolidator sites like booking.com.au or wotif.com.au to enter your price range in and then view their locations on the map.

For that price I would reduce your expectations beyond a hopefully comfortable mattress.

I paid $190 per night to stay in the YHA Rocks hostel in Dec. Queen room with bathroom - no frills - a bed, chair, robe, desk with kettle. Awesome view of the harbour. And even better from the roof garden.

As mentioned, Sydney is very expensive. If you stay in the Rocks area, you can easily spend US$350 and up.

We booked in Potts Point area for just this reason. We will be close to buses and train and that will work fine for us.

Be sure to check reviews of hotels on a site like Tripadvisor. Stuff that looked great pricewise didn't do so well once I thoroughly researched the hotel. And expect small hotel rooms in less expensive hotels.

Also, look carefully at the price quote you get online from a hotel. I had a lot of exorbitant pricing show up until I realized the price was for my entire stay, not per night as I expected.

Another option, if you are staying for a bunch of days, is Airbnb, with use of an apartment with a full kitchen.

Use combo of points and $$ and you could do the Park Hyatt for under $300USD/night. Perfect hotel in a perfect location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have stayed at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay twice with a third stay scheduled for upcoming March. We were able to book the Sydney Sir Stamford about eleven months ago for a great rate which included a cooked (versus buffet) breakfast. We are flying to Brisbane for a few days before flying to Sydney, and the Brisbane Sir Stamford also had a similar great rate which included a cooked breakfast. Both those rates were located on the Sir Stamford website and were in conjunction with a promotion thorough American Express.

Here’s a hotel I found on the harbor, Ibis Sydney Darling Harbour at $218 US for 2 nights. It’s right on the harbor. Good reviews on Trip Advisor.

What do other people think?

Tom[emoji41]

Ibis hotels are the low end of the Accor hotel group (Sofitel would be at the top end. Ibis is pretty much bare bones (not unlike a Holiday Inn Express).

Ibis hotels are the low end of the Accor hotel group (Sofitel would be at the top end. Ibis is pretty much bare bones (not unlike a Holiday Inn Express).

Wherever you decide to book, do it sooner rather than later. Often events and conventions drive up prices at random weekends.

Agree.

It's decent and clear, but basic.

If you do not need luxury and just a place to sleep and take a shower, something like the Ibis is fine.

Just don't be confused by someone telling you that it is right by the harbour. It's right by DARLING harbour. You won t be seeing the Opera House!

And check for possible construction noise. A lot of activity in the area for the foreseeable future.

We booked the Hotel Challis for $160 US. It's in the Potts Point district and walking distance to public transportation and many sites. It is a smaller boutique hotel. The rooms are very small, but reviews show the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are very clean. Another option could be the Holiday Inn Potts Point for about the same price. It's located right next to the metro station.

We booked the Hotel Challis for $160 US. It's in the Potts Point district and walking distance to public transportation and many sites. It is a smaller boutique hotel. The rooms are very small, but reviews show the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are very clean. Another option could be the Holiday Inn Potts Point for about the same price. It's located right next to the metro station.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve looked at a lot of places & this place seems to be just right. I’ve looked at the hotels web site which is a high. I also looked at another hotel booking site & found a rate of $136 per night for a king bed room.

Tom😀

Probably too early.

One of my favourite pre cruise stays, but outside the range you set as a geral rule.

I’m aware now that the hotels in Sydney are very expensive. I’ve emailed the hotel for a rate for my dates in March 2019 as most sites don’t show March 2019 yet. What kind of room did you get? Some places apparently have small rooms. What can you tell me about the room & how did you get from the airport & to the cruise terminal? I’m considering using UBER.

What can you tell me about the area?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I’m aware now that the hotels in Sydney are very expensive. I’ve emailed the hotel for a rate for my dates in March 2019 as most sites don’t show March 2019 yet. What kind of room did you get? Some places apparently have small rooms. What can you tell me about the room & how did you get from the airport & to the cruise terminal? I’m considering using UBER.

What can you tell me about the area?

Thanks!

Tom😀

We need a wheelchair accessible room, so it’s difficult to comment on room size.

As I’m in Australia, only a couple of hours drive, our daughter normally drives us, or we park our car in Sydney. But if I were flying in I’d either get a taxi ($50 or 60) or the Train to Circular Quay Station ($18 ea) and a short walk (maybe 10 minutes). I’ve never used Uber so really can’t comment, but others report good experiences with them.

Probably the best part of the HI is it is directly opposite the OPT.

Another option is The Grace in York street, a beutiful Art Deco building, they do have some very large rooms, but I’m not sure of the categories you’d need to request a big room. It’s a usually a bit less than the HI, a bit further from the OpT, maybe a $10-20 taxi fare.

Oops sorry.

Firstly the Grace you’d possibly want the Superior category room (Mrs Gut says that’s the name anyway) they are huge maybe 45 Sqm.

The area.

Holiday Inn is the Rocks, an old area, the first part of Sydney settled, as I said right at the terminal. Only he terminal and ferry Quay between you and the Opera House, a very safe part of Sydney.

The Grace is in York Street, one or two streets back from the Main Street of Sydney handy to shops etc.