Assault on the Elation

hard_eight

No blame just a question, why would a Mom leave her child alone in a Hot Tub?

Exactly. Cruise ships are no different than small cities, although everybody doesn't know everybody else. There could be predators in any given population.

It doesn't make the assault okay or lessen the impact on the child, but you can't overlook personal responsibility. A cruise line is not a baby sitter. The perp should still get everything coming to him and the parent should have been watching.

I believe the article states she was 18 but has the mental capacity of a young teenager....but still most of us would leave a young teenager at the pool while we went to grab a drink, or use the facilities or get some fries at the buffet etc..

To everyone debating whether the victim was a child, or asking where the mom was, these questions don’t matter. An act of sexual misconduct occurred and it doesn’t matter what the victim’s age was or if she was alone. None of these variables should shift the full blame away from the perpetrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

It could have happened whilst her Mother was in the hot tub as well. Nobody can see beneath the bubbles, and some sick people would use this as an opportunity for assault. If the hot tub was full, probably be even easier to do.

To everyone debating whether the victim was a child, or asking where the mom was, these questions don’t matter. An act of sexual misconduct occurred and it doesn’t matter what the victim’s age was or if she was alone. None of these variables should shift the full blame away from the perpetrator.

Exactly.... Sounds like he may have targeted her (easier to get at) but it could have happened to any female of any age....special needs or not. Regardless it was wrong and this person should be fully prosecuted. What jurisdiction does it fall under when the ship is in International waters???

Spot on!!

I completely agree with you.

I believe the article states she was 18 but has the mental capacity of a young teenager....but still most of us would leave a young teenager at the pool while we went to grab a drink, or use the facilities or get some fries at the buffet etc..

I’m assuming this was at night, given what happened. I would not leave a teen with diminished mental capacity or a child in a hot tub at night on a cruise ship or on the grounds of a resort.

I just hope she wasn’t completely traumatized by what happened.