Specialty dining questions

doug52

We are going on the 11 day Cook Island cruise this May, and since we will have 11 nights to have PG dining, I am thinking we will want to experience both menus for the two specialty restaurants, if possible.

So, my plan is to book the first night in Bora Bora at Le Grill once we board. I assume that would be the second menu for Le Grill? It would be night 7 of our cruise.

To experience the first menu for Le Grill, I am considering trying to book it for our first night while we are still docked. Is that a good idea or is it too loud and not the best atmosphere to eat there while we are still docked?

And, for La Veranda, I am thinking the first sea day (3rd night) and then the second menu on our other Bora Bora night(night 8 of our cruise).

Any feedback on this plan? We are newbies so I am hoping to experience all three restaurants multiple times. Obviously, this plan means we would have 7 nights in the main restaurant, as well. And, I know from reading on here that the second reservation opportunity is not guaranteed.

So, my first order of business after we embark would be to book Le Grill for BB and La Veranda for the first sea day. And then, if we can get the other dates, great, and if not we go to the main restaurant, which sounds fabulous anyway.

And, while I am at it with questions, any favorites in either Le Grill or La Veranda that you especially enjoy?

Thanks for any feedback,

Doug

We are going on the 11 day Cook Island cruise this May, and since we will have 11 nights to have PG dining, I am thinking we will want to experience both menus for the two specialty restaurants, if possible.

So, my plan is to book the first night in Bora Bora at Le Grill once we board. I assume that would be the second menu for Le Grill? It would be night 7 of our cruise.

To experience the first menu for Le Grill, I am considering trying to book it for our first night while we are still docked. Is that a good idea or is it too loud and not the best atmosphere to eat there while we are still docked?

And, for La Veranda, I am thinking the first sea day (3rd night) and then the second menu on our other Bora Bora night(night 8 of our cruise).

Any feedback on this plan? We are newbies so I am hoping to experience all three restaurants multiple times. Obviously, this plan means we would have 7 nights in the main restaurant, as well. And, I know from reading on here that the second reservation opportunity is not guaranteed.

So, my first order of business after we embark would be to book Le Grill for BB and La Veranda for the first sea day. And then, if we can get the other dates, great, and if not we go to the main restaurant, which sounds fabulous anyway.

And, while I am at it with questions, any favorites in either Le Grill or La Veranda that you especially enjoy?

Thanks for any feedback,

Doug

Typically they only allow you to reserve one night in each restaurant at the beginning of the cruise. About 5 days in you can book another round .... the reasoning is to allow everyone a chance to experience each specialty restaurant before allowing second passes. I've always been able to get a second reservation at the same restaurant so don't sweat it ...

Typically they only allow you to reserve one night in each restaurant at the beginning of the cruise. About 5 days in you can book another round .... the reasoning is to allow everyone a chance to experience each specialty restaurant before allowing second passes. I've always been able to get a second reservation at the same restaurant so don't sweat it ...

TBK, how about the first night while we are still docked and cruisers have still not arrive from the late flight into Tahiti?

I was thinking about just showing up at Le Grill around 7 pm and see if he had reservations available since it is the first night. Would that be a good experience while still docked in Papeete or would we be better off in the L'Etoile?

Thanks,

Doug

We ate dinner at Le Grill on the last night of the cruise after returning to Papeete and it was great! It helped that we were literally one of 3 tables eating there that night so service was incredibly fast, but there was no issue with noise in the harbor or anything like that. In fact, it was nice to have the lights of the city in the background.

We ate dinner at Le Grill on the last night of the cruise after returning to Papeete and it was great! It helped that we were literally one of 3 tables eating there that night so service was incredibly fast, but there was no issue with noise in the harbor or anything like that. In fact, it was nice to have the lights of the city in the background.

Great, thanks Dana! I think I will just make my two reservations as described above when we first embark, and then just show up at Le Grill on the first night and see if we can be seated. If we can, great, and if not, we just head down to L'Etoile.

And, I am enjoying your review on Celebrity, we leave on our next cruise with them one year from now.

Doug

Great, thanks Dana! I think I will just make my two reservations as described above when we first embark, and then just show up at Le Grill on the first night and see if we can be seated. If we can, great, and if not, we just head down to L'Etoile.

And, I am enjoying your review on Celebrity, we leave on our next cruise with them one year from now.

Doug

Your asking about the first night and deladane is talking about the last night ....

Don't hold me to this but I'm not sure if the specialty restaurants are open the day you go on board. I've never eaten at one the day you arrive .... maybe someone else can chime in and answer.

Your asking about the first night and deladane is talking about the last night ....

Don't hold me to this but I'm not sure if the specialty restaurants are open the day you go on board. I've never eaten at one the day you arrive .... maybe someone else can chime in and answer.

Yes, but I was mostly interested in the ambiance of Le Grill as we sit in the port in Tahiti, regardless of whether it was the first or last day.

But, you bring up a point I had not considered, are the specialty restaurants open on embarkation day?

Well, even if I don't get an answer on this, my plan is the same, make the two reservations and check with Le Grill at around 7 pm on the first day. If they are not open, or if there are no reservations available, we head down to L'Etoile. :D

Doug

Edited by doug52
delete a word

Ok, I did a quick search of this forum and found the following response from PG back in 2015:

Hello Domlec,

On cruise embarkationday, dinner dining is available in L'Etoile and La Veranda.

EmbarkationDay Hours:

Afternoon Tea is served from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Dinner:

L'Etoile: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

La Veranda: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

24-Hour Room Service is also available.

We hope to see you soon on the m/s Paul Gauguin!

Paul Gauguin Cruises

So, unless it has changed, Le Grill is closed on embarkation day.:(

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

You must be getting excited for your upcoming trip, just around the corner in May. :)

My husband and I will be on the PG for the first time as well, we are celebrating our 10th Anniversary and a milestone birthday this July, so I am looking forward to your reflections when you return.

I like your game plan for the reservations! Too bad that Le Grill is not open on embarkation day, as it would be nice to have the first dinner out on the deck with Tahiti in the background.

Have a wonderful time!

:) Lisa

Yes, it's not noisy in the harbour at Papeete at all, except sometimes in a nice way. I think the staff are just a bit overworked on that first night, and people are getting their bearing. In the "olden days", neither specialty was open on embarkation night, just L'Etoile. My only advice is to avoid Le Grill on sea days, especially if the weather coming and going from the Cooks is bouncy or windy at all.

TBK, how about the first night while we are still docked and cruisers have still not arrive from the late flight into Tahiti?

I was thinking about just showing up at Le Grill around 7 pm and see if he had reservations available since it is the first night. Would that be a good experience while still docked in Papeete or would we be better off in the L'Etoile?

Thanks,

Doug

The Le Grill isn't open on the first night while you are in port. You will need to pick a different night. The Le Grill is our favorite place to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the comments and input. My new plan is to try and book Le Grill for our 4th night when we leave from Aitutaki at 6 pm and are only going to Rarotonga the next day. This should still be the first menu based on what I have read. Also, to sit outside leaving from a Cooks island, it may be a little cooler than the Societies.

However, I will first be booking Le Grill for one of the two BB nights to experience it while anchored. So, I will speak to the Maitre d when we board to see what he will allow, first priority is BB. And, if he doesn't allow me to book Le Grill for both nights(to experience both menus), I will check with him again when we return from our Teking excursion on Aitutaki and see if he is fully booked for that night. On previous cruises, when I seek out the Maitre d and look to book something special, I typically have a $20 bill handy that I provide to show appreciation for his help. With PG's tipping policy is this not appropriate?:confused:

Doug