Train Seattle to Vancouver

Has anyone taken the train from Seattle to Vancouver? We would do this one day in advance of sailing. Looks like a nice scenic ride but not sure about location of train station in Vancouver and if it is a safe area. Also is there a hotel close by the train station? We can fly into Vancouver as air fare is OK but thought the train would be a fun way to spend the day. Would also appreciate information on train station in Seattle.

Any help or comments would be welcome.

Thoughts....

• check the train schedule. Typically two trips a day. One departing super early and the second train arrives really late at night.
  • The Vancouver train station is a short $10 cab ride to most downtown hotels. You don't want the hotels near the train station.

We have done this trip, very easy and lovely scenery along the coast.

Took the early morning train & arrived jus5 before midday so lots of folk around.

Plenty of taxis/cabs at the train station, took one to Pan Pacific, it was a splurge but very convenient for the cruise.

FG :D

I live less than 2 blocks from the station and I wouldn't set foot in any of the hotels in the immediate vicinity - some are now Hostels (student/backpacker type, that get good reviews as far as such places go) but the rest are extremely rundown, Single Room Occupancy buildings (basically the cheapest possible long term housing option - and most are quite literally fleapits). Lots of new restos, condo buildings etc and the city's main hospital is moving in right next to the station (with an on-site hotel that should be nice & shiny), so the 'hood is very much gentrified in all other ways (no worries about safety on the streets), but no nice hotels.

You don't need to go all the way to the pier to get decent hotels though - the closest 'clump' would be around Beatty Street, with the Hampton Inn, YWCA Hotel, Georgian Court, Sandman and Blu all on the same block between Dunsmuir and Robson. The Y especially is a heckuva deal - cheaper than any airport hotel, great location, and extremely safe (some rooms are used for short-term housing for spouses & kids escaping abusive homes, so unlike the average hotel rentacop the onsite security is actually competent).

These all put you bang on a mile from the pier for embarkation - but then literally any downtown hotel is close to the pier, and also the train station, compared to most cruise ports. We're a very, very compact city.

Thank you for the information. The train looks like a nice trip so I appreciate all your information. It is an early train from Seattle so I need to check on the Seattle area around the train station.

Thank you for the information. The train looks like a nice trip so I appreciate all your information. It is an early train from Seattle so I need to check on the Seattle area around the train station.

We have stayed at the Best Western plus Pioneer Square. Close to the waterfront and train station. Comfortable hotel. Highly recommend it.

We are planning to take the evening train from Seattle to Vancouver. My question is, with such a late arrival in Vancouver, how difficult will it be to get a cab at that hour (scheduled arrival of 11:00 PM with no delays)? Our hotel is the Hampton Inn on Robson St so I'm not sure of any other way to get there other than cab.

We are planning to take the evening train from Seattle to Vancouver. My question is, with such a late arrival in Vancouver, how difficult will it be to get a cab at that hour (scheduled arrival of 11:00 PM with no delays)? Our hotel is the Hampton Inn on Robson St so I'm not sure of any other way to get there other than cab.

Not even remotely difficult. Cabs line up at the station whenever Amtrak comes in. They even check the schedule - since trains are VERY infrequent, there's no point being there when trains are not arriving! - so even if the train is early or late there will always be a line of them.

Not even remotely difficult. Cabs line up at the station whenever Amtrak comes in. They even check the schedule - since trains are VERY infrequent, there's no point being there when trains are not arriving! - so even if the train is early or late there will always be a line of them.
Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Actually taxis are there more than just when trains arrive - it is also the Greyhound bus terminal.

Cheers!

Dennis

D'oh! Thanks for the reminder Dennis. How could I forget Greyhound (who have a wee small hours arrival we even came in at the same time as on one particularly-late train c.2am) - Cantrail's midnight arrival or even Bolt's 10pm could potentially overlap with the train too if one service is late.