Carnival Freedom vs Breeze itineraries for 4 yr old granddaughter

Hayleesgigi

we are trying to decide between taking our 4 year old granddaughter on Freedom to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel or on Breeze to Key West,Freeport and Nassau. Convenient and safe beaches are probably what she’d enjoy most. Has anyone been to these ports recently and have any thoughts to share? We’ve been to all of them a few times but did more exciting shore excursions and bars and that won’t be the case this time!

Thanks for info.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't take a four year old to Key West UNLESS you are staying away from Duval Street. Lots of adult situations can be encountered. It's a wild place sometimes. We went there with our kids having no idea what we were getting into. My kids could read and we had to cover eyes so they wouldn't read the T-shirts being sold.

we are trying to decide between taking our 4 year old granddaughter on Freedom to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel or on Breeze to Key West,Freeport and Nassau. Convenient and safe beaches are probably what she’d enjoy most. Has anyone been to these ports recently and have any thoughts to share? We’ve been to all of them a few times but did more exciting shore excursions and bars and that won’t be the case this time!

Thanks for info.

To me, it is a toss up.

Montego Bay - I don't feel safe in Jamaica, and always hire a private company to tour there. Last trip, our guide had to drive away people trying to charge us for taking photos. So, if you chose this trip, look on TA and find something that appeals.

Grand Cayman - great port for kids. Not only do they have the turtle farm (sting rays if she is adventurous) but also 7 mile beach.

Cozumel - also a great beach port for kids. you can look on the ports of call boards for various suggestions. We have always enjoyed the animal encounters at Chankanaab.

Key West - not really a beach port. But you can take the tram around, go to the southern most point, get chocolate covered frozen key lime pie on a stick, enjoy the butterfly and pirates museums, auqarium etc.

Freeport - easily a beach port at Our Lucaya

Nassau - spend big bucks on Atlantis, or get a day pass at the Hilton? Also, my kids like the zoo (Adastra Gardens) and you could go to Junkanoo beach for free and have some great local food in site of the ship.

So...Freedom has 2 good and 1 bad port, and Breeze 3 mediocre ports. Toss up??? My boys are older, so I would probably chose on ships and pick the Breeze...but younger I might go Freedom, depending on what I could find that appealed for Jamaica.

We did the Vista last fall with our then 3 year old. It visited Ocho Rios (Jamaica), Grand Cayman and Cozumel and our little one had a blast! In Ocho Rios, we booked a tour to Blue Hole with Richard Riley and Liberty Tours. We never felt a bit unsafe there. Our driver for the tour and the guides at Blue Hole were amazing! Our guides that helped us navigate Blue Hole were so good with our little one. They carried her in the more treacherous areas and I felt totally at ease with her being there. She even did one of the smallest jumps with me. In Grand Cayman, we just took a taxi bus to Seven Mile Beach and in Cozumel we spend the day at Playa Mia beach club. She loved both of our days at the beach. Playa Mia is wonderful for kids. They have a great splash park and water slides and the beach is wonderful. We did the day pass that included the buffet lunch. It was a good mix of Mexican and American cuisine. Plenty of options for even the pickiest of eaters (hot dogs, mac & cheese, jello salad, etc.). We just took a taxi there and paid at the entrance to the park. There was even a nice little playground that our daughter enjoyed before we headed back to the ship.

Shipwise - I've been on both. The Breeze is my favorite ship and has more activities for the little ones. My daughter loved the splash park on the Vista and I know the Breeze has a similar one. I think she got a little overwhelmed because the pools were so full and chaotic. But the splash park was a little more her speed! My daughter also loved go into the arcade and playing those little claw games - I think she "won" 7 little rubber duckies playing those. Breeze also has the Thrill Theater and more outdoor play areas for kids. Ours at that age loved the Dr. Seuss themed activities - which should be available on both ships.

This is a tough one. I think the Breeze is definitely the better ship for kids, but I would prefer the itinerary on the Freedom more. I think it comes down to whether you think ship time outweighs the port time.

This is a tough one. I think the Breeze is definitely the better ship for kids, but I would prefer the itinerary on the Freedom more. I think it comes down to whether you think ship time outweighs the port time.

Could not agree more. The ports on the Freedom versus the Breeze as the ship is your decision. Freeport and Nassau are the worst two Bahamian/Caribbean ports that there are and Key West is more adult oriented, this is from first hand experience on 27 cruises in the region. So unless you plan on staying on the Breeze the entire time, I would go with the better ports and sail the Freedom.

Thanks for the replies. We are all in agreement, Breeze is the better ship and Freedom has the better itinerary! I decided to pay a little more and go on a RCL Liberty of Seas instead for better ship with the better itinerary. I used Cruise Compete for quotes and got a great price. Win-Win!

Happy sailing!