Lap blankets for use on personal balcony

ATLSwissyMom

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise this coming May to Alaska on the Solstice. Are lap blankets available for use on your personal balcony?

We have cruised the Caribbean on other lines and love drinking our morning coffee on the balcony watching the the water go by and am trying to decide if I need to pack a small blanket.

Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we sailed the Baltics and British Isles they had blankets all over the ship. Actually where the towels usually are they have blankets. We would grab a couple at sail away and keep them in our cabin for use on the balcony.

I would have to assume if it is cool they will have blankets available.

We sailed in August so it was cool at certain times.

I plan on asking for those blankets on every cruise- even warm weather voyages. They are small squares but do the trick and come in handy for an afternoon nap in the cabin as well as using them on the veranda.

Alaska is a difficult cruise to pack for especially in May.

I would recommend gloves, earmuffs or a hat of some kind to keep your hands and head warm while on the balcony or sometimes when in port.

Many ports have rain ponchos for free but it may be better to take your own rain jacket to also use as a windbreaker.

On the plus side you can also pick up reasonable souvenir sweat shirts if you need some more clothes to stay warm

Always dress in layers when going into port as the temp really changes and use sunscreen. Plus have good hiking or rugged walking non slip shoes/boots

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Always had blankets available on Alaska cruises. Second the good advice regarding dressing for Alaska - always layers and always prepare to be rained on. Weather in May is likely to be upper 50's in southern Alaska and as low as the 40's closer to Anchorage (although Solstice doesn't go that far north). It could be a little warmer than that, but not likely much more. Definitely bring hats, gloves, and a scarf is nice as well. Shoes may get wet from the rain so make sure to have a spare pair as there are no dryers on Celebrity ships.

The ships have them, even in hot weather. We were on the Equinox last summer and it started to rain during the hot glass show and staff brought out blankets and umbrella for everyone watching the show that was not covered!

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses! I will take “small blanket” off of my packing list and will remember the various drink methods used to warm up 🤣.

The layering advice is appreciated and consistent with the research I’ve done - it also makes trying to pack for this cruise (and our five-day Oregon Coast Road trip afterwards) a bit tricky [emoji3]. The temperatures look like it will be extra cold this year - highs in the upper 40s/low 50s in most stops unless there is a significant warm up.

My husband loves to accuse me of being an over packer and while I have been known to overpack, I believe I would have been a great Boy Scout as I am always prepared. Given the cross country flight, the road trip and “elavator-less” accommodations arrangements, I would like to keep us down to one medium checked suitcase each. We will see if I can do it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ATLSwissyMom
  • Like 1

Thank you so much to everyone for your responses! I will take “small blanket” off of my packing list and will remember the various drink methods used to warm up ��.

The layering advice is appreciated and consistent with the research I’ve done - it also makes trying to pack for this cruise (and our five-day Oregon Coast Road trip afterwards) a bit tricky [emoji3]. The temperatures look like it will be extra cold this year - highs in the upper 40s/low 50s in most stops unless there is a significant warm up.

My husband loves to accuse me of being an over packer and while I have been known to overpack, I believe I would have been a great Boy Scout as I am always prepared. Given the cross country flight, the road trip and “elavator-less” accommodations arrangements, I would like to keep us down to one medium checked suitcase each. We will see if I can do it [emoji3]

Alaska is pretty informal so I packed jeans in dark blue, brown and black....they wear well and the dark colors can hide a lot of mishaps....for tops I packed 2 sweat shirts (and bought them as souvenirs along the way), several sweaters ranging from heavy (1); medium (2) and light (3)1 dressy top and 2 tee shirts (again if I needed them, I bought them along the way). I brought a hoodie, a down vest and a hooded rain jacket that fit in its own pouch..I wore my hiking boots and packed a pair of black ballet flats and a pair of Reboks...8 pairs of socks....2 heavy hiking socks and the rest light woolen socks. Being an optimist, I did not bring a hat or gloves and had to buy them, don't make that mistake! I used the black jeans, flats and gauzy top for casual chic nights. Do not forget to bring sun screen, sun glasses and insect repellent. Alaska's state bird is the mosquito and some of them are the size of a bald eagle!!

PS: Oregon coast is beautiful but it can be quite windy and chilly.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Alaska is pretty informal so I packed jeans in dark blue, brown and black....they wear well and the dark colors can hide a lot of mishaps....for tops I packed 2 sweat shirts (and bought them as souvenirs along the way), several sweaters ranging from heavy (1); medium (2) and light (3)1 dressy top and 2 tee shirts (again if I needed them, I bought them along the way). I brought a hoodie, a down vest and a hooded rain jacket that fit in its own pouch..I wore my hiking boots and packed a pair of black ballet flats and a pair of Reboks...8 pairs of socks....2 heavy hiking socks and the rest light woolen socks. Being an optimist, I did not bring a hat or gloves and had to buy them, don't make that mistake! I used the black jeans, flats and gauzy top for casual chic nights. Do not forget to bring sun screen, sun glasses and insect repellent. Alaska's state bird is the mosquito and some of them are the size of a bald eagle!!

PS: Oregon coast is beautiful but it can be quite windy and chilly.

Thanks Hydrokitty!! I love this list and the ideas for dinner outfits. Hats and gloves are on the list for sure - I figure it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. I did not have sunscreen or repellent, but have added [emoji4]

I brought along tip and bottom “skins” to wear under my sweaters and jeans. Lightweight but insulating, they were a blessing on our whale watching excursion when it was 10F colder on the water than it was on land.

Sent from my iPad using Forums