NCL Gem B1 vs M1

esm54687

Good news is you are in a great place to start. We had 10668 booked on Jewel but they switched the ship to the Sun so we never got to experience it but knew it was a great location. The mini on the Sun actually was a great room as it turned out.

The M1 would give you a bigger room and balcony but unless a modest increase in price you can't go wrong where you are IMO.

We stayed in 10668 and enjoyed it. We have since moved up to aft minis because it wasn't much more money and the extra space was nice. I was too sunburned to enjoy any tiny baths this past cruise.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP: if your interest is in an aft-facing cabin on the Gem (or other Jewel-class ship), imho Deck 10 is the best, for two reasons. The first is that you have cabins above you and below you. (For me, this rules out Deck 11, which is where the M1s are under the Great Outdoors, and the potential for noise.) Also, the balconies on the aft-facing cabins on Deck 10 are deeper than those of the aft balconies on the other decks (possibly not true as to the balconies of the minis on Deck 11, I'm not sure about that).

We haven't sailed in a mini-suite -- they really don't interest us because of the Deck 11 potential noise issues and also, quite frankly, I hate the tub/shower combo. Imho, the tub is not terribly usable (it's pretty narrow), and it makes for quite a high step into the shower, worse when the ship is rolling. I prefer the stall shower of the non-minis.

Enjoy whatever you decide! We love the Gem!

Edited by Turtles06

We always pick the M1 on Jewel class ships.

However, the reasons are very specific. Firstly, there are three of us, and access to the balcony is harder in the balcony rooms when the sofa bed is made up. Secondly, we like the bed by the balcony, and the only room on these ships with that setup is an M1.

We have never had any trouble with being directly under the Great Outdoors. A little bit of noise occasionally, but nothing to disturb us.

Having said all that, if it was just the two of us sailing then we would almost certainly go for a B1 instead. Take away the sofa bed/balcony access issue and the benefits of the B1 (bigger balcony and that bit of distance from the Great Outdoors) far outweigh the disadvantage of bed position and slightly less room.

As a big fan of the M1’s, my advice to a couple would be that it isn’t worth the extra cost over a B1, in my opinion.

However, the reasons are very specific. Firstly, there are three of us, and access to the balcony is harder in the balcony rooms when the sofa bed is made up. Secondly, we like the bed by the balcony, and the only room on these ships with that setup is an M1.

We have never had any trouble with being directly under the Great Outdoors. A little bit of noise occasionally, but nothing to disturb us.

Having said all that, if it was just the two of us sailing then we would almost certainly go for a B1 instead. Take away the sofa bed/balcony access issue and the benefits of the B1 (bigger balcony and that bit of distance from the Great Outdoors) far outweigh the disadvantage of bed position and slightly less room.

As a big fan of the M1’s, my advice to a couple would be that it isn’t worth the extra cost over a B1, in my opinion.

The photos and videos I have seen of MI mini-suites on Gem and Jewel show the sitting area by the balcony, not the bed. Is this bed by the balcony arrangement a recent change?

The photos and videos I have seen of MI mini-suites on Gem and Jewel show the sitting area by the balcony, not the bed. Is this bed by the balcony arrangement a recent change?

Just one of the M1s has the bed by the balcony. I have stayed in it a few times on the Jade and I understand that it is the same on all the Jewel class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart strategy..... you are a big fan of the M1 so you advise couples to go with the B1 thus ensuring you have an inventory of M1s to pick from when you book.... well played.

(I'm kidding if my sense of humor is masked by just being words..... your advice to me was solid and appreciated) [emoji106]

Smart strategy..... you are a big fan of the M1 so you advise couples to go with the B1 thus ensuring you have an inventory of M1s to pick from when you book.... well played.

(I'm kidding if my sense of humor is masked by just being words..... your advice to me was solid and appreciated) [emoji106]

You actually make a good point. There is a great cabin on the Spirit, which I have recommended on this forum a few times, with the result that I haven’t been able to get in there for the past two trips. On the last one, the person who booked in front of me (and later cancelled, just to make things worse) said they booked it because of my recommendation.

I am always therefore a bit nervous about mentioning the room on the Jewel class with the bed arrangement that I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10168 and 10668 have the largest non-suite balconies on the ship. We stayed in 10168 twice and then an M1. We went back to 10168 because of balcony size, some noise(not much) from above and no tub in the bathroom(the shower stalls are so much better) IMO.

10168 and 10668 have the largest non-suite balconies on the ship. We stayed in 10168 twice and then an M1. We went back to 10168 because of balcony size, some noise(not much) from above and no tub in the bathroom(the shower stalls are so much better) IMO.
Thank you!!

all this info has me staying in 10668.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to provide opinion and info

• 1 month later...
Thank you!!

all this info has me staying in 10668.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to provide opinion and info

I am going on the Gem in May to Bermuda, and I specifically booked 10668 as well due to the many posts about deck 10 balconies being the best balconies due to their size and the room buffers above and below. That and the CAS rep on the phone claiming they are their favorite due to the beautiful panoramic view.

I love to read, so the bigger balcony with a lounge chair will be perfect for me.

I am going on the Gem in May to Bermuda, and I specifically booked 10668 as well due to the many posts about deck 10 balconies being the best balconies due to their size and the room buffers above and below. That and the CAS rep on the phone claiming they are their favorite due to the beautiful panoramic view.

I love to read, so the bigger balcony with a lounge chair will be perfect for me.

I will be on her 05/24/19 AND also via CAS. Too funny.

But today my wife informed me that she may want to bid on an SF....... I'm petrified that I will win and be on deck 8..... ugh.... but happy wife is happy life so I have about 260 days to stress myself about it.