Can a roomie cancel and rebook his own room

Loyal Buckeye

We are going to book a Disney cruise with me, my husband, and my son in one room. If at a later date before the cruise, my son decides he wants his own room will they refund his portion of the room in order to apply it to his own room? Thank you.

As long as your son cancels before the paid-in-full date (around 3 months before the cruise) and as long as you are not in a Concierge room, his fare will be fully refunded. If he is moving to a room of his own on the same cruise, he may be able to move his reservation rather than cancelling and rebooking. That might allow him to book at the rate for the new room as of when you booked, rather than at the current rate, which may be higher.

Be aware that the cost of one person in a room is roughly the same as the cost of 2 people, and much higher than the rate for a 3rd person. Also, there is a possibility that the ship (or the room type your son wants) will sell out, so it’s best to change his booking as soon as he decides he wants his own room, if he does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As above, as long as the decision is made before the final payment date, there is no issue. However, he will pay the current 1st person rate (not the lower 3rd person rate) as well as the 100% single supplement. What this means is that he can invite a friend along for the price of the taxes only!

Moving to his own cabin will be an expensive choice, but is certainly do-able.

DCL will not grandfather old pricing. You get that days price on the new room. A solo passenger so pays a Single Supplement equal to 200% of cruise fare. so basically, two people sail for about the same price as one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

So basically this means that ONE person sails for the price of TWO people. I think the poster got it backwards.

As above' date=' as long as the decision is made before the final payment date, there is no issue. However, he will pay the current 1st person rate (not the lower 3rd person rate) as well as the 100% single supplement. What this means is that he can invite a friend along for the price of the taxes only!

Moving to his own cabin will be an expensive choice, but is certainly do-able.[/quote']

Why would one person pay for their friend to cruise for free? IF his friend comes along, the friend can pay his fair share. Split ... 50/50.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would one person pay for their friend to cruise for free? IF his friend comes along, the friend can pay his fair share. Split ... 50/50.

I think the point is a solo traveler is paying for the price of two so "might as well" invite a friend along for free.

The solo/third traveler thing is a long standing gripe about the cruise industry.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really a personal issue. The point is that the only price difference between cruising solo or bringing a friend along is the taxes applied to the friend. Which pocket the money comes from is beyond the scope of these boards.