Diamon Princess Japan Explorer cruise

Love2cruise77

A detailed review is posted here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56635067

The shore excursions we took are as follow:

• Kochi: took the cruise line shuttle USD $10, walked to Harimayabashi Shoutengai (shopping), the famous Harimaya Bridge, Obiyamachi (shopping), Hirome (eating), and visited Kochi Castle (420 yen per person)

• Hiroshima: took the cruise line shuttle USD $10, took the Hiroshima Electric Railway (240 yen per person) to Genbaku Dome-mae (Atomic Bomb Dome), visited Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum (200 yen per person), walked to Hiroshima Hon Dori Shotengai (shopping), took the Aqua Net high speed ferry to Miyajima (2000 yen per person), visited the Itsukushima Shrine (300 yen per person), took the JR West Miyajima ferry back to Miyajimaguchi station (180 yen per person)
  • Beppu: took the bus from port to Jigoku Meguri, the bus was 260 yen per person, the admission to all "hells" was 1800 yen per person, the cost for bus between two main areas of "hells" was 190 yen per person, and the bus back to the port was 230 yen per person
  • Kagoshima: took the cruise line shuttle USD $10, walked to catch the ferry to Mt. Sakurajima (160 yen per person each way), took a one hour bus tour around Mt. Sakurajima for 500 yen per person
  • Busan: we formed a group through CC roll call and booked a tour through Krazy who contracted it to BusanMate, the tour went to

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks very much! A question: how long were you docked in Hiroshima to accomplish all of that? Did you feel like you had enough time at each site? Did you hire a guide or DIY?

We were docked from 9am to 9pm in Hiroshima. Could have used more time, but we were able to see everything we wanted at both sites and ate lunch near Atomic Bomb Dome and dinner near Itsukushima Shrine. We DIY at both sites, but there are free guide at Atomic Bomb Dome that volunteer to walk you around and give you some information about what happened there.

We were docked from 9am to 9pm in Hiroshima. Could have used more time, but we were able to see everything we wanted at both sites and ate lunch near Atomic Bomb Dome and dinner near Itsukushima Shrine. We DIY at both sites, but there are free guide at Atomic Bomb Dome that volunteer to walk you around and give you some information about what happened there.

Thank you, again. We will be in port only from 9am to 6pm (and will want to be back by 4:30pm, I'm sure).

which sites would you drop? (besides dinner, if course).

I take it that you used public transportation by yourselves for all of this - Bravo! We prefer that, too, but for some unidentifiable reason, Japan Public transportation seems to overwhelm me a bit. Was it a big problem or stressful?

one last question. We are seniors, one of whom does not walk long distances or lots of stairs anymore. Any place in your route that may be problematic?

Thank you, again. We will be in port only from 9am to 6pm (and will want to be back by 4:30pm, I'm sure).

which sites would you drop? (besides dinner, if course).

I take it that you used public transportation by yourselves for all of this - Bravo! We prefer that, too, but for some unidentifiable reason, Japan Public transportation seems to overwhelm me a bit. Was it a big problem or stressful?

one last question. We are seniors, one of whom does not walk long distances or lots of stairs anymore. Any place in your route that may be problematic?

Which site to drop will depend on what you like. If history is your thing, then go to the Atomic Bomb Dome would be better. If scenery is your thing, then go to Itsukushima Shrine would be better. We are not into history, but figure we have to visit the place while we were there. If we had to pick one, we would pick the Itsukushima Shrine, but that's just what we like...

We did public transportation and initially it was overwhelming (plus we don't speak Japanese). But after some extensive research, we managed just fine and didn't get lost in any of the ports.

If you want to go to Atomic Bomb Dome, after taking the cruise line shuttle to Itsukaichi station, you will need to walk up one flight of stairs and down another to catch the electric railway (tram). See this website for the route map: http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/s-routemap.html

If you want to go to Itsukushima Shrine, after the cruise line shuttle to Itsukaichi station, take the tram to Miyajima-guchi and then connect to the ferry to Miyajima. After the ferry, there's quite a bit of walking to get to see the shrine and the famous Torii gate though.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Lovetocruise77 - you've been very kind and extremely generous with your time. I've booked marked this thread to use when we are making our plans for Hiroshima. you've saved me a lot of time - and money- in this port, and I'm grateful.