Quads 2646 and 2146

2travelers

Hi. My husband and I decided to take our kids and grand kids on a Disney Cruise. Did a little research and saw that we needed "quad" rooms and that the best rooms for families with young children (ours range from 7-4) was Deck 2 aft since the elevators were less crowded and it was in close proximity to dining and the theaters. The week everyone could take was Jan 20 and we decided on the Magic 5-day cruise. Since there was only two quad rooms left on that deck, the travel agent suggested we put a hold on them until over the weekend. I agreed. Did some more research last night and somehow came across reviews that said the rooms were noisy, and smelled like gasoline. It seems that I cannot pull up any other quads on-line to compare, regardless of the deck

Has any one stayed in these rooms and/or does anyone have any experience with Deck 2 aft. I see the travel agent tomorrow and will have to make a decision. I don't want to cancel after getting everyone all excited, but I don't want my kids to be sick from the smell of gasoline or the kids cranky for lack of sleep because of noise.

Thanks

Hi. My husband and I decided to take our kids and grand kids on a Disney Cruise. Did a little research and saw that we needed "quad" rooms and that the best rooms for families with young children (ours range from 7-4) was Deck 2 aft since the elevators were less crowded and it was in close proximity to dining and the theaters. The week everyone could take was Jan 20 and we decided on the Magic 5-day cruise. Since there was only two quad rooms left on that deck, the travel agent suggested we put a hold on them until over the weekend. I agreed. Did some more research last night and somehow came across reviews that said the rooms were noisy, and smelled like gasoline. It seems that I cannot pull up any other quads on-line to compare, regardless of the deck

Has any one stayed in these rooms and/or does anyone have any experience with Deck 2 aft. I see the travel agent tomorrow and will have to make a decision. I don't want to cancel after getting everyone all excited, but I don't want my kids to be sick from the smell of gasoline or the kids cranky for lack of sleep because of noise.

Thanks

We've been aft on the Magic deck 2 several times. Not those rooms specifically, but aft, nontheless. I don't recall any gasoline smell there.

BTW, you are aware those two room are on opposite sides of the ship, right? Not next to each other.

Have you considered a different cruise that has more stateroom availability? I checked the Jan. 20 Magic sailing and there really aren't a lot of good quad rooms left. I, personally, would not spend that much money on staterooms that consistently get bad reviews regarding smell and noise.

Hi - Thanks for your replies. I know that the rooms are on opposite sides of the ship, but these are my adult kids with their children and with text messaging no one is really out of touch. I am heading back to the TA because we do need to change around some staterooms since my DIL has a problem on ships with balance so shedecided to stay home with the youngest. I have to see what changes we can make. Funny, I didn't see any suites with two queen size beds. Maybe on the upper decks they have them. My main concern was with the smell and Shmoo relieved my concerns about that, so we may just keep Deck 2. My ultimate concern was ease with the children getting on and off the ship without waiting on long lines.

Thanks again

None of the rooms on the Magic (except the 2-bedroom and larger suites) have 2 queen beds. All rooms have one queen bed that does not split. Most of the rooms that sleep 4 have a sofa that turns into a single bed and a bunk bed that comes down from the ceiling. Rooms that sleep 5 also have a single bed that folds out of the wall — I think that all rooms on the Magic that sleep 5 are veranda rooms on upper decks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you considered a different cruise that has more stateroom availability? I checked the Jan. 20 Magic sailing and there really aren't a lot of good quad rooms left. I, personally, would not spend that much money on staterooms that consistently get bad reviews regarding smell and noise.

Again, thanks for the input. We wound up getting adjoining rooms for my family with young children. This seems to work out best for us. We are now moved back towards mid-ship so I think that should solve most of the problems. There have been mixed reviews regarding the smell and the noise with the majority saying "no problem". It has been a very long time since we have traveled with kids, so I am trying to avoid any pitfalls.

Again, thanks for the input. We wound up getting adjoining rooms for my family with young children. This seems to work out best for us. We are now moved back towards mid-ship so I think that should solve most of the problems. There have been mixed reviews regarding the smell and the noise with the majority saying "no problem". It has been a very long time since we have traveled with kids, so I am trying to avoid any pitfalls.

Fantastic! I'm glad you were able to find staterooms you are happy with! Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks

We prefer midship and a bit higher than deck 2. You will hear less engine noise and when you are midship you will feel less movement--especially if it's your first cruise. You will just want to make sure that there is a pull down bunk. The kids will love it!

We prefer midship and a bit higher than deck 2. You will hear less engine noise and when you are midship you will feel less movement--especially if it's your first cruise. You will just want to make sure that there is a pull down bunk. The kids will love it!

We are seasoned travelers. Been on about 12 cruises and another 10 walking tours. My kids are not travelers, so we decided to treat them. We have the rooms set up, thanks to all for your input. Now I am wondering what we do with the kids in Grand Cayman Islands. My heart was set on swimming with the stingrays, but seems that they ask that kids be 10 years and up. My grand kids are 7,6, and 4. Many years ago we were booked on that tour but due to bad weather all water tours were canceled. We did a tour of the city that included everything, turtle farm, rum tasting, we even went to Hell! I can't see the little ones sitting through that. I see that the Stingray tour is in about 3' of water, so I am wondering about the age restriction. Any suggestions?

We are seasoned travelers. Been on about 12 cruises and another 10 walking tours. My kids are not travelers, so we decided to treat them. We have the rooms set up, thanks to all for your input. Now I am wondering what we do with the kids in Grand Cayman Islands. My heart was set on swimming with the stingrays, but seems that they ask that kids be 10 years and up. My grand kids are 7,6, and 4. Many years ago we were booked on that tour but due to bad weather all water tours were canceled. We did a tour of the city that included everything, turtle farm, rum tasting, we even went to Hell! I can't see the little ones sitting through that. I see that the Stingray tour is in about 3' of water, so I am wondering about the age restriction. Any suggestions?

I would check the Grand Cayman thread on these boards and even take a look on tripadvisor for some suggestions. We've been to Grand Cayman twice and the first time we went, when our son was 8, we hired a private boat and captain to see the sights. He took us to see the stingrays and starfish beach and then we had lunch at a beach restaurant. We tried to snorkel but the current was too rough and I felt quite unsafe (I wouldn't recommend it with the little ones!). On our second visit this past March, we simply took a taxi to Royal Palms Club and swam and had lunch there. I had reserved a cabana ahead of time which was nice. The beach is lovely, but the pool and bar were kind of a party scene (it was over spring break). We really did enjoy the stingrays and starfish beach though!

• 2 weeks later...

We did a stingray excursion with Moby Dick Tours with our 4, 6 and 8yo. It was good, but my kids aren't strong swimmers and it would have been nice to have another adult with us. I thought the price was good, but I would say that the guide seemed slightly anti-kid.... there were several children with us of similar ages. One of the guides was helpful. It was not shallow enough for my two younger ones to stand; I suspect that changes depending on the time of year. Honestly, even though I was stressed, the kids had a blast and they were really up close and personal with the stingrays. Captain Marvin is another recommended tour company.

We did Stingray City thru Captain Marvin's. First, it depends on what is combined with Stingray City. If you will get there by boat, you'll jump off the boat into 3 or 4 feet of water and walk into about 2.5-3 feet to interact with the rays. If you are arriving by vehicle, you'll wade in from the beach. In this case, each person can go to a comfortable standing depth. On our private excursion, there was no age limit. Life jackets were worn by kids, optional for the adults. It was a good excursion. We also have done the city tour which included Hell and Turtle Farm. The turtle farm is great for kids, whether as a combination or as a solo event.

As to cabin reports, I've found most to be completely inaccurate. I've stayed in cabins with supposed "bad" reviews and did not experience any of the stuff people were complaining about...and I've stayed in "good" cabins that had a ceiling leak, noise issues, etc. The leak was on a B2B. After 10 days of trying to fix it, drying the carpet, etc. I went to guest services and demanded a different cabin for the second leg...as in "I've put up with it and given you 10 days out of a 12 day cruise to fix it. You WILL find us a different cabin for the second 12 days." They did.