Getting to Blarney Castle

We are on Crown Princess next May; during our stop in Cobh, I have a simple itinerary in mind. I want to get a ride to Blarney Castle, explore the grounds (not interested in kissing the stone), drop some dough on souvenirs at the Woolen Mills, and then go back to Cobh and walk around for a bit.

I don't really want to pay for a tour, especially since most of them seem to add extra stops/things we aren't interested in. What is the easiest way to get from Cobh directly to Blarney Castle and back?

Will there be a taxi queue at the port, as is the case in many other places? If we don't rush to get off the ship, would there still be taxis available? We prefer to take our time and wait for the crowd to thin out on days that we don't have an excursion scheduled.

Or, should we take a bus or train?

We were just there end of May..I believe I saw taxi's...but we actually did a tour with Tours By Locals through our rollcall....this was a port stop we didn't want to take a chance on missing Blarney and Kinsale.

Take the commuter train from Cobh (just beside pier) to Cork rail station. Walk to the bus station (15 mins) and take bus nbr 215 to Blarney. The bus leaves every half hour and takes 30 minutes to Blarney village. Reverse to return to ship.

Just be aware of train departure times on return journey!

We were just there end of May..I believe I saw taxi's...but we actually did a tour with Tours By Locals through our rollcall....this was a port stop we didn't want to take a chance on missing Blarney and Kinsale.

How was Kinsale? We too have a private tour and are trying to decide if we should take the extra time to drive to Kinsdale after the Castle, or just head back to Cork.

Take the commuter train from Cobh (just beside pier) to Cork rail station. Walk to the bus station (15 mins) and take bus nbr 215 to Blarney. The bus leaves every half hour and takes 30 minutes to Blarney village. Reverse to return to ship.

Just be aware of train departure times on return journey!

This is perfect, thank you!

Blarney Castle was at least an hour from Cobh so think a taxi might be terribly expensive. We did a tour by ecoach, was supposed to be a half day but was at least six hours including driving tour of Cork which we honestly could have skipped. The tour dropped you in front of the Blarney entrance booth and it included entry fee. We enjoyed walking the gorgeous grounds, we weren’t going to kiss the stone, the line was an hour and a half if you did.

The town of Cobh is really nice and literally a five minute walk from the ship. Nice waterfront, shops, lively pubs with entertainment, and a small Titanic museum. I would allow adequate time to visit Cobh after Blarney (we did not do Kinsale). We came back from our tour, grabbed a quick bite in the International cafe then headed right out to Cobh.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How was Kinsale? We too have a private tour and are trying to decide if we should take the extra time to drive to Kinsdale after the Castle, or just head back to Cork.

Our cruise in May this year and the private tour did go to Kinsale. Before the cruise while researching there were many talks about this town (all good?) but once we got there the town is very small with a few streets and there was not too much to see and do. Once returned back to port we got a very little time left therefore missed out a lot stuffs in town such Titanic etc.

Enjoy your cruise.

Our cruise in May this year and the private tour did go to Kinsale. Before the cruise while researching there were many talks about this town (all good?) but once we got there the town is very small with a few streets and there was not too much to see and do. Once returned back to port we got a very little time left therefore missed out a lot stuffs in town such Titanic etc.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, I think we will play it by ear, if we spend too much time at the Castle, will just skip Kinsale. Maybe wonder around Cork, have lunch and head back. Cobh sounds lovely too. It's just us, so we can adjust as we go.

Kinsale was a beautiful little town...glad we opted to see it...but next time I would opt to just go back to Cobh and spend the time there.

I would allow yourself around 2.5-3 hours to really see Blarney Castle and all of its surroundings. We were given 2 hours, but with the line to climb being 1.5 hours, we opted out in favor of exploring the rest of the grounds as well as Blarney House. We did the day tour by ECoach and really liked it. It is about an hour’s drive to Blarney.

I would allow yourself around 2.5-3 hours to really see Blarney Castle and all of its surroundings. We were given 2 hours, but with the line to climb being 1.5 hours, we opted out in favor of exploring the rest of the grounds as well as Blarney House. We did the day tour by ECoach and really liked it. It is about an hour’s drive to Blarney.

Where else did you go that day?

Where else did you go that day?

We did the full day ECoach shore excursion for 59 Euros pp. We spent 2 hours in Blarney, a scenic drive through Cork, a photo stop at Charles Fort, and then about 1.5 hours in Kinsale. It was a busy day but gave us a great overview of the area. Everything was beautiful!

We did the full day ECoach shore excursion for 59 Euros pp. We spent 2 hours in Blarney, a scenic drive through Cork, a photo stop at Charles Fort, and then about 1.5 hours in Kinsale. It was a busy day but gave us a great overview of the area. Everything was beautiful!

That's pretty much what our itinerary looks like. Did you buy your Blarney Castle Tickets online before you went?

If we don't, did you notice if there was a line to purchase? We don't want to waste time waiting in line if getting them online is the way to go.

Thanks again for all the information!!

That's pretty much what our itinerary looks like. Did you buy your Blarney Castle Tickets online before you went?

If we don't, did you notice if there was a line to purchase? We don't want to waste time waiting in line if getting them online is the way to go.

Thanks again for all the information!!

eCoach includes the Blarney Castle tickets, so we stepped out of the bus and went straight through a group tickets passageway with no wait at all. Yes, there was a line for people to buy tickets; it had about 20-30 people in it. I remember thinking “I’m so glad we don’t have to wait in line right now”. If your tour doesn’t include tickets, I’d buy them online.

We got a taxi right there on the pier. The driver offered us a deal, 100 euro to take us to the Castle, wait and bring us back. On the way back he took us on a little tour of the town of Cobh.

I think, if I remember, that the cost was more than the train, but less than the ship's tour. Either way I'm really glad we did cuz the guy was very interesting to talk to. And he even lent me his umbrella and carried our all our purchases from the Woolen Mills to the car.

Also, we skipped the kissing of the stone, as well and just walked around the grounds. It's very lovely. It was a great day.

eCoach includes the Blarney Castle tickets, so we stepped out of the bus and went straight through a group tickets passageway with no wait at all. Yes, there was a line for people to buy tickets; it had about 20-30 people in it. I remember thinking “I’m so glad we don’t have to wait in line right now”. If your tour doesn’t include tickets, I’d buy them online.

If you don't 'kiss the stone', is it still worth it to enter the Castle?

It was to me. The grounds are extensive and very lovely. And the line to kiss the stone was very long and you had to pay extra. All to have some guy you don't know hang on to you while you hang upside down and kiss a dirty stone that has been kissed by hundreds of thousands of people. Honestly, I don't see the draw.

But, if that's why you go then the rest won't probably interest you.

Can you go in the castle and explore without getting in the line for "the stone"?

Yes, you can.

Now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure what the extra fee was for. Maybe just kissing the stone, or maybe for the picture of you kissing the stone. But, the entry ticket that gets you inside the "park" is for everything inside, castle and grounds.

Edited by Blondilu

thanks for your help. I assume that if you want to enjoy the grounds, you must buy a ticket for the Castle?

Yes...and this is too bad...they should offer an option....the line to kiss the blarney stone can be soooo long...glad we didn't bother.

Blarney is a whole estate of beautiful grounds, a house, the castle of course, a poison garden, and trails, so yes it’s worth it. You can at least view the outside of the castle without waiting in line. You do have to pay extra to tour the Blarney House, but it was really interesting and worth it.