All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

The cruise we are doing in May is also the Medieval Treasures which is a new cruise itinerary for AMA Waterways. I can answer any questions about dress code and will email you separately. My husband and I are in our low 60's age group and he is a short wearer. We have been to many places in Europe at different times of the year and he has no problem wearing his shorts. We did not do the bike rides on our last cruise but may do some on this cruise in mid May. It appears the bike tours are approximately 1 to 2 hours from the information we have.

Really interested in knowing what you thought of the Medieval Treasures itinerary. We are thinking about it for this Oct due to special pricing. Would be our first river cruise.

Really interested in knowing what you thought of the Medieval Treasures itinerary. We are thinking about it for this Oct due to special pricing. Would be our first river cruise.
It was wonderful. We enjoyed every port we visited. Although we originally wanted to sail from Amsterdam, when this itinerary came up, also at a special price, we jumped on it. We spent our first week in Switzerland and then took the cruise. All the ports were different but amazing to explore. We also liked moving from the Rhine to the Main River. Two different experiences with so much to see along the way. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Sailing the AmaDante November 8 with friends on the Rhine and Moselle itinerary -- Luxembourg to Basel. So glad I found this thread and thank you all for sharing. For most of us this is our first river cruise and from what I'm reading we are going to have a great time. Any tips about traveling in November? I am planning on layers but essentially dressing for winter with hat, gloves and scarf.

These boards were invaluable when we sailed the Queen Mary 2 in 2011.

Sailing the AmaDante November 8 with friends on the Rhine and Moselle itinerary -- Luxembourg to Basel. So glad I found this thread and thank you all for sharing. For most of us this is our first river cruise and from what I'm reading we are going to have a great time. Any tips about traveling in November? I am planning on layers but essentially dressing for winter with hat, gloves and scarf.

These boards were invaluable when we sailed the Queen Mary 2 in 2011.

We sailed the Danube late last November. We wore those thin thermals we purchased at Costco layered with a thin turtle neck and then a lightweight down jacket ($15 at Costco). Added a scarf and hat, gloves on occasion and we were set!

Hi We are on the AMA Verde in June Amsterdam to Budapest. Done many sea cruises but never a river cruise and wondered what the dress code is in evening.

Thinking the same thing!! We have done many ocean cruises and are familiar with the dress code. Hoping to keep it light packing for our Nov 2018 river cruise. Any help appreciated.

Cellagirl

Quick question about the AMA App, AMAcruiser. I can not get it to work on an Ipad, no login screen after being downloaded. Has anyone gotten the app to work on their Ipad.

It works fine on our Iphones. FYI, AMA Dante is now on the App.

My travel agent just advised us of a new app that AMA Waterways has for river cruising. Might make things easy to check out while travelling.

AmaWaterways recently developed an app calledAmaCruiser, which is available for free and features a live cruise-tracking mapas well as photos and information about each of the destinations and theavailable shore excursions. The app gives users the opportunity to upload theirphotos and create a personal cruise album or share images via email or onsocial media. The daily cruise newsletter is also made available during thesailing, with the daily schedule of events”

Thanks for the information! Our cruise for 2019 is not yet on there but I was able to check out the same cruise for this year. This is our first river cruise and we are very excited!

AMA told me we won't be able to add our cruise until just before departure. We will get an email from them inviting us to download the App and at that point the specifics of our cruise will be available.

I just downloaded the app and picked a cruise for 2018 that is the same for my 2019 cruise so I could see the information that is provided. I just skipped adding the booking number. Maybe you can do that to at least see the information that is provided. I am impressed with the detail on the excursions that I could not get on the website.

I just downloaded the app and picked a cruise for 2018 that is the same for my 2019 cruise so I could see the information that is provided. I just skipped adding the booking number. Maybe you can do that to at least see the information that is provided. I am impressed with the detail on the excursions that I could not get on the website.
Thanks for the tip! I was able to look up the activities for our April Colours of Provence trip!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We are cruising on AmaLea Melodies of the Danube in a few weeks.. I see the excursions generally last up to 3-4 hours. Is the time after the excursion free for exploring on your own? Do most people eat lunch on the ship or should we plan to find a place for lunch while in port? What time does the ship usually leave the port each day? Thanks.

Edited by WeLoveOurVacations

What a great idea, just did it & can see everything for an Aug journey despite gong in April. Thank you, this will help my planning:D

We ate lunch on the ship most days. From Linz we took the train to Salzburg for the day because we wanted to do the Sound of Music tour, so we ate there.
With Ama's excursion? If so, do you mind my asking how much they charged for the "optional" excursion? Did you happen to also do the concert in Vienna in the evening?

Thinking the same thing!! We have done many ocean cruises and are familiar with the dress code. Hoping to keep it light packing for our Nov 2018 river cruise. Any help appreciated.

Cellagirl

Dress code is very casual. On the Captain's Farewell Dinner night people dress a little more, some women may wear a dress but most wear a nice dressy top and pants. Most evenings men wear a collared shirt and casual pants. Some even wear jeans. My husband took a dress shirt and tie with a dark khaki style pant like Dockers. He really was one of the only men with a tie on that night. There are a few older men that do take a sports coat but they are few and far between. I take my dressier tops and a pair of black dress pants. In November you may want some light sweaters. Hope this helps.

We are cruising on AmaLea Melodies of the Danube in a few weeks.. I see the excursions generally last up to 3-4 hours. Is the time after the excursion free for exploring on your own? Do most people eat lunch on the ship or should we plan to find a place for lunch while in port? What time does the ship usually leave the port each day? Thanks.

Its hard to answer the question about what time the ship leaves port each day. Sometimes you are sailing in the AM and others in the evening or afternoon. There will be a sailing schedule in your Itinerary guide that AMA provides that gives you all the times the ship sails.

The excursions are either morning or afternoon. Sometimes a wine tasting at night. None of ours went over a meal time. We always ate our meals on the ship. It depends on which excursion whether or not you have a bit of time left over. We did have a small amount of time in most of the places we visited. Some of the places the ship docks are right in town and you can walk to and from the ship having a few hours to enjoy on your own.

Thanks for the information! Our cruise for 2019 is not yet on there but I was able to check out the same cruise for this year. This is our first river cruise and we are very excited!

We fell in love with river cruising last year and took another this year after many ocean cruises. Such a different experience. Really cannot compare the two types of cruises. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Quick question about the AMA App, AMAcruiser. I can not get it to work on an Ipad, no login screen after being downloaded. Has anyone gotten the app to work on their Ipad.

It works fine on our Iphones. FYI, AMA Dante is now on the App.

The AMA App worked great on our Ipad. It is a very useful tool. Perhaps remove it and reload it and if you have any other problems call AMA for some technical support. It may be just a little glitch that they can help you work through.

We sailed the Danube late last November. We wore those thin thermals we purchased at Costco layered with a thin turtle neck and then a lightweight down jacket ($15 at Costco). Added a scarf and hat, gloves on occasion and we were set!

Thanks Princess

Layers sounds like the plan

I'm going on the AmaLyra next year Paris to Normandy. Looking forward to seeing Monet's garden. Any tips? We did the last November sailing before the Christmas markets on the AmaSerena last November and loved it!! There were early markets in Vienna and Budapest.

Did AMALYRA Normandy last June. Fabulous cruise itinerary. Monet's House & gardens- beautiful gardens, nice walking area.

Gift shop a little pricey but then again when is the next time you will be there.

Normandy cemetery & beaches- very emotional (dgt & niece of WW2 vets) very moving Taps ceremony at noon.Read your history for a full appreciation.

The small towns along the way are very photogenic-get out and walk- you will be rewarded with wonderful sights & memories

Have a great cruise

Carole

Question; Do most people change for dinner like they do on river cruises? I know there is no FORMAL NIGHT but is a change of clothes necessary.? As stated before we are trying to keep things uncomplicated and one change of clothes a day would be great. Don’t want to be the odd couple:o BTW. Our cruise is November 2018

Question; Do most people change for dinner like they do on river cruises? I know there is no FORMAL NIGHT but is a change of clothes necessary.? As stated before we are trying to keep things uncomplicated and one change of clothes a day would be great. Don’t want to be the odd couple:o BTW. Our cruise is November 2018

On our cruise many people did change but not into fancier clothes. I took a few nicer tops with me for dinners and took black dress pants to go with all my tops. My husband changed his shirt and mostly wore a khaki style pant with a golf or cotton collared shirt. Others did wear jeans at times to the diningroom. Black jeans work well too. Its really an individual preference. I'm pretty sure there were many people that wore the same clothes to the diningroom that they wore during the day. People did tend to dress up a little more for the Captains Farewell Dinner.

I'm recently back from the AMA Viola Melodies of the Danube. I do have all the daily programs. The file is too large to post to this thread, but if anyone wants to see them, I'd be happy to email them to you. Barbara

Some people changed for dinner. Some didn't. I usually did because it was hot when we were there and I didn't like feeling sweaty, but I don't think that will be an issue in November.

Cruising AmaCello "Colors of Provence" from Lyon on 10/18. Does anyone know time in evening the boat embarks from Lyon? We are meeting a relative for the day, and want to know how much time we will have. Also, anyone know how we can view the "Daily Cruiser" for that cruise? Thanks.

I'm recently back from the AMA Viola Melodies of the Danube. I do have all the daily programs. The file is too large to post to this thread, but if anyone wants to see them, I'd be happy to email them to you. Barbara

Hi Barbara,

We are on the Ama Viola Sept 7 Budapest to Vilshofen and would love the daily programs.

Can you please send to

mcullen1 at partners dot org.

How was the cruise? We are so looking forward to our first river cruise. We have done 20 ocean cruises and love them!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Michele

Sent from my iPhone using Forums