Behavior Issues

For the sake of argument (ugh, who isn't up for some argument, these days !??!:eek:), let's say there is a group of X people, ALL of whom are discourteous.

Even then, why say "there was an X person who ...."?

The point is NOT the "ethnicity" of the person, but the BEHAVIOR.

So describe the behavior, which was done, but don't add other personal details that simply are not relevant, that do NOT add any additional explanatory information...

... unless the person writing "Asian" did think it was "important" to add...but for what reason...??

GC

For me it explained it in a nutshell, Asian tourists, especially Chinese are known for their rudeness and cutting line, I guess living in a place like Hong Kong explains it, so crowded you need to be aggressive or you would never get what you need it's a way of life so therefore they do not find it rude. Not racist just a fact of life

For me it explained it in a nutshell, Asian tourists, especially Chinese are known for their rudeness and cutting line, I guess living in a place like Hong Kong explains it, so crowded you need to be aggressive or you would never get what you need it's a way of life so therefore they do not find it rude. Not racist just a fact of life

But who's not to say that this person is an American, born here and her ancestors born here.

I was stunned when I read that phrasing about being "blessed to not have children." I mean, obviously, it is a good thing that you don't. But we have had such joy from our two sons and five grandchildren, that I just can't even picture someone not wanting children in their lives. Sure they are sometimes unbearable but so are most adults. It just really made me feel sad to read that.
Quite a lot of us cannot ever picture having them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Quite a lot of us cannot ever picture having them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I have a relative and a few friends that feel the same way. It's fine. I can't imagine not having mine but everyone is different. I don't invite this relative and the friends that feel that way over when mine visit. They don't enjoy it at all. We do other things like golf, hike or go to restaurants together. It's all good.

The problem is not with the kids, its with the parents. Kids are going to be kids, it is the responsibility of the parents to ensure the kids know how to act and to stop any behavior the may be considered rude, disrespectful or annoying to other guests.

When I decided to have a child, I made a decision to be responsible for him for the next 18 years. I am responsible for his behavior at home, at school, at the theater, in a restaurant and on vacation/cruises.

Was there *any* reason to mention race/nationality/ethnicity?

Was any information added?

If not, then given it was a negative comment to begin with - which was appropriate given the topic - then it *was* racist - which was NOT appropriate at all.

Change it to "there was a woman in a cotton sweater who...." and it becomes silly.

There's no reason to mention the clothing item or the type of fabric.

But there WAS a "reason" why the other person mentioned the race/ethnicity/nationality, *precisely* because that person was trying to, um, "communicate something".

GC

This post and the others like it screaming racism are absolutely ridiculous and are part of the PC problem in America. Who cares if he said "Asian" ...... Why don't you all go over to the MSC board. There are plenty of American cruisers that sailed the Seaside out of Miami that complained about the rudeness of the Europeans aboard ..... Maybe you can go lecture these posters too and tell them they are all racists too towards Europeans ...... Ridiculous PC people ....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This post and the others like it screaming racism are absolutely ridiculous and are part of the PC problem in America. Who cares if he said "Asian" ...... Why don't you all go over to the MSC board. There are plenty of American cruisers that sailed the Seaside out of Miami that complained about the rudeness of the Europeans aboard ..... Maybe you can go lecture these posters too and tell them they are all racists too towards Europeans ...... Ridiculous PC people ....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agree 100%:D:D

Was there *any* reason to mention race/nationality/ethnicity?

Was any information added?

If not, then given it was a negative comment to begin with - which was appropriate given the topic - then it *was* racist - which was NOT appropriate at all.

Change it to "there was a woman in a cotton sweater who...." and it becomes silly.

There's no reason to mention the clothing item or the type of fabric.

But there WAS a "reason" why the other person mentioned the race/ethnicity/nationality, *precisely* because that person was trying to, um, "communicate something".

GC

Sorry, your points about the "Asian" comment are based on inference, and that is all on the reader. You acknowledge at the end of your post that you really don't know what the poster was trying to post, you inferred it was racism.

To your point about the "cotton sweater" - If that was how the person was remembered, then maybe it's not silly. An unnecessary detail for concise writing, but, not silly.

Lastly, why is everyone crying racism over the Asian part of the comment but not a peep about sexism for the "woman" part of the comment? Could it be the people crying racism are in fact racists and assumed the poster thought like them?

I was amazed by two parents, with two children all on their mobile phones, in the haven restaurant, it didn’t end there one child place a pizza slice in his mouth, and with both hands on his mobile, continued to eat the pizza slice with just his mouth, sucking as he chewed, the parents were in their own social media world, another instance in the haven restaurant we witnessed, was a lady messing with her phone taking and sending photos of her steak, he partner had almost finished his meal by the time she cut her first slice, only to complain to the restaurant manager her steak was overdone....they should ban all phones in quality restaurants, buffets it effects no one.

The problem is not with the kids' date=' its with the parents. Kids are going to be kids, it is the responsibility of the parents to ensure the kids know how to act and to stop any behavior the may be considered rude, disrespectful or annoying to other guests.

When I decided to have a child, I made a decision to be responsible for him for the next 18 years. I am responsible for his behavior at home, at school, at the theater, in a restaurant and on vacation/cruises.[/quote']

I agree with you 100%.

There is a couple we know who don't have kids and don't want to be around kids when they cruise. They have tried most major cruise lines (love cruising), and to my surprise Disney is their favorite line as they say Disney of all the lines is best at keeping kids out of adult only areas. I would have never have even imagined them even going on a Disney cruise.

That's true. My husband is a retired high school teacher, so long after our kids were grown, we were still tied to a school schedule.

Mine too. I am loving the freedom now he has retired. I am still working (to pay for our trips) but I love the freedom of not being chained to school holidays. I tend to use my balcony a lot. I have rarely seen children on my recent cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't even understand why people who don't want to be around children would sail NCL. Celebrity has the Solarium that is child free at all times. Haven is NOT child free. It's promoted to families. Even Carnival has cabins that you cannot book with children under the age of 12 in their Havana area.

I like kids. I was one. And I have 3 of my own. Plus 2 grandsons. I find adults are often way worse in their behavior than children. I can excuse ridiculous behaviors in children. Not so much in adults.

The problem is not with the kids' date=' its with the parents. Kids are going to be kids, it is the responsibility of the parents to ensure the kids know how to act and to stop any behavior the may be considered rude, disrespectful or annoying to other guests.

When I decided to have a child, I made a decision to be responsible for him for the next 18 years. I am responsible for his behavior at home, at school, at the theater, in a restaurant and on vacation/cruises.[/quote']

If there is any comment that should sum up this thread....THIS is it. Good job! Exactly on point.

I also have never met any rude kids on a cruise. The rude people are the adults. The sad part about society today is that many parents are not teaching their kids manners which is really sad and going to lead to a very rude world very soon. I know someone who operates smoothie shops around town. They hire young adults and some of the problems they have is teaching them basic manners. Its almost impossible to teach a young adult manners which should have been instilled in them growing up. They never grew up ever having to say "excuse me, how can I help you, or thank you"

I don't even understand why people who don't want to be around children would sail NCL. Celebrity has the Solarium that is child free at all times. Haven is NOT child free. It's promoted to families. Even Carnival has cabins that you cannot book with children under the age of 12 in their Havana area.

I like kids. I was one. And I have 3 of my own. Plus 2 grandsons. I find adults are often way worse in their behavior than children. I can excuse ridiculous behaviors in children. Not so much in adults.

All 100% correct.

There is a couple we know who don't have kids and don't want to be around kids when they cruise. They have tried most major cruise lines (love cruising), and to my surprise Disney is their favorite line as they say Disney of all the lines is best at keeping kids out of adult only areas. I would have never have even imagined them even going on a Disney cruise.

This was actually my experience as well. I’m not sure if their kids clubs are so good that they manage to keep the kids in one area of the ship for the most part? Or if they just actually enforce adult only areas but my experience on DCL was fantastic.

Fascinating! I haven't been to NYC. Here in Vancouver on our public transit, we let everyone off before we get on. In fact at some of the busier stations at rush hour, they cordon off an area in front of the doors so that those waiting to get on don't stand directly in front of the doors blocking people getting out. Perhaps it's not helped by the fact that people getting out definitely don't do so in an orderly way.

I've lived and worked in NYC riding the buses and subways and I've always allowed others to get off before I get on. In fact the majority of people (at least 51% allow others to get off before they get on. People usually don't que up for the buses or subway but they usually do line up for the express buses.

Ramona

While we are talking about behavior issues can we mention Elevator Etiquette? For years I worked in large center city office building on the 14 floor. I never had any problems with anyone getting on or off. We took our first cruise in 2011, I was blown away by the amount of people who would shove, push etc... to get on and off an elevator. The most annoying thing is people trying to on when your trying to leave a packed elevator. I would often say unless you move to the side and wait for us to get out their won't be any room for you. Dozens of times I would get that deer in the headlight look Lol

I don't mind kids and this year I am traveling over a break, but I also know I am planning on getting a spa pass (where is a place they really do enforce the no kids thing) and if it is nice I plan on being in Spice (where kids do sneak in, but usually get bored quickly and leave) and bars and speciality restaurants. I can't see there being a lot of kids running around in this scenario. And I stay in a studio - where again, they probably won't have access to because you need a key card so they won't be running up and down the halls.

I like on other ships when the kids do the pirate parade around and one year I went Christmas time and all the kids dressed up and waiting for Santa were adorable!

its pretty common for us to be "pitied" for not having kids. its that whole "child free" vs "childless". its a choice for us, and one we couldnt be happier with.

You're not the only ones who chose not to have children. We have no regrets.

My only comment to this thread is that cruising "when school is in session" is now a joke. Out here we have tons of charter schools that do not follow the September-June school is in session schedule. One of my friends has a child that goes to school nine weeks on and six weeks off year round.

You're not the only ones who chose not to have children. We have no regrets.

My only comment to this thread is that cruising "when school is in session" is now a joke. Out here we have tons of charter schools that do not follow the September-June school is in session schedule. One of my friends has a child that goes to school nine weeks on and six weeks off year round.

We never wanted kids but our neice adopted us when she was 5 over 32 years ago.