Rome - pickpockets and street crime

twokids0204

He has been to Rome a few times and was told that putting a wallet in one's pants' pocket is fine, as long as a hand remains in that pocket with it.
But who wants to walk around all day with their hand in their pocket? Not to mention that doing so telegraphs to anyone watching, and professionals do watch and pick their targets, which pocket the valuables are in.

I think the common sense advice of being aware of your surroundings and personal space is the best to follow. I just got back from supervising a college class in Italy for 3 weeks (did the same trip last year too). We were based in Florence, but also visited Rome, Venice, Siena, Lucca, and Cinque Terre.

- Use a money belt.

- Generally NOT a good idea to be carrying around hundred of euros (or dollars) on you on your daily excursions. If you have to, split the money among your travel partners so not just one person is shouldering the responsibility.

- Consider *not* bringing all of your credit cards with you on daily excursions (better to have just 1 card stolen than all of them!).

- On narrow streets, make sure your purse or backpack is kept on your shoulder that is to the inside of the street. We were warned that someone on a scooter could come by and snatch it if it's on the outside of the street.

- ATMs: If you need to withdraw money, use an ATM from a well-known Italian bank (usually "Banca di..." / "Bank of...") like Banca di Roma) not ATMs attached to currency exchange places or small storefronts).

In Rome, we had no problems. Street sellers pestered us to buy water and hats, but a firm "no" and they went away. Near the Vatican Museums, people marked as "Tourist Info Staff" tried to steer us toward their expensive "skip-the-line" tickets when we already had tickets arranged.

In Florence, one of our students had her wallet stolen from the H&M store changing room. She had 50 euro taken and her credit card stolen which she canceled right away.

In Venice, a co-worker had some lace she bought in Burano taken from her purse.

I, personally, didn't encounter any issues (this year or last year). I must blend in because I had Italians asking ME for directions! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Always makes me laugh reading these threads, because we know there is no street crime in North America at all...LOL!

Try walking through Brooklyn or Times Square and you'll be at the same risk.

A big NO.

Athens, Barcelona, Rome are at totally different level.

Chances of pickpocket in Times Square Or Brooklyn does exist but it is significantly less than in most Italian cities - as tourist centric and as crowded as Tims Square.

Even in late 70s/early 80s, in NYC, you were more likely to be mugged than pickpocketted.

Lets not give bad advice. Pickpocket nuisance in Italy is especially irritating. Lets not trivialize it by saying "it happend in NYC too".

Pickpockets are around in every big city in the world, including our U.K. cities. The advice in post #27 is sound advice.

Here’s my list of advice to anyone wandering around any city.

Don’t carry lots of money around with you & split your money into different pockets etc.

Don’t take all your credit cards with you & split those you have between different pockets, bags etc.

Keep your camera discrete if you can - in a pocket or strapped to your belt.

Don’t wear obvious gold jewellery etc.

Use small pocket maps, so don’t look so obviously like tourists.

If it’s crowded, carry your backpack in front of you.

If you have a shoulder bag, put it on crosswise.

Get money from bank ATMs (preferably those inside banks) & never use street exchanges.

These are all common sense wherever you are in the world - Rome, Barcelona, London, Dublin, Santiago, Rio etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Always makes me laugh reading these threads, because we know there is no street crime in North America at all...LOL!

Try walking through Brooklyn or Times Square and you'll be at the same risk.

You are NOT at the same risk for pick pockets in NYC. But good luck to you if you wish to trivialize it.

I think the common sense advice of being aware of your surroundings and personal space is the best to follow. I just got back from supervising a college class in Italy for 3 weeks (did the same trip last year too). We were based in Florence, but also visited Rome, Venice, Siena, Lucca, and Cinque Terre.

- Use a money belt.

- Generally NOT a good idea to be carrying around hundred of euros (or dollars) on you on your daily excursions. If you have to, split the money among your travel partners so not just one person is shouldering the responsibility.

- Consider *not* bringing all of your credit cards with you on daily excursions (better to have just 1 card stolen than all of them!).

- On narrow streets, make sure your purse or backpack is kept on your shoulder that is to the inside of the street. We were warned that someone on a scooter could come by and snatch it if it's on the outside of the street.

- ATMs: If you need to withdraw money, use an ATM from a well-known Italian bank (usually "Banca di..." / "Bank of...") like Banca di Roma) not ATMs attached to currency exchange places or small storefronts).

In Rome, we had no problems. Street sellers pestered us to buy water and hats, but a firm "no" and they went away. Near the Vatican Museums, people marked as "Tourist Info Staff" tried to steer us toward their expensive "skip-the-line" tickets when we already had tickets arranged.

In Florence, one of our students had her wallet stolen from the H&M store changing room. She had 50 euro taken and her credit card stolen which she canceled right away.

In Venice, a co-worker had some lace she bought in Burano taken from her purse.

I, personally, didn't encounter any issues (this year or last year). I must blend in because I had Italians asking ME for directions! :cool:

Blending in has nothing to do with it. As I mentioned the guides were pick pocketed in Rome and Florence. You must have your valuables unavailable. Never underestimate a professional pickpocket.