Age requirements confusion?

musat

Hello everyone. I just booked a Norwegian cruise with a friend and paid it for it. After I did everything, I went to my account profile and saw that my age was put in wrong even though I remember putting it in perfectly right. They made me older for some reason. So I did some digging, and found out that there is an age requirement?? I am 20 (so is my friend), but they let me pay for it and everything, and now they saw that I cannot go unless I have someone older than 21 accompanying me? I am so confused on what to do. I can get a written consent from my parents if they want.

I have been on the phone for the past 40 min, and yet to get an agent to get to me. This is very frustrating. They should have never let me pay for it when I put my age as younger than 21.

I have been on the phone for the past 40 min, and yet to get an agent to get to me. This is very frustrating. They should have never let me pay for it when I put my age as younger than 21.

When is the trip?

If you aren't in any penalty period, there won't be any problem getting your money back, regardless of reason.

And yes, the agent (or software) should never have allowed a cabin with no one at least 21 (with exception of parents in connecting cabin or such).

GC

The trip is in 40 days from now. So I am in the penalty period, but it isn't my fault that they let me book it. This makes me so sad and angry that I cant even go plus I cant get a refund.

Sorry, but I'm quite skeptical. There is no way that you could book online if you correctly put your ages in as under 21. I hope you can get your money back.

I agree with you. Something fishy with this post for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it is a bit hard to understand if you did put your age in correctly how it could have been entered incorrectly. I can understand had you called it in, but not if you did it on line. Of course that is not the issue right now. I would wait until until today when there is a full staff on duty. Weekends are not the best time to try and get problems solved.

LrgPizza, my thoughts exactly. I am guessing reservation was booked, wrong age entered and OP realized they were under age. Of maybe someone just posting to be posting on a Sunday night. I find it also interesting they are on the phone and still on the computer at the same time.

LrgPizza, my thoughts exactly. I am guessing reservation was booked, wrong age entered and OP realized they were under age. Of maybe someone just posting to be posting on a Sunday night. I find it also interesting they are on the phone and still on the computer at the same time.

Why is that? OP is 20; their phone is a cell phone and their computer is a laptop. No reason they can’t be on both at the same time.

it is a bit hard to understand if you did put your age in correctly how it could have been entered incorrectly. I can understand had you called it in, but not if you did it on line. Of course that is not the issue right now. I would wait until until today when there is a full staff on duty. Weekends are not the best time to try and get problems solved.

It is called multitasking. I was on hold with Shoprite with 23 people in the queue, I put phone on speaker and did other things while I waited. I find it more interesting that someone would be on hold for 40 minutes doing nothing but listening to the repetitive free at see ads while they waited.

:rolleyes:

I hope the NCL does a refund., and I believe they will if you talk to someone about the line customer service. The basic people that answer the phones have no power to do anything outside of the talking points they have. If not the OP has the fall back to her credit card. She will need to open a credit credit dispute if they do not refund. The credit card provider will not allow the cruise company to keep the payment and not provide the cruise. The cruise lines knows they will not win a dispute. I would not even wait I would contact my card provider and let them handle it.

By entering your personal information, specifically date of birth, the NCL system will let you book a cruise as long as you turn 21 on or before embarkation day. If you turn 21 on the day after embarkation the website will deny your booking. I'm trying not to directly call out the OP for intentionally entering the wrong birth year but this is unfortunately how it may be perceived. If that happened to be the case you have a 20 year old adult fraudulently entering into a contract with NCL and then trying to get their money back after they realize they will be denied embarkation. I do think NCL will end up refunding the money, but in some ways I feel NCL would be entitled to the contract cancellation penalty provisions.

The OP loses credibility to me when she states that after checking her NCL profile and seeing her birth date incorrectly entered that it then sparks her to research the age requirements. I think the order was quite possibly the reverse. Then a quick search on cruise critic yields several threads pertaining to incorrectly entered ages, usually pertaining to alcohol, where the false information will definitely be revealed at boarding. One thing she has done right is to address this issue now and not show up at the ship when there would surely be no refund.

Why is that? OP is 20; their phone is a cell phone and their computer is a laptop. No reason they can’t be on both at the same time.

you bring up a good point and I had thought about that as well. I think because the whole story seems to have holes I just assumed she or he wouldn't be on the phone and the computer at the same time. You know what they say about assuming anything.

I've booked online twice now and it has entered birthdates incorrectly. I can get the month and date in but it will lock up on the year part. Both times I called customer service and they had to fix it on their end.

OP, I hope you get this fixed as quickly and easily as possible and if they can't do a refund for whatever reason could y'all invite an older third person to join you?

I've booked online twice now and it has entered birthdates incorrectly. I can get the month and date in but it will lock up on the year part. Both times I called customer service and they had to fix it on their end.

OP, I hope you get this fixed as quickly and easily as possible and if they can't do a refund for whatever reason could y'all invite an older third person to join you?

I have never booked on line, but when I go to pre register sometimes it will not take the year for some reason, I just have to try again or, as you mentioned: if it does book the wrong date you would think the person would realize it and call right away. Whatever happened if she did put in the correct date and the system did screw up, something must have told her to check age requirements. She waited to long and now might be up a creek without a paddle as the saying goes. I still say something isn't right about the entire story.

Hello everyone. I just booked a Norwegian cruise with a friend and paid it for it. After I did everything, I went to my account profile and saw that my age was put in wrong even though I remember putting it in perfectly right. They made me older for some reason. So I did some digging, and found out that there is an age requirement?? I am 20 (so is my friend), but they let me pay for it and everything, and now they saw that I cannot go unless I have someone older than 21 accompanying me? I am so confused on what to do. I can get a written consent from my parents if they want.

Find a third person, over the age of 21 to go with you, I'm sure that won't be a problem....Happy sailing

Find a third person, over the age of 21 to go with you, I'm sure that won't be a problem....Happy sailing

Finding someone to book a cruise 2 months out (meaning they have the funds and PTO to do so) isnt as easy as you make it sound.

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your replies. Yes, this is real lol, and I am not making the post for fun (really isn't that fun either). I did put my age right, and because I am paranoid, I remember checking absolutely everything before I clicked booked if all my information was right. Then I went to go change my password as I wanted my guest #2 to share the account with me is where I noticed the years were sent back by 3. I tried to correctly put it back to my original age and I noticed the calendar wouldn't go any further forward. I first suspected that maybe the website's calendar thing is broken, but it didn't seem like it. So, off a whim (and thank god I did it within 24hrs), I looked if there was an age requirement for some reason, and there was. Thats when the panic set in. I'm from Canada, so after your 18+, you are considered an adult and you can do anything any other adult can, but I guess with cruises if you are between 18-20, you are considered a "Young Adult." So I call the help line, and after 40 min on hold, the agent hung up after a couple of words. Then again, I waited a long time on the phone and I got an agent. I got my refund because I called a few hours after booking it, and through their history, they saw that I had put I was 20 years old. They were confused as why I could book it if I put my age as 20. So then after that, I cancelled my flight and took a deep breath of relief accompanied by sadness of not going to experience cruising until after next year (just had my birthday a couple of months ago). What is weird is that some of you guys can't think that I can put my phone down on speaker with their annoying waiting music on, and go on my laptop to type this post. It's very easy lol. I looked up after I got mine cancelled, and a few cruise lines allow unaccompanied 18+ year olds on their cruises. I still do not understand the age requirements. It would make sense if ONLY 21+ are allowed, but minors are allowed with adults accompanying them. I am a very independent person, so this came to as a big shocker.