Gastric Sleeve cruisers.

Sewingbear2

Hi all, I am starting this thread because I can't find anything about this. I am planning on having a sleeve in January 2019. Is anyone out there a sleever?

Does this have anything specific to do with Norwegian Cruise Line?

If not, the Disabled Cruise Travel sub-forum would seem to be more appropriate:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

(And that assumes that my guess about what you mean is the medical terminology, because you didn't give any additional details. After all, given you online name, this could also be about something sewing related...??)

GC

Thanks all, this is about weight loss surgery patient's and how they handle cruising after the surgery. I was shooting in the dark because I don't know if there is a site or thread to go to. I will try the one suggested.

Hi all, I am starting this thread because I can't find anything about this. I am planning on having a sleeve in January 2019. Is anyone out there a sleever?

I had the sleave about a year and a half ago. Down 100 pounds so far. Had a cruise booked on NCL the first week being allowed solid food it was very hard wanting to eat everything but made it work, drank my water all day but did make myself sick once taking that one extra bite in Cagney. The hardest part was the temptation but had no problem at any paid or free restaurant finding something to eat.

I had VSG done about 4 years ago. I have been on two cruises this year. Not sure I would have wanted to attempt it too soon after surgery. The main challenge in the first 6-9 months post-op is learning your limits.For most sleevers, one bite too many is a terrible ordeal. You go from fine to "oh my God, I'm going to die" in one bite. Learning to judge the exact right amount of each type of food to eat (some foods are more filling than others) is a lot of trial and error. And the errors really hurt! Another challenge is figuring out what agrees and disagrees with you. The whole process takes quite a while, because for the first couple of months-post op, you aren't eating "normal" foods yet and you are still healing.

Now I am 100% used to my new stomach and know exactly what behaviors are going to lead to what consequences. So going on a cruise wasn't a challenge for me a couple of years post-op. I will say, some people might think it's a waste experiencing an "all you can eat" environment with VSG, but I actually found it quite freeing. When I go out to eat, I still have to be mindful of how much I order and always get a to go box and fee obligated to eat my leftovers to get my "money's worth". But on a cruise, since you aren't paying for the individual meals, you can eat as much or as little as you can handle with no regrets about leftovers or wasted food. It's awesome!

Thanks all, this is about weight loss surgery patient's and how they handle cruising after the surgery. I was shooting in the dark because I don't know if there is a site or thread to go to. I will try the one suggested.

Just follow your protocol. From a purely logistical and tangible perspective it should be easier to do so because of the terrific range of food options on a ship that will fit your protocol. The psychological challenge may be greater - because of the terrific range of food options that don't fit your protocol.

I didn't have the sleeve, I had RnY, but no matter which flavor of bariatric surgery you get the key is following your protocol. Personally, I'd have waited for the solid food stage before cruising, if I had been a cruiser back then.