No straws, what are my options?

phoenix1181

While I completely understand the reason for eliminating straws, I'm trying to figure out how I can enjoy my drinks without them.

I always end up with a face full of ice when my drink is more than half gone.

I can bring my own straws but then I need to find a way to carry them.

I can purchase stainless steel straws which are washable but am I going to have to run back to my cabin several times a day to clean them? And I still have the problem of carrying them.

I just don't know what to do! All thoughts and suggestions are welcome...............

You might be able to ask the bartenders for a straw when you get a drink. I was on Carnival recently and they've eliminated straws as well however, of you asked the bartender for one he/she would give it to you. It might be the same on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using the Cruise Critic App

Adapt to the future. Restaurant chains, ball parks, even Miami Beach have all banned straws. Don’t face the fate of the dinosaur who failed to adapt. Drink your drink without a straw. Enjoy!

There are many drinks that can be consumed without a straw but once ice is added, it just doesn't work. As I said previously, I always end up with a face full of ice once the drink is about half gone.

Bring some disposable paper straws. With a stainless steel straw you have to worry about it getting too warm in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the winner! I'll start looking for paper straws to bring & although I don't generally carry any type of handbag while cruising, I'll find something to carry them in.

I saw on the news this morning about pasta straws. They are a long hollow tube like a straw made out of pasta that hold up well to drinks and if you get hungry, you can just nibble on them.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

Adapt to the future. Restaurant chains, ball parks, even Miami Beach have all banned straws. Don’t face the fate of the dinosaur who failed to adapt. Drink your drink without a straw. Enjoy!

Have you ever tried to drink a mudslide, pina colada, dacquiri, miami vice or milkshake without a straw? Drink without a straw is not an option as you state it is.

OP, I was looking at getting stainless steel straws that come 8 in a pack and have sleeves so won't burn lips in sun and even a bag to carry in. They also come with a cleaner. With 8 we will have to clean them at night but should not have to run back to cabin a lot to clean them. Still looking for alternatives.

I truly can not believe people worry about whether or not they can get a straw, seriously, I am no activist at all but we are talking about a plastic straw, you do know people actually drank liquid before the advent of a plastic straw?

That was very helpful :rolleyes:

I truly can not believe people worry about whether or not they can get a straw, seriously, I am no activist at all but we are talking about a plastic straw, you do know people actually drank liquid before the advent of a plastic straw?

Some people have sensitive teeth etc. if you can't answer the question why not just keep scrolling instead of lecturing?

I sometimes use a straw if all dressed up. as lipstick is very hard to remove from a drinking glass and that is a huge turn off getting a glass with lipstick still on the rim

I think this is the winner! I'll start looking for paper straws to bring & although I don't generally carry any type of handbag while cruising, I'll find something to carry them in.

I carry a small cross body so I'll sick some paper straws in to have if I get a frozen drink. I usually drink cabernet so don't need a straw for that

We brought stainless steel, and they worked great. No, we never ran back to our room to clean them. We would clean them at the end of the day, or if we happened to be back at our room in the middle of the day. The rest of the time, it would mostly move directly from one drink to the next, or get tossed into my wristlet. No big deal. I knew I wasn't going to die of some disease from my own straw if I wasn't completely sanitizing it after every use.

I will be bringing some of the fun striped party paper straws with me on our Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss. I love mudslides and will need a straw. If it gets soggy, I will just grab a new one. Don’t want to use plastic ones and these are biodegradable. :)

Mary Ann

I am bringing some plastic disposable straws and will simply insure they are put in the trash rather than let them blow away into the ocean.

You do understand that when it goes in the garbage it can still end up in the ocean? the whole point is to eliminate palstic straws altogether just like the movement to eliminate plastic bags. Reusable everything is so much better than disposable everything!

Pat

You do understand that when it goes in the garbage it can still end up in the ocean? the whole point is to eliminate palstic straws altogether just like the movement to eliminate plastic bags. Reusable everything is so much better than disposable everything!

Pat

Yes. I fully understand that. Anything can happen. A large comet can impact the earth and we could all be dead. I am not going to mess around with cleaning a straw, I don't like paper straws, so it is plastic straws for me. And with regards to plastic bags, you are ok with continuing to cut down forests and eliminate animals habitats for the wood to make the paper bags, just so there are no plastic bags? Everyone seems to forget that is why plastic bags were developed in the first place. There is always a trade off. Pick your poison.

Yes. I fully understand that. Anything can happen. A large comet can impact the earth and we could all be dead. I am not going to mess around with cleaning a straw, I don't like paper straws, so it is plastic straws for me. And with regards to plastic bags, you are ok with continuing to cut down forests and eliminate animals habitats for the wood to make the paper bags, just so there are no plastic bags? Everyone seems to forget that is why plastic bags were developed in the first place. There is always a trade off. Pick your poison.

Gampy1967, I just love your responses to lecturers!! Always makes me smile :)