Skyline Hotel

pegdave

Your choice of hotel is not a popular one. If you provide the requested details, there might be another option out there for you to find a "nice" hotel.

Great info on this East Coast Departures Board!

Thank you to all!

DH and I are sailing our first Canada/New England on NCL Dawn May 2019.

We're flying in the day before (Friday) and aren't looking for fancy or luxury accommodations...but we do have standards. I don't want to go, "ick!" when I walk into the hotel/room or have to walk up 6 flights on arthritic knees because one of the two [tiny] elevators is broken.

We have stayed in Fairfield Inns, Marriott Courtyards, Hyatt Places, Hilton Garden Inns etc. in various cities (usually somewhat suburban areas) across the country and all were clean, new, nearly-new or recently renovated.

I realize that these same moderately-priced "brand hotels" tend to be older with smaller rooms in New York City.

I saw some suggestions for Skyline Hotel and checked Tripadvisor, but now I see negative comments about it here--is it really bad? Someone recommended Fairfield Inn on W 58th--any opinions on that one?

How about Holiday Inn Long Island City-Manhattan View?

Or can anyone suggest another reasonably priced ($300) hotel room with king bed for one night prior to our sailing for us (no kids), that's in safe walking distance to a few decent eateries?

BTW we'll be using AAA rate if available and we like to book directly with the hotel (no hotels.com etc.)

Great info on this East Coast Departures Board!

Thank you to all!

DH and I are sailing our first Canada/New England on NCL Dawn May 2019.

We're flying in the day before (Friday) and aren't looking for fancy or luxury accommodations...but we do have standards. I don't want to go, "ick!" when I walk into the hotel/room or have to walk up 6 flights on arthritic knees because one of the two [tiny] elevators is broken.

We have stayed in Fairfield Inns, Marriott Courtyards, Hyatt Places, Hilton Garden Inns etc. in various cities (usually somewhat suburban areas) across the country and all were clean, new, nearly-new or recently renovated.

I realize that these same moderately-priced "brand hotels" tend to be older with smaller rooms in New York City.

I saw some suggestions for Skyline Hotel and checked Tripadvisor, but now I see negative comments about it here--is it really bad? Someone recommended Fairfield Inn on W 58th--any opinions on that one?

How about Holiday Inn Long Island City-Manhattan View?

Or can anyone suggest another reasonably priced ($300) hotel room with king bed for one night prior to our sailing for us (no kids), that's in safe walking distance to a few decent eateries?

BTW we'll be using AAA rate if available and we like to book directly with the hotel (no hotels.com etc.)

The Fairfield Inn is in a safe location. Not really a tourist location more residential. I would stay there if I were using points. You can walk to Columbus Circle or Lincoln Center area if you don’t have mobility issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Fairfield Inn is in a safe location. Not really a tourist location more residential. I would stay there if I were using points. You can walk to Columbus Circle or Lincoln Center area if you don’t have mobility issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks,

Glad Fairfield is in a safe location. Not really looking to sightsee--I'm originally from NJ; DH is from NE PA, so been there, done that.

Planning to arrive late morning/early afternoon. We (I, mainly) want decent quality, well prepared food (not asking for gourmet) at a clean restaurant with knowledgeable staff. I have food allergies so where to eat is always a concern.

We're not using points...

So it sounds like this hotel would not be your top choice...

Exact date in May? What airport are you flying into and what time does your flight arrive. Your budget is $300 for a Friday night.

Want to fly into LGA from FLL and arrive late morning or early afternoon on Friday May 10, 2019.

Our sailing is NCL Dawn Saturday, May 11, 2019.

Just DH and I.

Not interested in sightseeing, but don't want to be too far from cruise port.

Would like to be within a block or two of decent places to eat lunch and dinner the day before cruise.

After the cruise, we're planning to take a car service or NCL transfer back to LGA for a mid/late afternoon flight back to FLL.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

I should add, preferably king bed.

Is $300 for one night unrealistic for a decent hotel (AAA rate)?

You may be too early for a lot of hotels. Rates may well drop.

The Marriott East Side currently has a classic king room, cancellable until 3 days out, for $206 plus tax (AAA). That’s on Lexington, so a crosstown cab ride on Saturday morning. It’s a nice hotel, and there are a lot of neighborhood restaurants on 2nd Avenue.

A lot of the typical suburban businessman/family hotels such as Fairfield and Courtyard can be just as expensive, and sometimes more, than their full service cousins. For instance, there’s a Courtyard in Manhattan right now that’s listed at $899. That’s probably not “real”, but it’s an outrageous example.

You may be too early for a lot of hotels. Rates may well drop.

The Marriott East Side currently has a classic king room, cancellable until 3 days out, for $206 plus tax (AAA). That’s on Lexington, so a crosstown cab ride on Saturday morning. It’s a nice hotel, and there are a lot of neighborhood restaurants on 2nd Avenue.

A lot of the typical suburban businessman/family hotels such as Fairfield and Courtyard can be just as expensive, and sometimes more, than their full service cousins. For instance, there’s a Courtyard in Manhattan right now that’s listed at $899. That’s probably not “real”, but it’s an outrageous example.

Will definitely look into Marriott East Side. Thanks!!

Will definitely look into Marriott East Side. Thanks!!

Also check out the Marriott Courtyard Chelsea. If you join Marriott Rewards the rate is $212 plus tax refundable for a king bed for May 10. This would put you on the west side with an easy cab ride to the port.

Also check out the Marriott Courtyard Chelsea. If you join Marriott Rewards the rate is $212 plus tax refundable for a king bed for May 10. This would put you on the west side with an easy cab ride to the port.

I think this point of WEST SIDE is very important for visitors who want to be “close to the pier” to understand. I agree that anything in midtown is close. You don’t need it just a block away. BUT the most traffic issues involve going ACROSS town. If you fly into the Queens airports LaG or JFK you will be dealing with crosstown traffic getting to the pier one way or another. The closer to the pier, the further away from public transportation you will be so it makes touring difficult. Anyplace Midtown West should be considered an optimal location for “close to the pier”. That all said, I prefer Midtown East because it’s less touristy yet walking distance to points of interest and public transportation.

I think this point of WEST SIDE is very important for visitors who want to be “close to the pier” to understand. I agree that anything in midtown is close. You don’t need it just a block away. BUT the most traffic issues involve going ACROSS town. If you fly into the Queens airports LaG or JFK you will be dealing with crosstown traffic getting to the pier one way or another. The closer to the pier, the further away from public transportation you will be so it makes touring difficult. Anyplace Midtown West should be considered an optimal location for “close to the pier”. That all said, I prefer Midtown East because it’s less touristy yet walking distance to points of interest and public transportation.

Absolutely! I wouldn’t even discuss an East Side location for crosstown on a weekday! But I do know that hotel and neighborhood and odds are earlier on a Saturday the traffic will be heavy but moving.

Those nice short looking blocks going east-west will fool you!

Excellent info from the knowledgeable posters on this board! Special thanks to markeb, Got2Cruise and 138east for your insightful advice!

Especially liking the looks of Marriott Courtyard Chelsea--gets great reviews, rooms look nice and new, has nice modern bathrooms and the price is right!

I'm putting together a list of possible choices based on Cruise Critic members' advice and general hotel reviews to discuss with DH... but this one tops the list for me so far.