Road to Hana plan - will this even work?

Czmzlz

Does this itinerary sound too optimistic?We aren't big hikers, but do love a good photo op, so probably won't spend a lot of time at any one place. We're planning on driving the RTH on our 2nd day on Maui - we'll be on POA

1) get up as early as possible and get to the airport where we are planning to park our rental overnight

2) drive RTH to Wai'anapanapa State Park and turn around there to head back

3) Stop by Ho'okipa beach to look for windsurfers

4) late lunch or just an appetizer/drink at Mama's Fish house

5) drop off rental in Kahului at 4:30pm

Does this itinerary sound too optimistic?We aren't big hikers, but do love a good photo op, so probably won't spend a lot of time at any one place. We're planning on driving the RTH on our 2nd day on Maui - we'll be on POA

1) get up as early as possible and get to the airport where we are planning to park our rental overnight

2) drive RTH to Wai'anapanapa State Park and turn around there to head back

3) Stop by Ho'okipa beach to look for windsurfers

4) late lunch or just an appetizer/drink at Mama's Fish house

5) drop off rental in Kahului at 4:30pm

I'm surprised no one has answered your question yet. We've taken the Road to Hana on a van tour and our tour took all day to go all the way around. The road is extremely curvy once past the junction with SR 360 and therefore pretty slow so take that into account. While the distance is not far, expect it to take awhile to get to the park, where I assume you may want to spend some time. Also consider that you may want to stop frequently to take a photo, enjoy the scenery, etc. Our tour took all day to do the complete circle from/to Kahului. Here's a helpful site in case you haven't seen it: https://roadtohana.com/

Doable? Sure, if you limit where you stop (and time at each stop) and leave early. Wai'anapanapa is my favorite stop and where we spent the most time (besides my original destination of the Pipiwai Trail). Because I wanted to get to the trail before it got too hot, we headed up as soon as it was light enough and didn't stop at all of the stops on the way up. There is usually less traffic earlier in the morning. So, if you are set on doing this, I would select the "must do stops" on the way up and have a list of "if we have time on the way back" stops.

The road can be stressful for some people due to the curves and the cars stopping & pulling in and out along the way. Also, the stress of worrying if you don't make it back in time could play a significant factor in your enjoyment of the day. I went back to some of my photos to see what time I took them. We headed up around 7am and we were at Wai'anapanapa by 9:15am. Now remember, we didn't make a lot of stops on the way because I wanted to get on the Pipiwai before it was too hot. Also, I was on a land vacation, so we were sure to do this on a day when there was NOT a ship in port to lessen the traffic.

In a nutshell, I think it is doable as long as you edit your stops (staying on the very safe side of caution) and aren't disappointed if you miss anything. It just gives you a reason to go back some day. I didn't get any of Auntie Sandy's banana bread because we didn't stop on the way up and they were sold out by the time we came back. BUT, my daughter & son-in-law did the RTH the next day and brought me some - so the day was not ruined. LOL On a side note - I actually like the banana mac nut bread at Ma'alaea General Store even better! If you get to the harbor during your visit on the first day, you must stop in there. :)

Now getting into Mama's for more than a drink or app, might be challenging. Very popular, especially when ships are in port.

Edited by suziehmkr

I'm surprised no one has answered your question yet. We've taken the Road to Hana on a van tour and our tour took all day to go all the way around. The road is extremely curvy once past the junction with SR 360 and therefore pretty slow so take that into account. While the distance is not far, expect it to take awhile to get to the park, where I assume you may want to spend some time. Also consider that you may want to stop frequently to take a photo, enjoy the scenery, etc. Our tour took all day to do the complete circle from/to Kahului. Here's a helpful site in case you haven't seen it: https://roadtohana.com/

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen that before! Looks like it will be a great resource!

Doable? Sure, if you limit where you stop (and time at each stop) and leave early. Wai'anapanapa is my favorite stop and where we spent the most time (besides my original destination of the Pipiwai Trail). Because I wanted to get to the trail before it got too hot, we headed up as soon as it was light enough and didn't stop at all of the stops on the way up. There is usually less traffic earlier in the morning. So, if you are set on doing this, I would select the "must do stops" on the way up and have a list of "if we have time on the way back" stops.

The road can be stressful for some people due to the curves and the cars stopping & pulling in and out along the way. Also, the stress of worrying if you don't make it back in time could play a significant factor in your enjoyment of the day. I went back to some of my photos to see what time I took them. We headed up around 7am and we were at Wai'anapanapa by 9:15am. Now remember, we didn't make a lot of stops on the way because I wanted to get on the Pipiwai before it was too hot. Also, I was on a land vacation, so we were sure to do this on a day when there was NOT a ship in port to lessen the traffic.

In a nutshell, I think it is doable as long as you edit your stops (staying on the very safe side of caution) and aren't disappointed if you miss anything. It just gives you a reason to go back some day. I didn't get any of Auntie Sandy's banana bread because we didn't stop on the way up and they were sold out by the time we came back. BUT, my daughter & son-in-law did the RTH the next day and brought me some - so the day was not ruined. LOL On a side note - I actually like the banana mac nut bread at Ma'alaea General Store even better! If you get to the harbor during your visit on the first day, you must stop in there. :)

Now getting into Mama's for more than a drink or app, might be challenging. Very popular, especially when ships are in port.

Thanks for the info! I'll do some more research on the stops- that is a good idea. I know for sure I want to Wai'anapanapa, so we may work our way backwards too. Good to know about the bread - that is something we definitely want! I was thinking about making a reservation at Mama's for about 3 just in case. I need to figure out how long it will take to get back to the ship from there. Thanks again!

Why not just to part of the RTH and enjoy a nice lunch at Mama's? You don't have to do the whole round trip to see the beauty. You can find some great stopping spots when you research, I like the Richard Sullivan Driving and Discovering Hawaii guide for Maui and Molokai. You can google the book and get a preview of it online. Ending your drive at Mama's is a great idea. It is not inexpensive but the spot is gorgeous. Have fun, Cherie

Why not just to part of the RTH and enjoy a nice lunch at Mama's? You don't have to do the whole round trip to see the beauty. You can find some great stopping spots when you research, I like the Richard Sullivan Driving and Discovering Hawaii guide for Maui and Molokai. You can google the book and get a preview of it online. Ending your drive at Mama's is a great idea. It is not inexpensive but the spot is gorgeous. Have fun, Cherie

My original plan was to turn around halfway - maybe around Wailua, but then I read about the black sand beach etc, at Wai'anapanapa which sounds great. Where do you think would be a good place to turn around? Thanks for the info on the guide too! Mama's sounds awesome - I hope it all works out for us lol!

My hubby and I have a house in Maui and have driven to Hana many, many times. I can say that for us, it's always exhausting and always takes more time than you think it's going to. Don't get me wrong, it's worth it, it's just that you can't (or shouldn't in my opinion) schedule too tightly. Every inch of it is gorgeous and we find something new every time. We tend to skip most of the spots listed in the guidebooks as they are crowded and it can be really hard, and dangerous, to park. I would opt to spend more time exploring and Skip Mama's, but I'm sure you will find others who disagree. I just feel like you can have a nice meal with a lovely view in many places, but there's only one Road to Hana.

I would want to allow two hours at Mama’s for lunch and to enjoy the grounds. It’s not a lunch you will want to rush through. You have to have a res and getting a seat at the bar for drinks and apps is hit or miss.

The black sand beach is a highlight not to be missed. I think my advice would probably be drive straight there and do stops on the way back and I still think it might be tight.

You could also do as suggested and go as far as say Three Bears Falls (just past MM 19, black sand beach is MM 32.2), and then turn back for lunch at Mama’s. If you have extra time, you can drive over to the Ho’okipa Lookout to see turtles or walk around Paia and you can also arrive early to Mama’s and walk the grounds before lunch.

Of course you could also just relax on the RTH and if you make it to Mama’s great and if you don’t you still had an amazing day. Lots of options. Just be mindful of the weather and don’t attempt on day two if there is inclement weather. You could go to Iao Valley instead, Maui Tropical Plantation, Twin Falls, stroll around Paia, have lunch at Mama’s and that would still be a nice day.

Just remember that two mild tropical drinks alone will run you over $44 with tax and tip at Mama's. As mentioned, there are other places to dine on Maui with great views where you can have a whole lunch for less than that.

I would love to know the names of restaurants with a great view, bar, food, and beach on the way back from the RTH. Thanks in advance, Cherie

...there are other places to dine on Maui with great views where you can have a whole lunch for less than that.

I would love to know the names of restaurants with a great view, bar, food, and beach on the way back from the RTH. Thanks in advance, Cherie

Note we said "on Maui" and not "on the way back from the road to Hana".

Maui Time published a 2018 Best of Maui issue on July 19th though that gives quite a few ideas on the subject. We have our hard copy, but believe you can get it online too.

I actually read the "on Maui" part but thought you had a substitution for Mama's. I have not been able to find anything like Mama's that can be combined with the RTH. Totally agree that there are many restaurants with great views on Maui. Was hoping you were thinking of one on the RTH. Cherie