14 day Caribbean cruise - Star Breeze or Wind Surf?

cruzin' peach

Preparing to book our first WS cruise and therefore have little knowledge about the itineraries/ships. We're looking at the 14-day Caribbean Collection aboard the Star Breeze (currently on sale at $1000 off) or the Star Collector Caribbean Exploration aboard the Wind Surf. Itineraries are similar in many respects and we're not particularly drawn to one over the other. Would welcome any input from past cruisers who may have done either trip, or from those who have sailed on both the Star Breeze and the Wind Surf and can offer good comparisons! We're enticed by the larger suites in the Star Breeze but also by the masted sailing capabilities of the Wind Surf. Help! :confused:

If it's your first cruise with Wind Star I would vote to go on the Wind Surf. There's nothing like the sails! We cruised on the Wind Surf two years ago on the Classic Caribbean out of St Martin and it was wonderful. We had previously cruised on their smaller Wind Spirit which we loved as well. We haven't cruised on the 3 Star ships and while they look beautiful we love the feeling of the sailing ship and would choose one of them first. Either way you can't go wrong on a Wind Star cruise! Welcome aboard!

We have been on both the Surf and the motor yachts in Caribbean and Europe. Our first love is the Surf and we'll be on for 2 weeks starting 11/18. What we love about the Surf in the Caribbean are the open decks. There is more outside space on her and we love to sit and look at the water and the islands whether under sail or anchored. The motor yachts feel a bit more like a cruise ship to us which is fine but we just like the "uncruise" feeling on the sailing ships. We do love the suites on the motor yachts, including the large bathroom. The crews are equally wonderful. So on a personal level, we prefer the sailing ships in the islands. In Europe it's a toss up as we're off the ship more trying to take in as much as we can on full day tours. Hope that helps. Either way you can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great input from both of you! sb44 - I especially appreciate your insight regarding the open decks of the Surf while cruising the Caribbean...a great point. And since the sails are what drew us to WS in the first place, I think you've just convinced me! While the large suites sound nice, we don't plan to spend any more time in them than necessary. Now I just have to hope that another sale comes along for the Wind Surf (other than the 11/18 cruise...which we considered, but since we like fall here in PA we'd rather get away in the middle of winter). Now, a follow-up question....would either of you like to refer us to take advantage of the on-board credit?

I'd be happy to. Shoot an email to sb44ins at gmail. Wish you could join us in November. It's not as crowded down there before the holidays. They will run more sales but airfare goes up in the winter so I'd watch that too. I think you have non stop on Jet Blue from the northeast. Lucky you. We have to fly north to Charlotte to get to St Martin. Better than going through Miami though!

Totally agree with sb44. We have sailed on both and we adore the sails, the decks, the space inside as well. I think the sails are so condusive to the Caribbean. We loved the Breeze, we had a French balcony, great, for us, sailers our whole lives it is Sails. The service, laundry, food, crew all have that great WS stamp but the sails call us. We live in New England, I hate January so we always take the WS cruise the first two weeks of January. It makes the month fly by. We have found airfare cheaper, cruises with WS cheaper and the ports are not as crowded because it is right after the holidays. Out of Philadelphia American flies into St. Maartens we are on it 1/4, we fly to Philly from Boston very early. Agree with sb44 Miami is grim.

You can not go wrong with both ships the same wonderful ways but oh the sails....

Happy Sailing.

We have cruised on both and I totally agree with the above comments. The open deck is greater on the Surf. The room size on the sail ships can be a little startling if you have cruised before but we just use our room for changing and sleeping. The smaller room encourages everyone to get out and mingle which is what I love most about Windstar. We have met wonderful people on our cruises, very friendly. And crew...what can one say? They are fabulous and it's like a family reunion when you board and are recognized by crew. Our favorite cruise line.

Let me also endorse the previous comments. We have been on both ships and, for the Caribbean, the Wind Surf would be my choice. Purely subjective however as you won't go wrong with either. Wind Star is a great line because of it's staff. They work hard to make you happy.

Last winter we did an extended Caribbean cruise aboard the Seabourn Odyssey which was outstanding. (Love Seabourn.) However, for us, it just didn't have the right feel for the location. Kind of like drinking wine at a barbecue - good but a beer would be better.

Let me also endorse the previous comments. We have been on both ships and, for the Caribbean, the Wind Surf would be my choice. Purely subjective however as you won't go wrong with either. Wind Star is a great line because of it's staff. They work hard to make you happy.

Last winter we did an extended Caribbean cruise aboard the Seabourn Odyssey which was outstanding. (Love Seabourn.) However, for us, it just didn't have the right feel for the location. Kind of like drinking wine at a barbecue - good but a beer would be better.

Great analogy! Happy sailing.

Thank you all for your input! Sounds like the Wind Surf is definitely the way to go in the Caribbean. However, we've just thrown another iron into the fire by considering the Southern Spain & Morocco cruise...also on the Wind Surf! We've done 5 Caribbean cruises already (although each on board a big ship)...and none in Europe, so we're beginning to reconsider. Or maybe we should do both!! :confused:

Thank you all for your input! Sounds like the Wind Surf is definitely the way to go in the Caribbean. However' date=' we've just thrown another iron into the fire by considering the Southern Spain & Morocco cruise...also on the Wind Surf! We've done 5 Caribbean cruises already (although each on board a big ship)...and none in Europe, so we're beginning to reconsider. Or maybe we should do both!! :confused:[/quote']

My vote is both but not my $$$.[emoji12]

We've just come back from Southern Spain and Morrocco on the Windsurf, which we sailed on before quite a few times. We were also 14 days on the Star Legend in Norway and Northern Europe.

If you're going to the Caribbean, I would choose the Surf. For the Spain/Morocco itinerary, I think you could choose either. It quite port intensive and we had some very very hot days, in which case the larger cabins would be a plus on the Legend.

However, choosing both is probably your best bet.:)

We are looking at Treasures of Southern Spain and Morocco for September/October 2018. One cruise is on the Wind Surf and one is on the Wind Star. I feel like it's a win - win situation!

We are looking at Treasures of Southern Spain and Morocco for September/October 2018. One cruise is on the Wind Surf and one is on the Wind Star. I feel like it's a win - win situation!

Great itinerary. We did it 2 years ago on the Surf. One of our favorites of all time. Lisbon and Barcelona two of the greatest cities in the world. Want to go back!

Great itinerary. We did it 2 years ago on the Surf. One of our favorites of all time. Lisbon and Barcelona two of the greatest cities in the world. Want to go back!

Nice to hear! We want to spend some time in the south of France as well so it's shaping up to be about a three week trip with time in Lisbon and Barcelona as well. Did you take any ship excursions or do things on your own?

Oh my gosh...I think you guys are swaying us towards the Spain/Morocco cruise now! Our friends just said they would do the Caribbean cruise in 2019 with us, so looks like we're going to the Mediterranean in 2018! But we're thinking about the April cruise...does anyone have input on that time of year? And do you get to play off of the sports platform on that cruise?

Oh...never mind that last question...I just read where regulations prohibit the use of the sports platform on this cruise. :(

Nice to hear! We want to spend some time in the south of France as well so it's shaping up to be about a three week trip with time in Lisbon and Barcelona as well. Did you take any ship excursions or do things on your own?

We did our own excursions. A couple just the two of us, one with another couple and then in Almeria 6 of us with a great guide. Did south of France last year and also did private guides. Probably the French guides were the least friendly. Surf couldn't make scheduled port on two stops because of wind and change of pickup could have affected their attitudes. Tangiers we had a guide who was a decent guy. Best thing was taking us to a luncheon in a home/restaurant of a family. Food was great and we all laughed our heads off. All of the guides eventually take everyone to the Kasbah which is home to the most overly aggressive street vendors ever. Then they get everyone into rug stores for "special" deals. Just beware, don't buy anything! It was an "experience". We have fabulous guide in Portugal who lives in Porto. Friends also loved him. People who went on ship tour to Alhambra spent day on bus. Really too far for day trip. It's a wonderful itinerary. We hope to take it again. Malaga beautiful and with some research lots to do without a guide. Wow! This makes me want to book again!

Just to add another "iron in the fire", the Greek islands are fabulous on the Wind Star!

Did you do the 7 or 10-11 day? How long ago? This is yet another dream of ours. Do you feel like there were big differences island to island? Interested in your thoughts.

• 10 months later...

We are booked on the Star Pride for a 14-day Leeward Islands Windstar cruise out of San Juan,

at a great price for Nov 10 date. It will be our first Windstar cruise, we have avoided big cruise ships since a conference years ago on Carnival turned us off of the cattle-herd style of cruising, Any comments or recommendations welcome. I will be revisiting many of the islands I spent time in during several years of cruising by small private yacht back in the early 80's.

lastmate: We did a 7 day on the Star Pride last December, basically for the same reason you are talking about. One thing that is different is that most of the places we visited by private boat didn't have cruise ships (Iles des Saintes, for example). Many are much busier than you will remember. We are sailors, but loved the Star Pride.

• 1 month later...

All choices should be so good. Windsurf is unique. It is ideal for sailing in warm weather. Windsurf has small cabins. I don't spend much time in the cabin when the weather is warm. Love sitting outside near the aft pool or one deck up at Compass Rose. Windsurf pool area has a bar. The Star ships are very nice. Love the suites with big picture windows or french balcony. I like to sit in the suite and watch the scenery. Star ships have a terrific yacht club on deck 7 forward. Great place to sit and enjoy the views. Star ships do not have as good a pool area as Windsurf. The star ships have a small raised hot tub and tiny pool. The pool area has chairs and many obstructions which block views. For me, I would choose the Windsurf in the caribbean and star ships for more port intensive cruises. Star ships are smaller and get into many ports that Windsurf would not fit. Either ship does a great cruise. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised Wind Surf for 14 days in the Caribbean earlier this year and loved it.

The sails are not big and billowing but are very pleasant.

This November we have booked Wind Surf again for the 13 day transatlantic from Lisbon to St Maarten and then a 7 day following on around the islands.

When they released the 20 day and we booked it far in advance it was half the current price, it may well come down again closer to the saildate, at least the Transatlantic part may, not so sure the 7 days Caribbean cruise will.

If anyone wants a good cheap one way ticket from US to Lisbon you might want to look at TAP, the Portugese airline. That's who we booked.

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for your input! Sounds like the Wind Surf is definitely the way to go in the Caribbean. However' date=' we've just thrown another iron into the fire by considering the Southern Spain & Morocco cruise...also on the Wind Surf! We've done 5 Caribbean cruises already (although each on board a big ship)...and none in Europe, so we're beginning to reconsider. Or maybe we should do both!! :confused:[/quote']

I also vote both. Please post reviews when you get back.