No Overnight Parking In Kahului, Maui for POA

Lovex4

Can somebody please update on the parking situation at the terminal in Kahului, as we are sailing in a few weeks and have rented a car for 2 days.:)

Sorry I can't point you to the specific report, but the parking was referred to in a very recent report posted either here or on the main NCL board in a POA trip report.

The poster ended up spending $13 to park at the airport. It was a short walk from there to the car rental office nearby where they caught the shuttle back to the ship. They said they did this as they were told that several cars had recently been towed from the "mall parking" area and it was not worth the risk for them. If I run across it, I'll post it here.

Sorry I can't point you to the specific report, but the parking was referred to in a very recent report posted either here or on the main NCL board in a POA trip report.

The poster ended up spending $13 to park at the airport. It was a short walk from there to the car rental office nearby where they caught the shuttle back to the ship. They said they did this as they were told that several cars had recently been towed from the "mall parking" area and it was not worth the risk for them. If I run across it, I'll post it here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369201&highlight=towed

My parents are on POA right now. They ended up doing the shuttle and parking at the airport too. They felt it was easy enough to do and gave them peace of mind. They really felt it was a shame because there was plenty of space for parking at the pier. Seems like the port could make some money if they charged for parking and it would be convenient!

Maybe the powers that be are trying to encourage cruisers to purchase excursions that include transportation ?

I don't believe that NCL had anything to do with this. My understanding is that it was a Port of Hawaii decision for whatever reason.

I think the parking within the port gate was always very limited. I know in 2013, we arrived back in the late afternoon, and the "inside" lot was already full. We were directed down the street to the lot with the fenced walkway back. Too bad the Port did not see fit to continue this lot, even if they had to charge a fee.

I don't believe that NCL had anything to do with this. My understanding is that it was a Port of Hawaii decision for whatever reason.

I think the parking within the port gate was always very limited. I know in 2013, we arrived back in the late afternoon, and the "inside" lot was already full. We were directed down the street to the lot with the fenced walkway back. Too bad the Port did not see fit to continue this lot, even if they had to charge a fee.

The DOT Harbors Division Maui District Office is relocating to the Old Kahului Railroad Building along Ka'ahumanu Avenue (near the fenced walkway), and they need the area for their purposes. The two-story green building next door has been torn down. The DOT says they need the space for more than parking.

The DOT Harbors Division Maui District Office is relocating to the Old Kahului Railroad Building along Ka'ahumanu Avenue (near the fenced walkway), and they need the area for their purposes. The two-story green building next door has been torn down. The DOT says they need the space for more than parking.

Well, shame on them for not taking into consideration the needs of the cruising tourists who visit their fair state, dock at their port, rent a car, and need a place to park without fear of being towed.;).

It seems like someone in Maui could put their heads together and solve this problem. To target those rental cars and tow them really seems like harassment of the tourists they try so hard to attract, especially when they have provided no alternative to "illegal" overnight parking, other than the airport, which is problematic for those who want very early access to their cars from the port on the am of the second day. I'm not sure how many overnight cars there are ( and only one night per week ), surely there is a mall lot big enough to accommodate them in a designated overnight area without inconveniencing either the store owners or the customers.

In case anyone wants actual confirmation, I rec'd this email response back when I emailed the harbor master at Kahului

Aloha,

Unfortunately there is no designated safe parking at the harbor. You would have to park at the airport a couple of miles away.

Have a nice trip,

Steve

Well, shame on them for not taking into consideration the needs of the cruising tourists who visit their fair state, dock at their port, rent a car, and need a place to park without fear of being towed.;).

It seems like someone in Maui could put their heads together and solve this problem. To target those rental cars and tow them really seems like harassment of the tourists they try so hard to attract, especially when they have provided no alternative to "illegal" overnight parking, other than the airport, which is problematic for those who want very early access to their cars from the port on the am of the second day. I'm not sure how many overnight cars there are ( and only one night per week ), surely there is a mall lot big enough to accommodate them in a designated overnight area without inconveniencing either the store owners or the customers.

Well said, Brenda.

The parking lot is huge, and could easily accommodate even another 70-80 cars.

When we came back from the OLL at around 9.30PM, the lot was almost empty, and when we fetched it in the morning at around 10AM, it was slightly more occupied.

This mall stretches over several streets, I walked it before leaving Maui looking for some "interesting" shopping and all the parking lots seemed quite deserted to me.

BUT, I think that NCL has also to put her weight down for its passengers, taking into account that it docks at such industrial ports:mad:

The owner of the mall could get smart and start to charge to park overnight. That's how it works in Kauai, there is a shopping plaza that charges for you to park overnight, you get a parking pass for the night and have to have the car out of the lot early in the morning.

Unless Maui county has an ordinance about parking in a lot of that type overnight I'm sure a mutually beneficial arrangement is possible but the right person will have to make that happen.

~Katy

The owner of the mall could get smart and start to charge to park overnight. That's how it works in Kauai, there is a shopping plaza that charges for you to park overnight, you get a parking pass for the night and have to have the car out of the lot early in the morning.

Unless Maui county has an ordinance about parking in a lot of that type overnight I'm sure a mutually beneficial arrangement is possible but the right person will have to make that happen.

~Katy

Hopefully that would work however unless it's profitable there's no incentive for the lot's owner to do it.

Is the Kauai shopping plaza set up to have paid parking? The Maui Mall's lot which is closest to the port is quite large with several entrances & not sure if it'd be cost effective for the mall's owners to pay someone one evening per week to manage a paid parking system.

Edited by Astro Flyer

There's a person you go to about the parking in Kauai. It's not like metered parking, you just pay them and they give you a slip of paper with the date for a pass. I can't see how it wouldn't be profitable, it would be very low overhead. Maybe one part time employee if there's not already an employee who could do it. I think in Kauai you get it through a shop that books excursions though my memory is fuzzy on that. And maybe a little paint if they want to designate a specific area for the overnight parking.

~Katy

There's a person you go to about the parking in Kauai. It's not like metered parking, you just pay them and they give you a slip of paper with the date for a pass. I can't see how it wouldn't be profitable, it would be very low overhead. Maybe one part time employee if there's not already an employee who could do it. I think in Kauai you get it through a shop that books excursions though my memory is fuzzy on that. And maybe a little paint if they want to designate a specific area for the overnight parking.

~Katy

Thanks...that would seem to be doable. :)

Some passengers have posted parking there overnight without a problem but if there are signs saying cars will be towed that's a risk. I haven't read about anyone being towed but relatively few people post on CC so it may have happened.

It's probably only a few cars who park there overnight once a week & if there are warning signs they could remove the signs. Although removing signs probably wouldn't allow them to tow cars illegally parked there long term. Maybe they just ignore overnight parking when the POA is in port but don't think I'd take that risk. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We parked at the Muai mall overnight on 7/3-7/4. We had a 7am private excursion and wouldn't have time to take the airport shuttle since it didn't start until 7. We parked near the road in front of Long drugs as others have done. Lots of cars parked there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
I meant to add in my previous post that we called mall security and they said to make sure a receipt is visible on the dashboard to show we were customers and had shopped at the mall.

So I can just buy a candy bar, and leave the receipt visible on the dashboard, and that will keep a rental car from being towed?

So I can just buy a candy bar, and leave the receipt visible on the dashboard, and that will keep a rental car from being towed?

We certainly would not make any bet on that.

Also, in case no one has answered yet, the Feast At Lele is located at 505 Front Street. It is easy to get there from Kahului Harbor. Just google directions from Kahului Harbor to 505 Front Street.

I meant to add in my previous post that we called mall security and they said to make sure a receipt is visible on the dashboard to show we were customers and had shopped at the mall.

I agree with 'Silver Sweethearts' and I wouldn't bet on my car not being towed.

Without being told directly by Maui Mall security, basing it being allowed because someone posted on CC that an unidentified mall security officer said it was okay probably won't help if it's towed. Unless there's a written policy to allow overnight parking with a receipt visible on the dashboard, I wouldn't take a chance.

It's also possible to talk to one mall security officer but another one may have the overnight shift & if it's towed that'll ruin the next day & be quite expensive.

As I previously posted, being towed may be unlikely & each of us have to decide if we feel that we'll be lucky. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

The way it was done on Maui, it seemed better to just return the car by the time of the last shuttle. Since we got out of the luau at 9:23 p.m., we made it (last Enterprise shuttle was about 10:30 p.m.). I talked to other cruisers that said they were making 2 separate car rentals, on both Maui and Kauai.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of doing the airport/ taxi idea as I don't want to chance a tow. After you rented the car and dropped it off at the overnight parking at the airport where you able to take a car rental shuttle to the pier or did you use the taxi service? Does anyone know the last time Thrifty and Dollar Rental last shuttle leaves to the pier?

This company was mentioned in DF's post - http://www.cbtaximaui.com/

df5250, I was wondering how your plan worked out? What time did you have the taxi pick you up to bring you to the aiport?

Thank you for posting this information! We are going to stay with our original plan of a car for two days so that we can drive up to Haleakala to see the sunrise in the wee hours of Monday morning. I did a little research today...There is overnight parking at the airport for $15, and a 24 hour cab service for around $10 each way. It will cost a little more than we planned, but is still much cheaper for the four of us than a formal tour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...
Thank you for posting this information! We are going to stay with our original plan of a car for two days so that we can drive up to Haleakala to see the sunrise in the wee hours of Monday morning. I did a little research today...There is overnight parking at the airport for $15, and a 24 hour cab service for around $10 each way. It will cost a little more than we planned, but is still much cheaper for the four of us than a formal tour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do you remember the 24 hour cab service info in Maui...I want to book an excursion for our second day in Maui but scared theres not going to be transportation at 6:30am to the airport to get our car???? WDYT

Do you remember the 24 hour cab service info in Maui...I want to book an excursion for our second day in Maui but scared theres not going to be transportation at 6:30am to the airport to get our car???? WDYT

I had to dig out of our planner... it was CB Maui Taxi Service. They picked us up at the Mall near the port around 3:30AM and took us to the Airport for our car. You should be able to Google them, the phone is 808 243 8294. Sorry, I do not recall the time the shuttle service started. Good luck with your planning and have an awesome trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums