Any recent experience with transportation at Kai Tak cruise terminal?

NantahalaCruiser

Celebrity had a shuttle that took us to the Kowloon Airport Express train station. There you can check your luggage 24 hrs ahead of time (our flight was not until after midnight). After spending some time in a museum, we took the train to our hotel, just across from the airport, where we stayed on a day rate until our flight departed.

The shuttle was a very modest charge and the train to the airport was very cheap.

We did this with Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas earlier this year. Cost about US$20 each for the transfer in a small mini-bus. I'd also recommend the Kowloon Airport Express check-in. We checked in and dropped off our bags. There was a left luggage office there where we could leave out hand luggage and then we had the day to tour HK under our own steam (we went down to STanly Market).

• 5 months later...

We will be arriving the Kai Tak terminal and plan to go to Disney. Would the easiest choice be waiting for a taxi and if so, can anyone report recently on being able to use a credit card in the taxi or the uber take over company to look into? Many thanks. Security and safely is paramount as we will be one adult and 2 children. I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

We will be arriving the Kai Tak terminal and plan to go to Disney. Would the easiest choice be waiting for a taxi and if so, can anyone report recently on being able to use a credit card in the taxi or the uber take over company to look into? Many thanks. Security and safely is paramount as we will be one adult and 2 children ... Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

First, HKG is one of the safest cities anywhere in the world - you will have no security issues whatsover ... just follow basic & common sense rules as travelers & visitors ... police response is among the fastest and a simple 999 call away.

For 3 travelers, taxi would probably consider "easy" if time is of the essence, taxi-stand @KTCT to curbside by the entrance to Disney @Lautau vs. free mall shuttle to MTR, buy Octopus cards & ride/transfer subway trains to Sunny Bay for the DRL

http://www.hongkong.net/sites/default/files/newimg/hk/mtr-navigation-in-trains.jpg

We always pay our taxi fares in HKD (local currency) as cash is always preferred - can't help with your question about requesting one that accept CC.

As for Uber and similar ride-sharing operations in HK, they are illegal and local police just cracked down and seized & impounded a dozen + vehicles - they are not properly licensed nor insured, ride at your own full risk & good luck if you get into an accident with injuries. My advice - avoid them in H.K.

Thank you mking8288

I do like the idea of taking the MTR into Disney, as we have plenty of time and I hear that the last leg of the ride is Disney themed in the subway. Thank you also for your safety remarks, that makes me feel much better.

I have hear about this "free mall shuttle" in other posts during my research, but I still don't understand exactly where you catch it and why it is free? Can you give me a little insight or is there a link specific to the free shuttle? I would like to leave the terminal, hop on the free shuttle and then do all the purchasing via credit card to get the octopus card.

Thanks again!

The free mall shuttles leave from the transportation area inside the terminal, there should be signage and "greeters" or ambassadors showing the way ... offering as a courtesy to ship passegers, to bring prospective visitors to the multi-story shopping malls to buy ... which is next to/on top of the MTR train stations.

Once you get to the mall, you will find ATM's from major local banks like HSBC and Hang Seng branches - most of them equipped to accept chip-enabled cards and 4 digit PINS, just be sure to alert your home bank/credit card issuers about your travel & cruise plans ... to avoid getting blocked or fraud alert-prevention "pausing" your transactions. Currencies are dispensed in HKD only.

MTR station concourse has the automated, self-service kiosk to buy the Octopus cards for travel, although if you need help or aren't sure - see one of the uniformed employees on duty for help. You can buy with HKD in cash or with credit cards, bilingual instructions made it simple.

More info in this Wiki - http://cruiseportwiki.com/HongKong

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you mking8288

I do like the idea of taking the MTR into Disney, as we have plenty of time and I hear that the last leg of the ride is Disney themed in the subway. Thank you also for your safety remarks, that makes me feel much better.

I have hear about this "free mall shuttle" in other posts during my research, but I still don't understand exactly where you catch it and why it is free? Can you give me a little insight or is there a link specific to the free shuttle? I would like to leave the terminal, hop on the free shuttle and then do all the purchasing via credit card to get the octopus card.

Thanks again!

If you are in a hurry, then I recommend a taxi instead of the free mall shuttle. When I was there in Oct/Nov 2016 after we got on the shuttle we waited for 25 minutes before it left.

• 2 months later...

Many of the taxis in HK are radio equipped, particularly those working the midnight shift. Ask your ship or the terminal staff to call one for you. Allow 15 minutes, there should always be someone to respond to the call and drive to the Terminal. The extra fee for a radio call order is HK$5, or about US$0.7. You need to pay the whole fare in HK$ cash. The entire trip will be about HK$300, including toll and luggage.

Many of the taxis in HK are radio equipped, particularly those working the midnight shift. Ask your ship or the terminal staff to call one for you. Allow 15 minutes, there should always be someone to respond to the call and drive to the Terminal. The extra fee for a radio call order is HK$5, or about US$0.7. You need to pay the whole fare in HK$ cash. The entire trip will be about HK$300, including toll and luggage.

Thank you so much. That's so good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

The MTR is very easy to get around ( although if you have to change train lines there will be some walking through tunnels). I would preprint a subway map and look up what places you want to see and at what MTR stop. There was large tourist posters at the stop in English that would point out what staircase to use to get to your tourist spot. This was one of the easier metros systems I have used.

• 4 months later...
Is there a duty free shop in The Kai Tak port where you can purchase wine befor a Cruise?

Not when I was there on QM2 in March last year, the shops were empty, you know, no tenants.:(

Is there a duty free shop in The Kai Tak port where you can purchase wine befor a Cruise?

We were in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago on Celebrity Constellation and there is hardly any shops at Kai Tak cruise terminal. There is a money change and ATMs. Also be aware that the 2 free shuttle services to the shopping malls are provided by the mall management and not the cruise company. Both malls are adjacent to the subway system but the cruise terminal is not. Taxis seemed readily available.

We are surprised that nobody mentioned Uber...which does exist in Hong Kong..although its not always cheaper than a taxi. But if there is a taxi queue one could simply summon Uber. The Uber X charge from Kai Tek to the Star Ferry Pier ranges from 67 to 86 Hong Kong Dollars. They also have some larger cars and vans (for higher prices). Or course you would need to have a working Smartphone and an Uber Account. But you would then not need to use any cash and could wait until you get into Centro (or elsewhere) to access an ATM.

Hank

We used Uber (post #24) from Kai Tak Terminal to Hyatt Regency in TST. Worked out great for the 5 of us. Instead of using 2 taxis, one van took care of all of us plus our bags. Then someone said Uber is illegal in HK in a later post. Maybe something to keep in mind.

I asked my local sources, retirees that live in HK about their views - Uber is essentially operating in the grey market's shadow. Local police, most definitely, consider this ride-sharing platform's services illegal (a rather traditional view adopted and in place for decades vis-a-vis licensed, metered red taxi) and has been cracking down, running sting operations to go after those competing for customers at the airport.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-tech-hongkong/uber-raises-hong-kong-fares-amid-legal-tangles-idUSKCN1B10EO

The risks for the traveler going to the airport or cruise terminal, where time is critical and delays are not good, is that the police recently stopped Uber cars with riders on their way to catch their flights at HKIA ... the rests, you can imagine, while they question the driver and the passengers, verified identity card info and put the driver/vehicle "out of service" on the side of the roadway, forcing those to find alternate means of transport to reach the destination, apparently at great risk of missing their departing flights.

Fares might be cheaper, the ride in a newer & nicer sedan, and for ordering the Black, a boxy minivan with up to 8 seats meant that 6 or 7 can travel together, possibly fitting all their luggage as well if they pack smartly - the risks, whether one wish to take the chance with the delay en route.

Arriving into Kai Tak or HKIA and then staying in town, or just getting around - I suppose the risk is reasonable to take. Always buckle up, by law in HK, all riders, front AND backseats must buckle up in their safety belts.

The other risks, is, whether Uber is fully insured as a car service in the event of an accident with injuries; and, medical bills for the unfortunate riders - should the insurancce company refused to cover or pay up ... check with Uber first about their coverage claims, just to be clear.

Drivers in HK are known to follow very, very, very closely - essentially, tailgating & stopping with a foot of the other vehicle's bumpers - it is a bit un-nerving to ride in the backseat, until you get used to it, coming from the US.

Last time we flew into HK, 3 of us just took the Cityflyer's A21 bus to Nathan Road for our hotel, less than $5 USD p/p one way with our Octopus Card. When we flew onward to Vietnam, took a taxi direct to the airport, right outside the hotel's side entrance, less than $50 USD including toll & tips, shared by 3, curbside to curbside. Not sure if we really care about saving $5 or $10 USD by choosing to take our chances in an UBer for the 40 minutes ride.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked my local sources, retirees that live in HK about their views - Uber is essentially operating in the grey market's shadow. Local police, most definitely, consider this ride-sharing platform's services illegal (a rather traditional view adopted and in place for decades vis-a-vis licensed, metered red taxi) and has been cracking down, running sting operations to go after those competing for customers at the airport.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uber-tech-hongkong/uber-raises-hong-kong-fares-amid-legal-tangles-idUSKCN1B10EO

The risks for the traveler going to the airport or cruise terminal, where time is critical and delays are not good, is that the police recently stopped Uber cars with riders on their way to catch their flights at HKIA ... the rests, you can imagine, while they question the driver and the passengers, verified identity card info and put the driver/vehicle "out of service" on the side of the roadway, forcing those to find alternate means of transport to reach the destination, apparently at great risk of missing their departing flights.

Fares might be cheaper, the ride in a newer & nicer sedan, and for ordering the Black, a boxy minivan with up to 8 seats meant that 6 or 7 can travel together, possibly fitting all their luggage as well if they pack smartly - the risks, whether one wish to take the chance with the delay en route.

Arriving into Kai Tak or HKIA and then staying in town, or just getting around - I suppose the risk is reasonable to take. Always buckle up, by law in HK, all riders, front AND backseats must buckle up in their safety belts.

The other risks, is, whether Uber is fully insured as a car service in the event of an accident with injuries; and, medical bills for the unfortunate riders - should the insurancce company refused to cover or pay up ... check with Uber first about their coverage claims, just to be clear.

Drivers in HK are known to follow very, very, very closely - essentially, tailgating & stopping with a foot of the other vehicle's bumpers - it is a bit un-nerving to ride in the backseat, until you get used to it, coming from the US.

Last time we flew into HK, 3 of us just took the Cityflyer's A21 bus to Nathan Road for our hotel, less than $5 USD p/p one way with our Octopus Card. When we flew onward to Vietnam, took a taxi direct to the airport, right outside the hotel's side entrance, less than $50 USD including toll & tips, shared by 3, curbside to curbside. Not sure if we really care about saving $5 or $10 USD by choosing to take our chances in an UBer for the 40 minutes ride.

Great advice.

There are so many choices to get to the airport.

We disembarked Celebrity Millenium last Sunday (18th. March 18), long line for taxis, but it is organised and controlled, took 20 minutes to get into our taxi (inside the terminal we were asked where we wanted to go, we were given a map with the address in Chinese and the aproximate cost HK $120). Then off ot Kowloon Station and Airport Express (cost HK $111), checked in our luggage (next time we saw it was in Munich), then off to the markets (again), we left the carryons in lockers for the day. Then later in the day collected carryons and took the Airport Express to the airport. No pain no hassle.

Hong Kong taxis are cheap and plentiful.