Renting car from Falmouth to drive to Ocho Rios

pokerpro5

We will be going to Falmouth on our cruise, and I see there's not much to do there.

I would like to drive to the Ocho Rios area.

I am a good/aggressive driver. For example, I drove in St. Kitts last year with no issue.

Do you think there would be a problem renting a car in Falmouth and driving to Ocho Rios? Anything I should be aware of?

If there are some decent, cheap tourist travel services which would take me there, I would consider those too, but I don't want to take any organized group tour.

How is the highway between Falmouth and Ocho Rios?

Thanks. I went to the Liberty Tours Jamaica website last week and found it to be a bit gimmicky, so I closed it, figuring the deal would be lousy.

I e-mailed one guy recommended out here (I won't name him) and he quoted me $250, which is more than I wanted to spend. If that's what it will cost, I will take my chances and rent a car.

Can you tell me what you paid Ricardo (before tip)?

Yes - we paid 65 each and that included transportation, entry to the blue hole and our lunch at Scotchies. We had some in our group that didn't want to do the blue hole and their fee was just 50 total. It really was one of the best excursions we've ever been on. You can tell that he loves his job and his country. He was very dependable and informative. Either way - I hope you have a great time!

• 4 weeks later...

They drive on the left side of the road in Jamaica, and the roads around Falmouth are TERRIBLE! Very narrow and full of deep potholes. I would NOT rent a car in Falmouth (or anywhere in Jamaica for that matter). We did the Hampden Estates Rum Distillery tour with Karandas tours, booked through Excursions In Jamaica. We were picked up at the dock, driven to the estate by an excellent guide who gave us a lot of information about the area, toured the distillery and part of the grounds, had rum punch, jerk chicken for lunch, and a rum sample tasting afterwards. We paid $65pp. I enjoyed the tour, but not the drive up there. If you are prone to motion sickness, don't take a car or bus tour out of Falmouth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Having just been there, I don't think renting a car in Falmouth is a good idea.

Drivers are fairly aggressive, and even worse, there are sometimes issues with cars being broken into in Jamaica when it seems a tourist is driving. You are probably better off just taking one of the private tours from providers like Courtney Taylor, Liberty Tours, or Noel Smith.