Oceania Losing Ground - Just Back From Marina

californiacruiseluvrs

My husband was the cruise critic member. I joined but didn't post. Since I travel a lot I left and just rejoined. Until the bed bug sttack on Marina I really had nothing to say.

I felt this was important enough to note. You may not think so.

It's not that I don't think something like this is important. I'm sure you understand that considering the source is just as much a part of gaining information from these boards as it is to consider the source when getting your world news. It's impossible to discern, with one post (now 2) if you are a troll, or someone with a real-life situation. There is no history, and no way i can check.

We are long time Oceania passengers who have very occasionally gone on another line -- although I have to admit not recently.

We've never encountered bugs of any kind on Oceania. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate someone letting me know that there was a problem. I would think that if the problem were a wide one more people would be complaining. I believe it's already been suggested that perhaps they were brought into the poster's room by a previous occupant.

My sympathies indeed because I wouldn't be happy either in such a situation. When I was 10 years old my family drove down to Mexico for the summer, and I was horribly bitten up by fleas in our Mexico City hotel ... I still remember that agony! Our hotel was across the street from the most expensive hotel in the city ... I wonder if they had fleas as well?

We'll be on Marina ion a couple of months ... I'll be on the lookout! I do have a spray that I purchased at Magellan's that is supposed to deal with bedbugs. Think I'll be sure to bring that along with us in November.

I am still waiting for an answer if they reported the problem to someone on the ship

What deck they were on so if there is indeed BB that the ship can deal with them before the new passengers boarded or if the poster just decided to post on CC & keep quiet onboard

Were they really BB or fleas?

Wonder if they checked their suitcases for hitchhikers that are now in their home

Friends of ours had one of their kids staying with them while their apt was sprayed & all clothes had to be washed & dried in HOT temps to kill the beasties

Not something I would want to deal with

MM: Your guess is wrong and I have the bites to prove it.

LHT28: Unless you are in Guest Relations or Upper Management, I doubt you will receive any further input concerning the matter as the situation is being handled.

To the trolls or wanna be trolls: Think as you wish. Until this situation arose, Oceania was my cruise line of choice.

MM: Your guess is wrong and I have the bites to prove it.

LHT28: Unless you are in Guest Relations or Upper Management, I doubt you will receive any further input concerning the matter as the situation is being handled.

To the trolls or wanna be trolls: Think as you wish. Until this situation arose, Oceania was my cruise line of choice.

So you felt the need to create an account just to tell us about your "bedbug" experience but now you are coy about follow-up?

Like I said - I bet this never happened.

It is good that you contacted someone while on the ship so it could be taken care of.

They can be picked up anywhere & transported onto the ship by unsuspecting passengers

As I said before hope you checked your luggage & clothing to be sure you did not take any home with you

Assuming this tread is still about "Oceania losing ground", I will add my comments about our recent Regal Routes (9/13 to 9/23 if memory serves me correct) cruise. This post is late as we went from Copenhagen to Scotland for several days (ten events) of the Fringe Festival post cruise.

This was my first time on the Marina after 4 cruises on the Riviera and 2 on the Regatta.

I found the crew just as friendly as before. Paul Graham and his asst., John, were friendly and helpful. Paul mentioned he liked beer so we brought him a bottle back from Lubeck and later received a nice hand written thank you note.

Several of the waitresses were friendly including Doda, who appreciated my daily greeting in her native Serbian. Doda also helped me sort out a tip situation with a waitress I thought was from Estonia and was from Belarus with a different name, but similar look.

Finally, many members of the production cast were friendly, especially Veronica Wilt, a talented singer, who was kind on several occasions including inviting me up on stage for the closing show YMCA number ( which she performed way better than me).

As always, Oceania passengers were great. Smart, friendly and humble are the descriptions that come to mind.

Our sole extended Oceania shore excursion was to Lubeck and was excellent. The bus driver even avoided a large delay of the freeway ( autoban?) due to road maintenance with a little back road tour of the immediate countryside.

The General Manager remembered me from a prior cruise.

I do agree that the Social Hostess seemed lacking in one to one friendliness, but Emmanuelle ( Nolan Dean) set the bar high for me.

No bed bugs, Norovirus or other problems.

One other thing I mentioned in my "end of cruise comments" was that Oceania does not seem to have a person to check on events in the towns during port stops. Our last stop was Gothenburg (sp?) Sweden. While wandering down the main street, the wife and I saw a wide side street and decided to go left that way.

After two-three blocks we came to a large open area full of crowds and a big event. Gothenburg was the site of the European show horse (dressage) championships. Most seats were free and there were several show rings. Beautiful horses and Olympic class competition. One lady rode for her country even though both legs were gone just below the knee. A highlight of the port visit, not more than a 20-30 minute walk from where the ship shuttle bus let us off and picked us up and we found it just by luck.

I am also trying Viking this winter, but will be surprised if it is better than Oceania's Riviera and Marina.

What has this post evolved into? I find the food on Oceania to be above the comparable cruise lines, even the Caesar Salad (hold anchovies for me)! I haven't experienced bed bugs, and would report if I did. I did contract the Flu Strain B on my last Oceania cruise (symptoms appeared the last day) but why point fingers??? I don't know if I got this flu from the ship, employees, other passengers or even from my excursions in port. I got the flu, was treated when I got home (oh that was a miserable airplane ride home) and recovered. Yes, I have doctor reports and test results for proof, but so what. Stuff happens. Report so that a stateroom can be "sanitized" but really this is not an example of the ship losing ground.

Now why is Oceania or Marina going downhill? Because they didn't remember your name or smile? Now, let's get back on track.

A

I am also trying Viking this winter, but will be surprised if it is better than Oceania's Riviera and Marina.

Viking Oceans will not be better, already experienced that. It was nice of course, but expect lower standard in restaurants. The one area I thought was better on Viking was the spa area. All things considered, I'll stick with Oceania.

...One other thing I mentioned in my "end of cruise comments" was that Oceania does not seem to have a person to check on events in the towns during port stops. Our last stop was Gothenburg (sp?) Sweden. While wandering down the main street, the wife and I saw a wide side street and decided to go left that way.

After two-three blocks we came to a large open area full of crowds and a big event. Gothenburg was the site of the European show horse (dressage) championships. Most seats were free and there were several show rings. Beautiful horses and Olympic class competition. One lady rode for her country even though both legs were gone just below the knee. A highlight of the port visit, not more than a 20-30 minute walk from where the ship shuttle bus let us off and picked us up and we found it just by luck.

Thank-you for sharing your on-board experience. Great to hear.

Enjoyed reading of your wonderful happenstance horse show. When taking a cruise to new ports I get caught up with having to see all this and all that. Always reminding myself that doing less can be more. Your walk-about is a great example. I love experiences such as that and they are often the longest lasting memories.

What has this post evolved into? I find the food on Oceania to be above the comparable cruise lines, even the Caesar Salad (hold anchovies for me)! I haven't experienced bed bugs, and would report if I did. I did contract the Flu Strain B on my last Oceania cruise (symptoms appeared the last day) but why point fingers??? I don't know if I got this flu from the ship, employees, other passengers or even from my excursions in port. I got the flu, was treated when I got home (oh that was a miserable airplane ride home) and recovered. Yes, I have doctor reports and test results for proof, but so what. Stuff happens. Report so that a stateroom can be "sanitized" but really this is not an example of the ship losing ground.

Now why is Oceania or Marina going downhill? Because they didn't remember your name or smile? Now, let's get back on track.

Great attitude anoldyellowdog.

And your salad will be served, as you like it, momentarily ... :D

hold-the-anchovies.jpg

Here are reasons to think your ship/cruise line is losing ground (from a friend's latest cruise on Viking):

Was told to stay off ship for a day for dry dock repairs at own expense including meals.

Was told they needed to take a "free" city tour after their paid tour because the ship couldn't provide transportation back to ship after the paid tour. Or they could pay for taxi back at own expense.

Was told their airplane return was cancelled but refused to help provide documentation of new air arrangements even though a cruise/air package was purchased through TA. This was a return to Houston BTW.

Ship docked at industrial area (instead of previously published docking information), but didn't provide any shuttle to town. Was told to purchase own taxi if needed.

Food was returned several times by at least 4 different passengers at same table. Hmmm.

Ok, rant over.

But I think the employees smiled a lot.

I am not employee of Oceania or a TA, but just stating my opinion. Hoping service is still as expected. I am booked 2018.

Edited by anoldyelllowdog

my insight with eight cruises on O since the beginning, among all ships but Sirena, is much the same as others: the food is outstanding, the itineraries with many ' off the beaten path ' ports of call not seen by other cruise lines (off to Cuba in Dec.), the smaller but more intimate ship size and the constant top class service compared to the other mainline cruise lines that we also cruise on (cruise every year and can only splurge with the high-end $$ occasionally) but experience just average service with some periodic exceptions. The comment I want to say is that we have found a key difference between the smaller R ships and the newer O ships, most likely due to size and staff/pax ratio, and thus would choose the R ship sailings more so for it's better intimacy (and our name recognition by staff, typically and consistent).

Here are reasons to think your ship/cruise line is losing ground (from a friend's latest cruise on Viking):

Was told to stay off ship for a day for dry dock repairs at own expense including meals.

Was told they needed to take a "free" city tour after their paid tour because the ship couldn't provide transportation back to ship after the paid tour. Or they could pay for taxi back at own expense.

Was told their airplane return was cancelled but refused to help provide documentation of new air arrangements even though a cruise/air package was purchased through TA. This was a return to Houston BTW.

Ship docked at industrial area (instead of previously published docking information), but didn't provide any shuttle to town. Was told to purchase own taxi if needed.

Food was returned several times by at least 4 different passengers at same table. Hmmm.

Ok, rant over.

But I think the employees smiled a lot.

I am not employee of Oceania or a TA, but just stating my opinion. Hoping service is still as expected. I am booked 2018.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, as I suppose it's possible. However, after cruising on Viking Oceans twice now, I haven't experienced or heard of anything close to that happening. Of course, port locations CAN change, and some people CAN love food cooked a certain way or degree while others hate it, and some people can expect a free shuttle, available at all times in all places, no matter what the situation. That doesn't mean the cruise line can make every single cruiser happy 100% of the time. Viking's a great cruise line, and while I don't think it's (overall, all things considered) better than Oceania, I felt the need to let people know that the experience mentioned above was far, far different from my experience.

One thing I DO love about Oceania is that probably 95% of the people we have cruised with on Oceania have been the kind of people who recognize that an occasional hiccup is to be expected. It helps that most are well-traveled and knowlegeable about the cruise experience. They seem to be more flexible, open to change and open to new ports and new experiences compared to many cruisers on other lines I've used.

Edited by roothy123

• 3 weeks later...

I am amazed about the comments in ref. to crew and staff - we have been on all Oceania' ships many times and I have yet to experience an unfriendly or non-cooperating service staff. We believe in courtesy and friendliness and the old rule of "how you shout into the woods and what echo comes back" applies all the time. In ref. to all inclusive: There are lines that offer all sorts of amneties and the choice is yours. There are may choices in the cruise industry!

We are leaving on Oct. 30 for another cruise on the Insignia and I have no doubt I will have a positive experience. It is sad to have so many negative comments on so little substance, and they are simply not correct. We enjoy their ships, crew and staff - excited cruise traveler

I can only echo the above comments about the pleasures of cruising with O.

I do want to respond to a post much earlier in this thread. It had to do with the captain not attending the captain's cocktail party. I was on Marina for the Norway fjord cruise that had the party in question. I know you can spin facts in many ways, including making something innocent sound quite snarky. For this cruise and the one following (on which I also cruised) the captain's cocktail party was scheduled at the same time the ship was getting underway from a port stop.

During the first party, the Cruise Director, Nolan Dean, announced that the captain could not attend as he was on the bridge making sure the ship got safely away from port. The assembled audience responded with an enthusiastic round of applause.

During the second party, about two weeks later, during the Around the British Isles cruise, Paul Grant, the Cruise Director for this cruise, made a similar announcement about the captain's whereabouts, and was also greeted with a spirited round of applause.

You may consider this a small matter, but I felt that Capt. Luca Manzi was being disrespected for no good reason.

I agree with most of the posters, I've cruised 9 times on "O" and enjoyed every cruise. We're trying Regent for the next 3 cruises (just need a change), what I don't like about Regent are Drinks and tours are included. We don't drink and really like to tour on are own. So we're paying for something we don't use. We'll be back on "O" next year-so I'm hoping they stay the same with the Drinks and Tours.

Rick

Greetings from South Beach, ronrick. I read your posts on Regent, as we also switch to O, when it is better for us. We will be returning to Riviera after our next, and third cruise on Explorer in December. Itinerary is a major factor for us, as we prefer to keep flying to a minimum. Vessel size also matters to us. When we lived in NYC, we sailed NCL's Dawn for my birthday a couple of times when it was new because it was 30 minutes from our house, and my birthday is in March. It was the only game in town, and we enjoyed it, and other NCLs. After discovering Oceania's Insignia in 2004, we have been hooked on smaller vessels. We are sailed O six times, as recently as 2015, when we did Insignia's trans Panama Canal LA. /Miami. Every one of these cruises were exceedingly pleasant or we wouldn't keep taking them. The OP's observations do not match mine.

Mary

When I read the negative reviews about O I sometimes wonder if there are two lines named Oceania and I 'm lucky for having cruised on the well run one.

I've also had no difficulty with chatting with officers at all levels and departments. While on board I see them out and about the ship frequently and they have always been willing to chat.

When I read the negative reviews about O I sometimes wonder if there are two lines named Oceania and I 'm lucky for having cruised on the well run one.

I've also had no difficulty with chatting with officers at all levels and departments. While on board I see them out and about the ship frequently and they have always been willing to chat.

CC777,

I count myself lucky, also, for managing to only cruise on the good, well run Oceania.

We like Oceania a lot but do feel that low interaction with passengers by officers around the ship is a valid observation. This is not important to us though, so it does not impact our enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 1

"prepared according to tradition" is true, it it O's tradition to tossed the lettuce and croutons with dressing in a wooden bowl table side. It is not their tradition to make the dressing table side.

I think this presentation phony and silly trying to elevate from MDR to something special. I'd prefer they did not bother with the show. On one cruise we were seated with a first-time couple and they were so taken aback I was almost embarrassed. The dressing is a consistent product which we would not if made by the server (and then there would be another bunch of complaints and debate (is eating raw egg was healthy, no the Worcestershire sauce should be ... etc, etc, etc). I'd also prefer if they made the dressing with anchovy as opposed to tossing a couple of fillets on top. Perhaps, that is the stye somewhere but I had never seen it until O. Not shy on garlic though so it is still tast

Greetings, YoHoHO, from South Beach. About Caesar Salad: Years ago when touring Tijuana, we dined in the hotel where the salad was first created. One reason why it is no longer made in the original manner is it then would be thickened with raw eggs. Ours was. There were no whole anchovies either, It was delicious!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned From Rivera 2 x 8 day back to back. The itinerary & ship was outstanding, but we thought the ship & maintenance was 1st class. But the food choice has been reduced & to have meatballs in the cafe for 4 nights running is a joke!. Thank goodness for the Pasta & Steak etc stations ( very long queues ). Yes we can eat in one of the lovely speciality dining rooms, but we prefer the cafe, where it is informal & the meal does not take 2 hrs +

We also rebook on board for Oceania but not this time!

I was requested to talk to the Concierge manager but ending up seeing the General manager ( absolutely lovely man) about my concerns.

And hey ho next morning, chocolate almond croissants appeared on the breakfast menu!!! Previously rationed to one morning on the 8 day cruise!

Thought we would try Azamara next?

I just returned from the Oceania Marina and posted the following review under "Reviews". I'm also placing here for those who are interested:

I write this from the perspective of a cruiser who has sailed with Oceania 7 times and been on almost 90 cruises. My cabin experience has always been a PH2 or PH3 on deck 10 or 11 on Riviera/Marina and deck 8 on the R Class ships. For reference and point of view purposes I have sailed on most major mass market lines. In recent years my taste has changed and strongly desire smaller ships with less passengers and a more inclusive experience where you are not nickel and dimed. Therefore, lines such as Oceania, Crystal, Seabourn, Azamara, Regent and Silversea have been strongly preferenced.

The condition of the Marina is tip top shape - especially for a ship built in 2011. Food remains outstanding. Cruising on Oceania is more akin to staying in a really nice floating hotel as opposed to a true cruising experience. Highlights not only include the dining room and specialty restaurants, but also tea time and the strings. I also believe Oceania and Regent have the best pool areas at sea.

Unfortunately, I feel strongly that Oceania has lost ground compared to the competition - so much so that we just booked our first Viking Ocean cruise as reviews seem to compare the two lines as apples to apples with Viking Ocean being the better apple. Unfortunately, Oceania's apple has become a bit rotten. Here's why:

Despite a beautiful ship and producing excellent food something is missing on Oceania and has been progressively more noticeable. That "something" is service and absolute lack of personalization. I've noticed on my last few Oceania cruises that the crew does not engage with the passengers and it is clear they are there to do their job and that's it. There is frequent talk in front of guests about "when my contract is up". No similes, no being addressed by name, no remembering preferences. In fact, for the most part no warmth. For example, my wife and I kept bumping into a social hostess we met at a captain's function the second day of the cruise and we would always say hello and try to engage. She would not give us the time of day. A social hostess! Another example -

this one from the top - the captain's cabin was just in front of ours and I would frequently see him in the corridor. It was painful for him to return a simple hello. Staff were regimented and inflexible. All decisions - no matter how minor - had to come from the top. There was no willingness or ability to even make small decisions to cater to guests on their own. For example, at the juice bar I asked for bananas, oranges and ice. The employee said he was only allowed to make what was on the preset menu despite all the ingredients and a blender sitting right in front of him. Sounds picky? Not really when every aspect of any small request is treated this way. The overall lack of flexibility and unfriendliness of the staff is unfortunate. Part of what makes cruising enjoyable is the staff. When the staff is miserable and stupidly rigid it impacts the overall experience. In summary - regarding the staff - they walked around like creatures from the Walking Dead and did not seem happy.

Unless you bought a drink package getting an honest drink is impossible on Oceania. All drinks are measured pours and quite stingy. Even the "doubles" are weak. A double top shelf (i.e. Kettle One or Grey Goose) martini costs north of $22 before tip is included. Bartenders have zero flexibility to think on their own and actually some are worried about their pours because they are "scrutinized" according to one. Remarkably, Celebrity - a mass market line - makes much more honest and better drinks without the measured pour.

Oceania shore excursions are consistently awful. I would not waste your money and instead visit sites such as tours by locals or Viator to arrange your own tours. Not only will you have a more customized experienced and skip out on painful bus journeys, but you will save a ton of money.

As an aside, I think Oceania would benefit from increasing their prices slightly and making drinks all-inclusive. They should get rid of O Life promotions and just make every sailing with included WiFi, beverages, gratuities and lastly not insult guests by requiring tokens for the laundry. Those inclusions coupled with some serious Ritz Carlton style customer service training would potentially put Oceania back in the running.

On all my previous Oceania cruises I booked future cruises. Not on this one. I am done with Oceania for the foreseeable future as I've tried other options and liked them better; hence the danger of trying other things as you might just like them better and change your spending habits. Sorry Oceania - what was once a fabulous product is just fair now when compared to the competition in the market.