New Connection Between NCL and Cruise Critic

jaja

Exactly! It reminds me of Yelp too.

I just prefer to see balanced, both good and bad, reviews on CC. I want the facts before I shell out big bucks for a cruise. Not a huge influx of positive reviews because people think that CC and NCL or whichever cruise line are working together now.

I was surprised to get this email this AM...from NCL suggesting I post a review on Cruise Critic !!!

Very interesting..........

WOM_main_cc_10.24.jpg

Good! :D

With the amount of money NCL spend's week after week hosting Cruise Critic Meet & Greet's they deserve some kind of recognition.

My very recent post cruise survey asked me if I ever heard of cruise critic

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That has been on my post cruise survey for a few years.....but this is the first time I have ever received an email re: posting a review on CC.....

I just prefer to see balanced, both good and bad, reviews on CC. I want the facts before I shell out big bucks for a cruise. Not a huge influx of positive reviews because people think that CC and NCL or whichever cruise line are working together now.

Not sure why there would be an influx of "positive" versus "negative" reviews just because they are working together?What would be the benefit for passengers to all of a sudden want to write a review?

I don’t think you’ll get a “huge influx” of positive reviews. I think what is really needed is more of the “it was pleasant” reviews. It’s easy to find the “everything sucked” reviews, and it’s easy to find the “it was the bestest cruise ever”, but what’s helpful to others are the “parts were really good, parts were annoying” reviews, and there should be more of those.

I always throw out the extremely negative and extremely positive and focus on the middle. There aren’t always a lot of reviews in the middle.

Also, if you want the facts, user-created content sites aren’t always the best source. There are people who can’t figure out how to get a FAQ answered from the cruise line’s site, but they can figure out how to come here and bitch.

I have read reviews from people on the same cruise as I was, and we were obviously on two different ships. That’s why I ignore the highs and the lows (well, I read the lows for comic relief.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t think you’ll get a “huge influx” of positive reviews. I think what is really needed is more of the “it was pleasant” reviews. It’s easy to find the “everything sucked” reviews, and it’s easy to find the “it was the bestest cruise ever”, but what’s helpful to others are the “parts were really good, parts were annoying” reviews, and there should be more of those.

I always throw out the extremely negative and extremely positive and focus on the middle. There aren’t always a lot of reviews in the middle.

Also, if you want the facts, user-created content sites aren’t always the best source. There are people who can’t figure out how to get a FAQ answered from the cruise line’s site, but they can figure out how to come here and bitch.

I have read reviews from people on the same cruise as I was, and we were obviously on two different ships. That’s why I ignore the highs and the lows (well, I read the lows for comic relief.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. And I generally take all reviews with a grain of salt. If you read between the lines and you know what's important to you personally or not, you can get a pretty good idea of whether their review is going to affect your cruise. You also see if someone is a chronic complainer who is high maintenance or if their complaints come from true issues that are worth considering. I rarely take a negative review seriously if the entire review is a long venting session with barely anything positive....no cruise can be that bad.

It's shameless because it's obviously asking for passengers to post only their happy experiences on CC.

That's like stacking the odds for more good reviews than bad ones. I guarantee the passengers complaining to customer service aren't being encouraged to post on CC.

But whatever, that's just my opinion.

I do social media management for a company and I can tell you that the vast majority of customers never post a review, and if you somehow encourage them to do so, they will post a positive one.

Spontaneous reviews tend to be critical. We see a lot of first time posters on Facebook Groups and in forums like CC that log on to simply post their bad experiences. Those of us "fully engaged" will write about our experiences in any case, and those outraged about something will channel their anger into first time negative posts.

But most people enjoy their cruises, and return. Social media distorts that view into wildly positive and horribly negative reviews. Getting more people to review your product gives a more accurate assessment.

I prefer to see a mix that is actually representative of customer experience. Artificially adjusting or encouraging reviews on either side just to make them balanced would be deceptive at best.

Again nothing in that ad even slightly hints at requesting only positive reviews.

Since I don't read reviews, I can't comment on whether they are all retained on these boards.