American Cruise Lines

BonnieGreen

This company does many trips for Smithsonian Journeys. That says a great deal.

We had a trip with them on Queen of the West in 2013 (you can look up my review on CC) and were not pleased.

But that said I am wiling to give this company another trip in 2014 but not on the Queen of the West.

This company does many trips for Smithsonian Journeys. That says a great deal.

We had a trip with them on Queen of the West in 2013 (you can look up my review on CC) and were not pleased.

But that said I am wiling to give this company another trip in 2014 but not on the Queen of the West.

Thanks Penny. I did read some reviews for this line regarding the steam boats on the big rivers...they were not kind. But I did see reviews for the smaller boats that do the coastal rivers like the Independence and the American Star that seemed much better and truer to the glossy brochure. Bonnie

Thanks Penny. I did read some reviews for this line regarding the steam boats on the big rivers...they were not kind. But I did see reviews for the smaller boats that do the coastal rivers like the Independence and the American Star that seemed much better and truer to the glossy brochure. Bonnie

I have traveled often with Smithsonian Journeys (yes the museum) and I can swear they have very high standards. The fact that Smithsonian has booked several trips with American Cruise Lines year after year says a great deal.

My issues with Queen of the West may have been dealt with with 2013 remodeling.

I love small boat traveling especially the fact that you waste no time at all getting on and off the boats in ports. No lines! No fuss!

Fair warning: it is generally an older crowd. But then I'm no spring chicken.

I have traveled often with Smithsonian Journeys (yes the museum) and I can swear they have very high standards. The fact that Smithsonian has booked several trips with American Cruise Lines year after year says a great deal.

My issues with Queen of the West may have been dealt with with 2013 remodeling.

I love small boat traveling especially the fact that you waste no time at all getting on and off the boats in ports. No lines! No fuss!

Fair warning: it is generally an older crowd. But then I'm no spring chicken.

Penny: We're not springs chickens either! :) I did get the impression that's it's an older crowd. I think we're going to give it a try. Thanks, Bonnie

Penny: We're not springs chickens either! :) I did get the impression that's it's an older crowd. I think we're going to give it a try. Thanks, Bonnie

Clothing is casual on American Cruise Lines, adapted for local weather conditions. Lots of beige, khaki and sensible shoes.

I strongly recommend non-slip deck shoes (I wear SAS brand Liberty shoes). and clothes of course.

Husband took a blazer and wore it once. Your own trip may vary a bit but telephone ACL office to get more info if worried about it.

Have a ball!

Bonnie: Before you book with American Cruise Lines make sure its the same company. I was on Queen of the West this past August and I would NOT go with them again. The cruise itself was great and the cabin was comfortable but the dining room and food was terrible and the bottom line is the trip was nowhere near what I paid for it! Is it possible that the line you're looking for is American Queen steamship Line? They do the same cruises but appear to be much better organized and actually give value for the price paid. Check them out before you book with ACL....I also wrote a review and I wrote a letter to the CEO, Mr. Robertson on August 27 when we returned home. I mention the date because I have still not had a response of any kind from him.

Bonnie: Before you book with American Cruise Lines make sure its the same company. I was on Queen of the West this past August and I would NOT go with them again. The cruise itself was great and the cabin was comfortable but the dining room and food was terrible and the bottom line is the trip was nowhere near what I paid for it! Is it possible that the line you're looking for is American Queen steamship Line? They do the same cruises but appear to be much better organized and actually give value for the price paid. Check them out before you book with ACL....I also wrote a review and I wrote a letter to the CEO, Mr. Robertson on August 27 when we returned home. I mention the date because I have still not had a response of any kind from him.

Hydrokitty: I am aware that there are two different lines: American Cruise Lines and American Queen Line. American Queen Line does not do the small coastal rivers in smaller ships, only the "paddle" steam ships on the bigger rivers. I am thinking of doing the Mississippi River with them another time. I did read reviews that the American Cruise Line's steam ships do have issues like you said. But the smaller ships like the American Star seems to get good reviews as far as cabin size, dining and staff. My travel agent said the few times she booked with them she didn't have any problems and have heard nothing negative about the American Star.

Thanks for your input! Bonnie

Archived