Harvest Caye -Can I Go Diving ?

sd200044

Need to get some questioned answered about Harvest Caye. We have always cruised to Roatan with Carnival in the past. (Mahogany Bay) I normally book a Scuba Diving excursion off ship with a local dive resort (Barefoot Divers) - Will I still be able to do this with porting on Harvest Caye? Can I get a Taxi from Harvest Caye to a different part of the Island? What can you tell me about Harvest Caye?

Harvest Caye replaces Belize City, not Roatan. You will still dock in Roatan and have full access to the island.

Dang - I completely got mixed up on my questions. Thanks for the catch - You are correct and the original question I needed answered was can I find another provided to get me to a dive site, which apparently is not going to happen with Harvest Caye. As for Roatan, if I understand you - I will still be able to get a taxi to other parts of the island for Diving. Thanks - sorry about the confusion

• 7 months later...

Hi there!

So you are saying there is NO WAY to arrange for transportation to Placencia? I thought I read there was a ferry? I also was told that Placencia has good diving. I hope this info is correct as I will also be there in November and wanted to dive....

Thanks for the feedback all! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there!

So you are saying there is NO WAY to arrange for transportation to Placencia? I thought I read there was a ferry? I also was told that Placencia has good diving. I hope this info is correct as I will also be there in November and wanted to dive....

Thanks for the feedback all! :-)

There is probably some law that prevents us from leaving the island. I am going to find out how far off the coast we have to swim to catch up with a dive boat so we can actually enjoy this stop. I will be there the first part of the November and I hope I can dive there or I will just chill on the ship.

I have read that as of May 17 there is a ferry to Placencia. The cost is $20.00 and it carries 50 passengers at a time. When you buy the pass it will give you your return time and you are limited to 3 hours there. They sell the passes at the shore excursion desk on the ship.

I have read that as of May 17 there is a ferry to Placencia. The cost is $20.00 and it carries 50 passengers at a time. When you buy the pass it will give you your return time and you are limited to 3 hours there. They sell the passes at the shore excursion desk on the ship.

We too want to do some diving while stopped in Belize. The Belgians made such an uproar on the inability to access tourist whose stop switched from Belize City to Harvest Caye that the government renegotiated with NCL and there is now ferry trips to and from the Caye. Four trips off: 8, 9, 10, 11 & five back on: 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30 & 2:30. I too understand that there is a limit on the amount of time off the caye.

As an avid diver I have been communicating with a dive shop in Placentia to arrange an excursion since, as you know, there is NO diving or Snorkeling at the Caye. It just doesn't seem like there is enough time to go on a decent dive/snorkel trip.

In addition to the timing issue I just read a post from a local in Placenta. She said, "Few Belgium's in Belize. Pls stay on the caye. Norwegian boat traffic to the mainland has killed too many manatees thus far. Don't increase the damage your vacation has on Belize. Stay right there on the caye pls."

For me that request from her sealed the deal. I am sorely disappointed but will probably not travel to Placentia.

Keith