Taxi in Yokohama Port

EUROPEU

Please let me know if it is easy at the end of a cruise to get a taxi in Yokohama port to Haneda airport?

Thank you

Due to the excellent public transit systems in Japan, many city dwellers in Japan do not own cars.

How do they get around?

Subways, trains, and taxis.

Metropolitan Tokyo - which includes Yokohama - has around 42 million inhabitants. If you guessed that 42 million people without cars would need a lot of taxis, you would be correct.

You will find many, many taxis at Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. And they will be much nicer than the taxis you see in Europe.

Note:

Tokyo is officially an administrative zone and not a city - much like the District of Columbia in America.

Yokohama (4 million) is officially the largest city in Japan.

Taxi for 2 to Haneda would cost you between US$ 100 and 120.

Nihon-Odori subway station is a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal.

Nihon-Odori to Yokohama station is about US$ 1.50 per person (10 minutes ride).

Yokohama Station to Hamamatsu Station is about US$ 5.00 per person (20 minutes ride).

Hamamatsu station (Monorail train) to Haneda is about US$ 6.00 per person (15 minutes ride).

You could also take a taxi from the cruise terminal to one of the big Yokohama Hotels. Those hotels all have transfer buses that go to Haneda. You could buy the tickets from the hotel concierge.

we are looking at taking the Keihin Kyuko Limousine Bus (round trip from Haneda) to Yokohama City Airport Terminal YCAT). The cost of round trip is about USD 11 per person and then taking a taxi to our hotel or from the port to YCAT which should not be much since it's right in Yokohama. The reason we decided not to take the train is that we didn't want to transfer trains and cart our luggage which if I understand correctly you have to do when going from Haneda to Yokohama.

The Keikyu Line has a ticket office near where you exit customer / immigration and you catch the number 7 bus on the first floor (arrival I believe is on the 2nd floor). There are a number of videos on Youtube that show you how to do this.

Maybe Bruce Muzz can confirm this, he has a wealth of knowledge about Japan.

Bruce, I realize this is off topic for this thread but I would appreciate your incite once again.

A while back on the Princess board you quoted the statistics for the average age of cruisers on HAL vs. Princess cruisers.

The posting was old & has been removed.

Can you please tell us once again what the average age is for each cruise line.

Bruce, I realize this is off topic for this thread but I would appreciate your incite once again.

A while back on the Princess board you quoted the statistics for the average age of cruisers on HAL vs. Princess cruisers.

The posting was old & has been removed.

Can you please tell us once again what the average age is for each cruise line.

That was quite a while back.

At the time, the average HAL cruiser was 57 years old and the average Princess cruiser was 58.

Both numbers were a bit surprising.

Those numbers may have changed by now, but I doubt they have changed very much.

we are looking at taking the Keihin Kyuko Limousine Bus (round trip from Haneda) to Yokohama City Airport Terminal YCAT). The cost of round trip is about USD 11 per person and then taking a taxi to our hotel or from the port to YCAT which should not be much since it's right in Yokohama. The reason we decided not to take the train is that we didn't want to transfer trains and cart our luggage which if I understand correctly you have to do when going from Haneda to Yokohama.

The Keikyu Line has a ticket office near where you exit customer / immigration and you catch the number 7 bus on the first floor (arrival I believe is on the 2nd floor). There are a number of videos on Youtube that show you how to do this.

Maybe Bruce Muzz can confirm this, he has a wealth of knowledge about Japan.

Yes, this is available.

But you can also catch an airport bus at hotels that are closer to Osanbashi Terminal; thus a shorter and less expensive taxi ride.

You can also catch a bus from Haneda airport (Stop 8, every 10 mins or so, 720Y) to Osanbashi Pier. But beware that you need to know where to get off (listen to the announcements or read the display inside the bus) and press the button. And then you need to walk a block or so (same direction the bus was going) then turn right and another block or so, then toil up the hill to the boarding level. It's a hassle.

Tinetable: http://hnd-bus.com/airport/route/yama****apark.html#timetable

Or you can take the Keikyu Airport Express train from Haneda to Yokoyama (every 10 mins or so, 480Y) with no changes, about 10 stops. Then a taxi, less than $20. http://www.hyperdia.com/

Or you can take the limmo bus to YCAT (which is adjacent to Yokohama station), then a taxi.

Or you can do as Bruce Muzz suggests and take the limmo bus to a local hotel, then a taxi. The hotel (e.g., Intercontinental) can be closer to the port than Yokohama Station/YCAT and hence a cheaper taxi (but a less frequent bus).

Or you can transfer at Yokohama station to the subway and get off at Nihon Odori and walk a few blocks. Beware there are several exits and getting oriented is not trivial.

And you can do any of these in reverse.

Edited by someotherguy

Bruce Muzz and Someotherguy

Your help or comments would be appreciated. We were thinking of going to YCAT when we arrive to check the place out. We will be staying at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel Yokohama Koen to be close to Chinatown and it's not far from other attractions and the port. Returning to the US, we have a late afternoon flight and wanted to store our luggage at YCAT and then go shopping at Tokyu Hands and Takashima before we have to check in at Haneds for our flight back to the US.

Any advice on this approach? Thanks.

That makes sense: you've done your research. Tokyu Hands is right by YCAT and there's left luggage at YCAT Lobby 2 and coin-lockers at Lobby 3. http://www.ycat.co.jp/en/information/floormap/2nd_lobby.php

You could take a taxi or subway to the hotel. Japanese hotels tend to be strict on checkin times, but they'll store your bags if you arrive early.

Thank gyou

Thank Both for tour useful help

Did this on Saturday... taxi from port to Yokohama station 1800 yen c$18 (waited seconds before we were in one). Direct taxi from train to Haneda airport - super easy and will save you a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Did this on Saturday... taxi from port to Yokohama station 1800 yen c$18 (waited seconds before we were in one). Direct taxi from train to Haneda airport - super easy and will save you a fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much was the taxi from Yokohama station to Haneda airport please. ??

A taxi from Osanbashi Terminal to Narita Airport will cost you somewhere between US$225 and 300.

A taxi from Osanbashi Terminal to Yokohama Station costs less than US$20.

Narita Express train from Yokohama Station to Narita Airport is about US$40 per person.

Narita Express will get you to Narita Airport faster than a taxi in most cases.

I'm planning on heading from Osanbashi to Narita via taxi and Airport Limobus and although the YCAT website gives walking directions from Yokohama station, can I safely assume that taxis are able to drop off at YCAT/Yokohama Sky Building and not just at Yokohama station? And do Japanese taxis charge a fee for each piece of luggage over a certain amount per person? Thanks for your advice!

It looks like this article I wrote for my FB page would be helpful for this discussion, so I'll paste it below:

Relying on my previous experience as a "Destination Expert" on Japanese ports for a major cruise line, I have written a few articles to address common concerns. I hope you will find the info in this post helpful.

Common Mistakes Made by First-Time Cruisers to Japan –

Part I: Transportation to/from Airport

Many people do not take the time to really understand where the airport is in relation to their hotel and the port, and their wallets suffer the consequences. Spending money on a taxi from Narita to Tokyo or from Kansai International to Kyoto or Osaka is like pouring money down the drain.

Taxis is Japan are safe and reliable but small and EXPENSIVE! A good general rule of thumb is about ¥100/minute or ~US$1/minute. For the amount you save on taxi fare, you can have a very nice, authentic gourmet meal.

By far the most economical and comfortable way to get to/from the airport is to use the airport limousine bus system. These comfy, spacious coaches have plenty of storage underneath for large suitcases and provide door to door service for select hotels.

Read all about the fares, timetables and drop-off points by clicking on the relevant links below:

Tokyo/Yokohama Area

• NARITA (NRT):

o https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/index

• HANEDA (HND):

o http://hnd-bus.com/airport/

o https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/haneda/index

Kansai (Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto/Nara) Area

• KANSAI INTERNATIONAL (KIX):

o http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index3.html

o http://www.kate.co.jp/en/bestchoice/

• ITAMI/OSAKA INTERNATIONAL (ITM):

o http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index2.html

Yes, there are train services such as the Narita Express. However, at the very least, these will require you to navigate across at least one large station (10-15 min. walk) and possibly change trains. The elevator could be a long walk on the other end of the platform, etc. So if you have large suitcases and don’t want to start your vacation off tired, stressed and sore, you are better off using the airport limousine bus instead of the train.

Thanks for all the information, it's very much appreciated! :)

I do have one more question - how many people and luggage can a regular taxi fit? We are 3 adults with possibly 4-5 large luggage cases and 3 carry-on cases. If we can't all fit, I assume we need to ask for a van but are these easy to find or would we need to call for one in advance? We'll be needing a taxi from Osanbashi and possibly from YCAT (I assume there's a taxi stand there?)

And is there an extra fee for a taxi van? Thanks in advance!

Edited by melia