I Did It!

croozelyfe

I am recently widowed, it's been about a month and a half since I lost my best friend and soulmate. I am still very much in the throes of grief and it all seems very surreal, still. Before he passed, my husband mentioned briefly that he wanted to do a Mediterranean cruise. I immediately started looking into a trip for us to take on or around his 50th birthday (January 2019). Unfortunately, about 2 weeks after having this conversation, he passed away unexpectedly.

Anyway, after reading about the brave folks on this board who solo cruise often, today I took the plunge and booked a Mediterranean West cruise on the NCL Epic, scheduled for October 2018. It's not quite around the time of his birthday, it's a few months before - but I think it's OK. I have never traveled solo, let alone taken a cruise without him so I don't know what to expect. Hopefully by that time I won't be in a fog of grief and will be able to enjoy myself. We traveled together a lot, but he was definitely more the world traveler than myself. He would definitely want me to take this trip and have a good time. I just hope that I don't chicken out at the last minute!

I am now obsessed with researching each port and the ship itself. Only 415 days to go!

My Condolences to you........wishing you all the best.

As for taking the cruise.......your post sounds like you are positive person:D......I have been sailing solo for 14 years

and absolutely love it:).........doing what I want, when I want (or don't want)........and it is very easy to meet people

on a cruise. And in my experiences, I have found most cruisers quite friendly.

I do hope you take the cruise........I bet you will love it and from what you said, I bet your husband would be looking down

and smiling:)

Good for you for taking the plunge! All the researching and planning is half the enjoyment of the cruise for me, and you will have lots of time to do that.

Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your grief at losing your soulmate, though I can certainly identify with what it's like to deal with your world suddenly being turned upside down, having had my marriage break up with little warning about 10 years ago. It took me several years to be ready to get back to cruising and take my first solo cruise--it was great, and I hope your solo cruise will be too!

Good for you.

Shortly before my husband died he wistfully said to me "I suppose you'll still take that river cruise in Europe without me." I responded that I probably would take the trip we'd started planning with him tagging along in my heart. I haven't taken that specific trip yet, but have taken others and have more planned. It's working great.

BTW - he goes in my heart and I wear a heart, made from his wedding band and my diamonds.

I am so sorry for your loss....it is never easy.

Huge congrats on booking your first solo cruise!! Solo cruising can be a great vacation and getaway.

NCL is a good first solo cruise choice, IMHO.

The research is a lot of fun (for me anyways); if you have questions there are many of us here who have done solo cruising for a bit and we may be able to help you with solo cruise questions.

I hope you love it as much as I do.

Take care. :)

Edited by Cruisercl
typo

Condolences and congratulations at the same time. I lost my wife 2 1/2 years ago and haven't been able to do what you have. Enjoy your cruise.

Condolences to you as well.......maybe her post will help you take that step (if it is something you want to do);.

• 1 month later...