Trying to Decide? Cancel or Not Cancel??

kcgirl

WE are booked on Summit to Depart San Jan 13, 2018. It was a great deal less than $1000 each for a Balcony with Drink package and $300 cabin credit. The Itinerary is what sold us. Going out of San Juan (nice warm port in January) St Croix, St Martin, Dominica, Grenada, Barbados only 1 sea day on the last day. Well as everyone knows San Juan is a mess as is St Croix and St Martin. Dominica is heavily damaged too. My final payment is not until Oct 31 so I have a month to see how the clean up and repairs progress. Of course the Travel agent has informed me they work fast getting these ports back in shape as it is their main income and all should be fine by January. Well maybe but maybe it would be better to cancel and book something else? I know all will be working hard to get things going. We all know that even with no warning you can miss a port because of weather or choppy seas but going in KNOWING everything is a mess makes me ponder..I don't want added sea days or islands I have been to numerous times. I know that you all out there don't have crystal balls to gaze into to tell me what is best but I would like to hear your educated opinions. WE have been on tons of cruises and god willing will go on tons more but I am feeling skeptical about the conditions and may just get the money refunded to spend later on. Also this was to be our first Celebrity cruise so feeling disappointed about all that has come to be with the Hurricanes but realize very small worry to re-book a vacation compared to the people who have had their lives turned upside down. Comments/thoughts welcomed!

I vote that you need to cancel and rebook something else, based on your post alone.

These islands will not be as 'beautiful' as you think in any sense and to gamble with your happiness about these ports is not worth it even if they are ready to accept ships.

Some of us would not mind and never think about not going, then some of us have already cancelled and re-booked something else due to this.

Since you have given some detailed thought to this and it is your vacation, regardless of the deal, cancel and re-book something else. It appears you will be happier for doing so.

bon voyage

Depends on what you intend to do or see at those itineraries that suffered damages. We like the beach in the Caribbean and I think everything will be cleaned out by Jan. Personally, I won't cancel the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I vote that you need to cancel and rebook something else, based on your post alone.

bon voyage

Agree.

On the other hand we recently made final payment on our November cruise round trip from San Juan, and will go wherever the ship takes us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a personal note, we are on a cruise at the end of October and we don’t know exactly where we will go. To us, it doesn’t matter. We are on the cruise to be with one another and the destination is secondary. No matter where we go or don’t go, my husband and I will have a great time. A drinks package will not do any harm...

On the other hand...I once said that it won’t matter if it rains every day...and it did...and it mattered. So I will go away now.

Cancel!!!!!

By asking you apparently want others to help you justify not canceling. You already are having negative thoughts and going on something that you aren’t happy about will not be enjoyable.

Book something else that gives you what you want.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Have you checked the Celebrity website - they have info on the itinerary changes for a lot of upcoming cruises - including ours in December. Maybe they haven't done January yet??

Anyway, the cruise will take you to other places IF the ports on your schedule are not ready yet to receive passengers. Are you really committed to the itinerary? What is your purpose for the cruise? Relax and enjoy the drink package if what I say, but then again I've been on a lot of cruises and for the most part the itinerary is secondary to relaxing and enjoying the ship and each other and anyone traveling with us.

Even if you think you are committed to a certain port - I went on a cruise last year on Oceania and one of the ports I was looks so forward to seeing - Montenegro - due to bad weather the captain decided it was unsafe to go there - so they rerouted us to Dubrovnik and that turned out to be the highlight of our cruise - we so enjoyed the port and experience.....so keep any open mind.

It sounds to me like the ports matter to you, so I would cancel. Yes the ship may be able to dock or tender at some of those ports but there is no way that they are going to be the same. For me personally, I don't care about ports, and wherever they take me I will be fine. But your post sounds like you do not feel that way, and with the significant damage that has been done, even if you can get to some of these ports they will not be the same.

For me, I don't really care much where a ship goes. I believe there is something to be learned and enjoyed in every port. Every cruise is an adventure. We have a couple cruises booked soon.. Their itineraries probably will change. Oh well. I'm going anyway.

If specific ports do make a big difference in your enjoyment, perhaps you might consider cancelling. If the cruise itself is what you enjoy, stick it out and see what surprises come your way.

I would probably book something else if seeing those particular islands that you haven't been to before if of importance to you ... sounds like it is. While they might open for cruise ship docking / visitors, there will most likely be things that are closed down and services will probably not be up to par as they were before these storms.

I've not seen this mentioned anywhere as of yet, but it kind of stands to reason that with all the standing water, this would be prime breeding grounds for some potentially hazardous diseases. I guess time will tell ... hopefully, I am way off base.

We went to Hawaii when many establishments in Maui were boarded up and they were closing down the International Market on Oahu ... all this during the last recession. There were still places that were open but seeing everything closed/closing down was just depressing! Everything does seem to have recovered financially there now and would be a lot more fun to visit now. If I'd have known, I probably would have rescheduled that vacation time to when it was more enjoyable.

We are Sailing Costa Deliziosa Jan 13, 2018 out of Ft Lauderdale on a 10 day Western Caribbean Cruise. The ports are:

Key West - Florida,

George Town - Grand Cayman,

Roatan (Isla Roatan) - Bay Islands - Honduras,

Belize City - Belize,

Costa Maya (Mahahual) - Mexico,

Cozumel, Mexico.

As far as I can tell, I think only Key west will probably change.

Today, we got an email from Costa stating that Caribbean cruise port changes due to the hurricanes will be announced tomorrow. I think all Carnival corp cruise lines will be making the same announcement.

I thought I would share our experience back in 2006 after Hurricane Wilma (Oct 25, 2005). It was a Western Caribbean cruise (HAL Westerdam) in January 2006. Our ports were adjusted and a new port added: Santo Tomas de Castilla which at that time, was a commercial port and not a Cruise port. They set up temporary Vendor/souvenir shelters and excursions. It ended up being our favorite port (if not the most dangerous at the time) It now is a regular port on some Itineraries. Some of the ports (including Key West) were not fully operational but great efforts had been made to accommodate the the cruise passenger industry. Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island) had not re-opened yet so another port was added. The Cruise line was very good about updating us before the cruise. I think they wait to assess the damage, how long it will be to rebuild, and adjust the itinerary accordingly. I think we were notified in late November or early December of the changes.

So I would check and see what other Itineraries Crystal has around that time and otherwise wait for them to tell you what changes they are making. Cruising is an adventure and these next 6-12 mos will be interesting! And I know our cruise will be amazing - Wherever we go!! Happy Sailing!

If the airport, hotel and the cruise ship in San Juan is up and running then go. The cruise might go to places that you have not been too. We have 3 cruises booked for the Caribbean. Our next cruise in Nov is 14 night cruise on Reflection. The ship is still stopping in Key West on Nov 4th. The rest of the stops were not hit with storms. Our March cruise is a b2b Easter/Western cruise. As we live in the Seattle area. I really dont want to fly to Florida for a 7 night cruise. I got a email from the b&b that we stay at in Key West. The b&b has water, power and cable. So I might cancel one of the cruises and spend that money staying in Key West.

When we first cruised we were far more destination focused. I can remember on an early cruise being so disappointed that a port was cancelled owing to bad weather. Now it wouldn't worry me.

I think the OP has answered his own question. He chose his cruise based on itinerary and even if each of his ports are 'up and running' he will not see them at their best.

My suggestion would be to simply transfer the booking over for a year and enjoy looking forward to it and then book something you are more comfortable with for this January....

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great vacation.

Even if you think you are committed to a certain port - I went on a cruise last year on Oceania and one of the ports I was looks so forward to seeing - Montenegro - due to bad weather the captain decided it was unsafe to go there - so they rerouted us to Dubrovnik and that turned out to be the highlight of our cruise - we so enjoyed the port and experience.....so keep any open mind.

Very different to the Caribbean leaving out of San Juan though.

If you have doubts (and they are valid ones) I'd cancel.

Phil

Sounds like you booked your cruise with this specific itinerary in mind and would be disappointed with visits to islands you know well or additional sea days.

If the situation is not clear by your final payment date, in your shoes I'd be thinking of cancelling.

A certain amount of fortune telling is required. The situation currently might be different in some significant ways in a few months time.

I personally would feel very ill at ease visiting certain islands at the moment , when locals struggling to get basic provisions to live it wouldn't sit comfortably with me to be moored in a port in a relatively luxurious ship moaning that the lobster isn't what it used to be.

We were looking to book a Caribbean cruise for after Christmas now, because of the recent events we are not now - and will probably head towards Asia for a land based holiday.

WE are booked on Summit to Depart San Jan 13, 2018. It was a great deal less than $1000 each for a Balcony with Drink package and $300 cabin credit. The Itinerary is what sold us. Going out of San Juan (nice warm port in January) St Croix, St Martin, Dominica, Grenada, Barbados only 1 sea day on the last day. Well as everyone knows San Juan is a mess as is St Croix and St Martin. Dominica is heavily damaged too. My final payment is not until Oct 31 so I have a month to see how the clean up and repairs progress. Of course the Travel agent has informed me they work fast getting these ports back in shape as it is their main income and all should be fine by January. Well maybe but maybe it would be better to cancel and book something else? I know all will be working hard to get things going. We all know that even with no warning you can miss a port because of weather or choppy seas but going in KNOWING everything is a mess makes me ponder..I don't want added sea days or islands I have been to numerous times. I know that you all out there don't have crystal balls to gaze into to tell me what is best but I would like to hear your educated opinions. WE have been on tons of cruises and god willing will go on tons more but I am feeling skeptical about the conditions and may just get the money refunded to spend later on. Also this was to be our first Celebrity cruise so feeling disappointed about all that has come to be with the Hurricanes but realize very small worry to re-book a vacation compared to the people who have had their lives turned upside down. Comments/thoughts welcomed!

I think the wise posters here have given you good advice. If seeing the ports on the original itinerary in all their beauty is critical to you, then you're better off canceling. Otherwise, you can think of it as an adventure.

I actually have a similar dilemma. I'm on the November 4 sailing of the Summit that originally had the same itinerary as yours. It's currently still a go, so they think the port and the airport will be able to handle us. St. Croix, St. Maarten, and Dominica have already been replaced for us. The dilemma is that I have another cruise (the Carnival Fascination) scheduled for late January that covers the same area. Originally they only had two shared ports (St. Maarten and Barbados). Now I'm likely to have at least four unless St. Thomas and/or St. Maarten come back online. I'm starting to think that that would be too much of the same thing too soon. I'd like to take one of them, but not the other. So I'll have to see how it all plays out.

After reading your post it's clear to me that you answered your own question and should cancel. This was an exceptionally bad hurricane season with categories 4 and 5 sweeping through the Caribbean and Florida. I don't think that they will be able to recover as fast as they might have in the past which your TA has made reference to. I have only been on the Summit and this isn't a ship that I would want to be on with extra sea days and nothing to do or see at the ports of call. It's a nice ship but lacks activities and food and entertainment venues that the newer ships have. In my opinion this is the reason that it sails Southern Caribbean itineraries and Bermuda. The itineraries are the selling point. I never advocate for the mega 6000 passenger ships but since the Caribbean is literally a mess right now, I would be willing to book a cruise on one of those and have the ship be my destination.

Key West is already accepting cruise ships now.

The mayor of Key West said that the town will be ready for the Fantasy Fest. It is held the week prior to Halloween and is a big money maker (price gouger).

I am surprised that any cruises after that would not stop there. I am on the Equinox that was suppose to stop there Nov 5 and it is still listed being replaced with “the breathtaking port of Falmouth Jamaica”. Celebrity replaced beautiful with breathtaking so I guess it can be taken any way you want. It does take my breath away because it is a filthy abyss. Key West even before any clean up is cleaner and safer. Hopefully we will be able to return to the original itinerary.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Maybe I am too focused on cruise 'value' but my question would be 'where are you going to find a balcony with drink package and OBC for under 2000 bucks to make a winter escape. If I had paid a premium price to see certain ports and they had changed I would certainly cancel but this will hopefully be a fun winter getaway no matter where the ship goes.

Thanks to all for your insight and you all make valid points.

Right now I am am 50/50. Yes I booked for the itinerary but that being said as most of you all know that when you have 15 cruises under your belt you have learned to go with the flow, accept change in itineraries and YES enjoy and make the best of it because not to forget we are on a cruise! I always do my little happy dance the second I cross over the threshold into the ship. WE have found that mostly in the Caribbean we do beach days some shopping and maybe one tour. AT this point we have discovered that the Caribbean to us is not tour intensive as say Alaska or even the Med. You all have made valid points. Yes it is true its pretty hard to find a warm spot for a week in January with food,drinks an entertainment for the price we paid. WE live in the midwest and I "need' to get the heck out of town for a week to escape the cold and for my mental health! Right now i will sit tight since I have until end of Oct and browse the other cruises maybe even for next winter as was suggested and figure out someplace else to hang for a warm week this winter. THanks to all of you that made a comment and gave me your opinions very much appreciated. I will keep you posted on how this plays out. Anyone who is just now seeing this feel free to post your comments as well. Thanks :)

The lowest inside without drink package or OBC is currently about the same as you paid. I would definitely go, While ports are a bit of a crapshoot at this point there is always a chance that they may substitute some unusual new ports. I did love your original itinerary but starting in San Juan does add some options for the cruise line.

If you booked through X tact them and feel around to see if they have some additional incentives they might add to keep you on this cruise although it does look well sold at this point.

When the icy winds are howling in KC in January I think you are going to wish you had gone (or see if you can transfer the booking and maybe we can take over your res ;p.

JMHO