Status Match Question

nealstuber

At the risk of offending anyone who earned that status with MSC through MSC, I’m going to ask this question anyway.

We want very much to try the line especially since they offer a one time status match.

We’re Platinum with Carnival and one cruise shy of Diamond with Royal. I understand that Diamond with Royal gets you Black on MSC, but I’m not sure about how my Carnival Status would Transfer.

Would it be best for us to take one more RCCL cruise to make Diamond before booking and applying for a status match with MSC?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the risk of offending anyone who earned that status with MSC through MSC, I’m going to ask this question anyway.

We want very much to try the line especially since they offer a one time status match.

We’re Platinum with Carnival and one cruise shy of Diamond with Royal. I understand that Diamond with Royal gets you Black on MSC, but I’m not sure about how my Carnival Status would Transfer.

Would it be best for us to take one more RCCL cruise to make Diamond before booking and applying for a status match with MSC?

Your Carnival status will be matched to GOLD on MSC.

if you intend to keep cruising with MSC then it makes sense to get the Black card by going diamond on RCI

if you are just testing the waters with MSC then I'm not sure it's worth the expense of a cruise on RCI to get the Black perks.

Pete

Black card the hard way but I'm not offended (used to be; but not any more)

Your Carnival status will be matched to GOLD on MSC.

if you intend to keep cruising with MSC then it makes sense to get the Black card by going diamond on RCI

if you are just testing the waters with MSC then I'm not sure it's worth the expense of a cruise on RCI to get the Black perks.

Pete

Black card the hard way but I'm not offended (used to be; but not any more)

Thanks Pete, not sure if we’re testing the waters or taking a bath. The things that seem to bother a lot of people about MSC would not bother us, and there is a lot that has caught our interest (including price and/or the opportunity to upscale our experience for what we are used to paying). If we like the water temperature, we’ll be back.

Obviously, MSC could stop their matching policy at any time so we won’t wait too long!

Thanks Pete, not sure if we’re testing the waters or taking a bath. The things that seem to bother a lot of people about MSC would not bother us, and there is a lot that has caught our interest (including price and/or the opportunity to upscale our experience for what we are used to paying). If we like the water temperature, we’ll be back. And taking one more RCCL cruise first is not the toughest road to hoe.

Obviously, MSC could stop their matching policy at any time so we won’t wait too long!

Thanks Pete, not sure if we’re testing the waters or taking a bath. The things that seem to bother a lot of people about MSC would not bother us, and there is a lot that has caught our interest (including price and/or the opportunity to upscale our experience for what we are used to paying). If we like the water temperature, we’ll be back.

When you get the status match it is valid for 3 years btw.

Having just done the status match from D+ to Black I don’t think the perks are worth it. Try it at your level and see if you like it (we didn’t) .

But if they do like it they are stuck with the lower level, you can only do the status match once.

Also the Black perks are nice, priority boarding, a free specialty dinner for 2, late departure at end of cruise, bottle of fizz and chocolate dipped strawberries, what’s not to like!

Is it D or D+ on RCCL that gets you black? I get the notion that I could book MSC now and apply for status match after making D.

Both D and D+ get black,

Julie

First timer on MSC

Sailing MSC Divina this weekend and got my confirmation of status match. I'm Diamond on RCL and received Black status. Traveling with a friend who is Platinum on Carnival and she got Gold status.

She received a free cruise through UR Comped so this is a first for both of us.

Will report back to let you know how it worked out...looking forward to trying a new line:D

Having just done the status match from D+ to Black I don’t think the perks are worth it. Try it at your level and see if you like it (we didn’t) .

What didn't you like about it? I don't know of any other cruise line that will give you such a status like this. Do you?

What didn't you like about it? I don't know of any other cruise line that will give you such a status like this. Do you?

It was MSC we didn’t like, and probably won’t go again. The perks for black are not worth a lot, in my opinion.

Priority boarding - we were all kept in the terminal for several hours, so all boarded together.

Stay late on embarkation day - and do what? Let the cabin steward get on with his job.

Chocolate strawberries - not that special

Complimentary meal in speciality restaurant - not the regular menu but a tasting menu, every one left hungry.

Tote bag -

Bottle of fizz - very nice

Chocolate ship - again nice

Dressing gown and slippers - nice

For us the negatives of the ship out way those perks.

It was MSC we didn’t like, and probably won’t go again. The perks for black are not worth a lot, in my opinion.

Priority boarding - we were all kept in the terminal for several hours, so all boarded together.

Stay late on embarkation day - and do what? Let the cabin steward get on with his job.

Chocolate strawberries - not that special

Complimentary meal in speciality restaurant - not the regular menu but a tasting menu, every one left hungry.

Tote bag -

Bottle of fizz - very nice

Chocolate ship - again nice

Dressing gown and slippers - nice

For us the negatives of the ship out way those perks.

Thanks for your input. What were the negatives of the ship?

The reason I asked is we were on the Divina in Feb 2017 and are Black, Diamond+ on RCI, Elite+ on Celebrity and Elite on Princess.

It took us a long time and many cruises to get there to obtain any perks. Now we are finding that perks are not the main reason to cruise with any cruise line. In fact, we are sort of tired of Celebrity as they are changing like all the rest. Celebrity is totally over priced in their Specialty Restaurants.

Our opinion and experience on Divina was different than yours. We were among the first to board and on the ship within minutes of arrival. Specialty Restaurants were very good. Four meals (2 meals each) for free and anything on the SR menu, not a tasting menu. Never left hungry.

Don't understand what you mean by Stay late on ship. We got off when we wanted.

In fact we are going back on Divina Nov 2017 and Feb 2018.

Oh yes, we still do RCI, NCL, Princess, Celebrity. Did Princess, Celebrity and MSC in Feb 2017. Will do MSC, RCI and NCL in Nov 2017.

There is no one cruise line that is the best or the worst. It is all up to what each individual likes. Food very subjective. Just got off of the Anthem in Sep 2017. Food in MDR was poor. Chops and Wonderland was very good.

Again, thanks for your opinion. Just enjoy each and every cruise. Happy Cruising!!

Thanks for your input. What were the negatives of the ship?

The reason I asked is we were on the Divina in Feb 2017 and are Black, Diamond+ on RCI, Elite+ on Celebrity and Elite on Princess.

It took us a long time and many cruises to get there to obtain any perks. Now we are finding that perks are not the main reason to cruise with any cruise line. In fact, we are sort of tired of Celebrity as they are changing like all the rest. Celebrity is totally over priced in their Specialty Restaurants.

Our opinion and experience on Divina was different than yours. We were among the first to board and on the ship within minutes of arrival. Specialty Restaurants were very good. Four meals (2 meals each) for free and anything on the SR menu, not a tasting menu. Never left hungry.

Don't understand what you mean by Stay late on ship. We got off when we wanted.

In fact we are going back on Divina Nov 2017 and Feb 2018.

Oh yes, we still do RCI, NCL, Princess, Celebrity. Did Princess, Celebrity and MSC in Feb 2017. Will do MSC, RCI and NCL in Nov 2017.

There is no one cruise line that is the best or the worst. It is all up to what each individual likes. Food very subjective. Just got off of the Anthem in Sep 2017. Food in MDR was poor. Chops and Wonderland was very good.

Again, thanks for your opinion. Just enjoy each and every cruise. Happy Cruising!!

Food in main dining room was poor, poor, poor. Look at all the threads about poor food on Preziosa. Announcements in 7 languages. People embarking and disembarking at every port, meant people with suitcases in the way , and as they did a life boat drill for new arrivals every port day, people running through lounges at 8.00 at night in life jackets when we are trying to have a nice pre dinner drink. Very, very slow getting off and back on in port. One day docked at 10.00 and couldn’t get off until 12.30, the lines were so long. Buffett very busy especially at breakfast. We gave up on that one.

Staying 2 hours after disembarkation time is a perk supposedly.

I agree not all lines are the same, which is why we tried a different one, but it’s not for us.

However we did enjoy our cruise as we were with 4 friends and that made all the difference.

I think this is a perk in itself, unlike most lines where you have to cruise for a number of nights etc.

For a first timer on MSC on a FREE cruise, it was an added bonus.:D:D:D

Food in main dining room was poor, poor, poor. Look at all the threads about poor food on Preziosa. Announcements in 7 languages. People embarking and disembarking at every port, meant people with suitcases in the way , and as they did a life boat drill for new arrivals every port day, people running through lounges at 8.00 at night in life jackets when we are trying to have a nice pre dinner drink. Very, very slow getting off and back on in port. One day docked at 10.00 and couldn’t get off until 12.30, the lines were so long. Buffett very busy especially at breakfast. We gave up on that one.

I agree not all lines are the same, which is why we tried a different one, but it’s not for us.

However we did enjoy our cruise as we were with 4 friends and that made all the difference.

It’s not like that in Divina. You embark and disembark in Miami.

Granted the European cruises may be different.

Fully understand your opinion. Food is very subjective and that is the way we felt about the Anthem OTS last month. Prime Rib was a total disaster even when they re-fired it. Shrimp (4 baby ones) over risotto as a main dish, so small. The shrimp cocktail was bigger in size and size of shrimp. Food took so long to get to the table and then it was cold. We had a table for two, so no excuse.

Did they speak in English? Glad they did because that is the only language I understand. Maybe if I didn't, then I would like to hear another language that I knew since I paid for the cruise, too. LOL

Check other forums on here and you can hear the same complaints about the lines, getting on and off the ship and the buffet.

You are correct, not all cruise lines are for everyone.

Enjoy your next cruise!

I just did my Status Match from Carnival and booked our first MSC cruise. Its really the European Itinerary that intrigued me - as this ship goes to Morocco. and my status match got me an extra discount of a really low fare. Although sometimes I heard mixed reviews as well - I think really just think of the ship as a mode of transport. a Rail card or flights to visit all those countries will be just as much except they are giving you a bed and food. :)

On our cruise on MSC we only status matched my husband. Since we bounce around from cruise line to cruise line we really didn't have a lot of status on any one line, so he was status matched to Gold.

However, we are now Elite on Celebrity. I understand he cannot status match because he did it before..... however, what about me? Can I do it.? I have the one cruise on MSC.

We will probably do Yacht Club as we did before, so the perks weren't that much more than we received (and will receive) anyway.

On our cruise on MSC we only status matched my husband. Since we bounce around from cruise line to cruise line we really didn't have a lot of status on any one line, so he was status matched to Gold.

However, we are now Elite on Celebrity. I understand he cannot status match because he did it before..... however, what about me? Can I do it.? I have the one cruise on MSC.

We will probably do Yacht Club as we did before, so the perks weren't that much more than we received (and will receive) anyway.

Yes

Ok so we status matched and it gave us Gold on MSC which is just fine for us. Here is my question if we like MSC and continue cruising with them do we build from there ( adding points to it) or do we build up from our first cruise with them. I hope someone understood what I mean.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Ok so we status matched and it gave us Gold on MSC which is just fine for us. Here is my question if we like MSC and continue cruising with them do we build from there ( adding points to it) or do we build up from our first cruise with them. I hope someone understood what I mean.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Yes, you build from there. They give you however many points are required for gold and any points you earn are added on to that.

Julie

except:-

1) the complementary meal for two

2) the free gift

3) mustn't forget the chocolate ship

4) complementary bottle of bubbly

plus a few smaller privileges

Pete