Epic Western Mediterranean (Rome) Sept. 27-Oct. 4 Review

gottacruisemore

Before I start here is all the tour info.

Transfer from airport - hotel - pier - airport: Rolando's Airport Transfer (airportshuttleroma.com)

Rome: First Entry Sistine Chapel—Dark Rome (darkrome.com)

Half day tour—My best Tour (mybesttour.com)

Florence: Driver to Florence—All Tuscany Florence Tour (alltuscany.com)

Walking tour—Florence Custom Tours (florencecustomtours.com)

Naples: Amalfi Coast-Sorrento, Positano, and Ravello—Joe Banana Limos (joebananalimos.net)

We flew nonstop from Chicago to Rome on a Sunday evening. We ended up having about a 2 hour delay, but other than that the flight was uneventful (as it should be). The people at Rolando's had sent a photo of the meeting spot, however, i think it bears mentioning that once you get your luggage you have to go out the doors to the meeting spot. There is also a bit of a walk to the parking garage where most, if not all, the transportation companies have to park. Then it was on to Rome and this is where we got our first glimpse of Italian driving...YEESH!

I stayed at Hotel Abruzzi because I wanted to be next to the Pantheon. Our room was ready, so we were able to freshen up and go out for a bite to eat. The room size was decent and I didn't feel cramped. The hotel had free wifi that worked very well. They also had free breakfast at a restaurant across the square, it was served buffet style. The elevator was on the second level and super tiny, but I was expecting that.

enhanceenhanceenhanceenhanceenhance

The view from room 406 was everything I dreamed of and then some. I really enjoyed listening to the sounds of the musicians and the people in the piazza.

enhance

Save

Save

It had been a long day so we went back to the hotel. I walked around a bit and realized that immediately around the corner was Venchi, which had very good gelato, and Tazza D'Oro, supposedly one of the best coffee shops in Rome. One of the things I found interesting about Rome was every other street seemed like a dark alley, but was filled with little hidden gems. I can't wait to go back.

I should also mention that I had booked the Colosseum Underground Evening Tour with Arena Floor and Roman Forum Highlights with Dark Rome, but I didn't make it. I didn't want to rush through dinner and I booking I knew I was trying to squeeze too much in. I also missed my Borghese entrance time, but more on that later.

enhance

Heart of Chocolate and Tiramisu Gelato with the coffee shop in the background. It was directly across the street from Venchi.

enhance

That's the shortest I would ever see this line.

Save

Save

Edited by gottacruisemore

Tuesday, September 26

We got up early and took an Uber to Cafe Vaticano to meet our Dark Rome first entry tour. The tour was for the Sistine Chapel, Saint Peter's Basilica and the crypt. We weren't interested in the crypt and cut out early to meet our second guide of the day. The getting checked in for the tour was annoying, you were told to meet at the bottom of the stairs across from the museum entrance, once I got down the stairs I was told I had to get in line which was back up the stairs. After making it back down the stairs you are paired with a guide who is you guessed it, pretty much back up the stairs.

There was a short line to get in and go through security and then we went up more stairs and i was pleasantly surprised that we had to walk through of few of the museum galleries to reach the chapel.

enhanceenhance

enhanceenhance

Save

enhance

Save

Be prepared for some stairs, although some areas did have an elevator. Also, once you make it to the Basilica the bathrooms were back outside and down the stairs.

The Sistine Chapel was smaller than I expected, but still beautiful. We also went down the Bramante staircase which was cool. The outside was set up for the Papal audience and the line was getting long for entrance to the Vatican.

enhanceenhanceenhanceenhance

After we left the Vatican we met our guide, Mattia, from My Best Tour right outside the stone walls. We had a fun and fact filled tour with Mattia. One of the first stops was Campo de Fiori where we had some fresh pressed juice. He got us to all the most common tourist spots and a few hidden gems that we would have never seen otherwise, like Chiesa di Sant'Ig****o di Loyola. Mattia even showed us a trick to take wonderful photos of its beautiful frescoed ceiling.

enhanceenhanceenhanceenhance

enhanceenhance

Save

Save

The tour ended at the Pantheon, which was basically in front of our hotel. We decided to go to lunch at Hostaria De’ Pastini Pizzeria. We really enjoyed the food, so much so that we went back for dinner. There was a long wait as they were trying to accommodate a large group. We were offered a glass of Prosecco while we waited. After putting our glasses with the dirty ones I saw the host pick them up, top 'em off, and give them to the newcomers. Needless to say we left. It was such a disappointment as the food was very good and I don't think they were aware that their host/hawker was recycling the stemware.

Stuffed zucchini flowers

enhance

enhance

Mushroom risotto

enhance

lasagna

enhance

Wednesday, September 27

I had planned to go to the Borghese Gallery this morning, but decided to just wander around and see if I can get to some spots while there were no crowds. I headed towards Trevi Fountain first, since the day before it was so crowded I couldn't even get a photo let alone toss a coin.

I passed Il Tempio di Adriano on the way

enhance

Trevi was blissfully uncrowded

enhance

enhance

Then onto Piazza Navona and the fountain of the four rivers

enhanceenhance

enhance