The New Social Media package...

uneamie

Months ago we heard that they will roll out a new Social Media Package on the Breakaway and the other mega ships as a trial run. It will come with a charge of course but would be cheaper than buying wifi. This will allow you unlimited connection to Facebook and a few others. I am wondering if that program has been offered yet or has it been scratched? This would be perfect for me on our January 19th cruise to communicate with my son who will be at home without having to buy wifi minutes.

Yes, it was on Escape last week. It was 100 free minutes of Social Media only. So, Facebook/Twitter/Insta etc. Keep in mind, when you are on Facebook and you wanted to open a story or a link or something from someone sharing a post, it would not allow you to do that. I did however use Facebook messenger successfully. Not as fast as you might expect on land, but does the job at sea. There is a one-time $3.95 set up charged to the stateroom for use.

The log in page for the wi-fi has a really nice ticker so you know exactly to the second how much time you have left. Was a nice little feature for the $3.95 as opposed to the packages or $.99/min.

Yes, it was on Escape last week. It was 100 free minutes of Social Media only. So, Facebook/Twitter/Insta etc. Keep in mind, when you are on Facebook and you wanted to open a story or a link or something from someone sharing a post, it would not allow you to do that. I did however use Facebook messenger successfully. Not as fast as you might expect on land, but does the job at sea. There is a one-time $3.95 set up charged to the stateroom for use.

The log in page for the wi-fi has a really nice ticker so you know exactly to the second how much time you have left. Was a nice little feature for the $3.95 as opposed to the packages or $.99/min.

Awesome...I hope it's on the Breakaway as well. Thanks for the response.

$3.95 one time for 100 minutes for the entire cruise. That wouldn't last but a couple days for my wife. How much is it per minute after the 100, or do you then just have to pay for a regular wifi package?

Yes, once your 100 minutes is out it is out- they do it by stateroom so I don't believe you can get 100 and then wife get 100. It's 100 minutes for one device, one-time $3.95.

Don't quote me on the pricing, but I'm fairly certain it was $.99/min or you could get packages, 30 minutes was $20 i believe (good for all internet, not just social media) and they had a package for 250 minutes, but don't recall the pricing.

Unfortunately, we spent too much time learning about this. My wife had her cell phone stolen off an excursion bus through NCL in Cozumel while we were at a quick stop so we had to contact people at home to get the phone shut off and new one re-ordered. Calling US from the ship was 4.99/min so we decided doing via Facebook messages was a better idea.

Are you able to purchase the WiFi plans in advance? None are showing up yet for my 12/30/17 sailing.

For our upcoming Nov cruises - I see 3 "Internet Packages" available: 100 min, 250 min and unlimited. They range in price from about $70 to $200 USD for a 7 day cruise.

Yes, once your 100 minutes is out it is out- they do it by stateroom so I don't believe you can get 100 and then wife get 100. It's 100 minutes for one device, one-time $3.95.

Don't quote me on the pricing, but I'm fairly certain it was $.99/min or you could get packages, 30 minutes was $20 i believe (good for all internet, not just social media) and they had a package for 250 minutes, but don't recall the pricing.

Unfortunately, we spent too much time learning about this. My wife had her cell phone stolen off an excursion bus through NCL in Cozumel while we were at a quick stop so we had to contact people at home to get the phone shut off and new one re-ordered. Calling US from the ship was 4.99/min so we decided doing via Facebook messages was a better idea.

Actually the "Facebook" 100 minutes for $3.95 is a new and separate offer. Not sure if it's offered on the Breakaway yet but it now offered on the Escape. What you are talking about is the usual "wifi minutes" that is a whole different pricing.

Breakaway 12/3 (12 day) is offering only these 3 choices:

300MB "palate cleanser" $59 plus lose a turn

1000MB "Gone in 5 gulps" $125 plus a sudden surge in SPAM in your email equal to 100MB per day

Unlimited "still can't do Yotube, VOIP or message each other on the ship" $360 plus one semester tuition at NYU

Carnival is light years ahead of NCL as far as internet packages go. Their social media package is $4 a day and their most expensive premium plan (which does cover skype and video streaming) is $14.88 per day with their standard internet being $10.25 and a bit slower than premium. I would just like to stay in touch here and there. It's not a big deal for a standard cruise where you are in port multiple days since I have t-mobile but on a TA with 7 sea days in a row it would be great to have something reasonably priced and functional.

Carnival is light years ahead of NCL as far as internet packages go. Their social media package is $4 a day and their most expensive premium plan (which does cover skype and video streaming) is $14.88 per day with their standard internet being $10.25 and a bit slower than premium. I would just like to stay in touch here and there. It's not a big deal for a standard cruise where you are in port multiple days since I have t-mobile but on a TA with 7 sea days in a row it would be great to have something reasonably priced and functional.
I was on the Carnival Vista in July and I loved their social media package. I was able to use WhatsApp and communicate with my family back home. I too have T-Mobile so when I am at a port I have service. Wishing the NCL Escape has a similar package for my Dec trip without minute limitations.

Last summer when I was on the Getaway I was able to receive text messages but each reply was .50 cents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app