Breakaway first timer

frenchlover

Been a RC cruiser for many years, tried NCL for the first time...never again.

Went on the Breakaway from Manhattan for a 7 day Bahamas cruise.

First off, the continous vibration at the Garden Cafe. The utensils were shaking on the table plus when you

were sitting it was like siting on a vibrator seat, it was ridiculous! I asked the the attendants if this was normal,

they said that sometimes it is worse!!

We never saw our room attendant, except on the first day. Whenever we passed the other attendants going to our

room, they never smiled, not an hello, nothing. We had to re-register our entertainment package.

And bought a watch on a supposedly sale. Found out through Amazon, we paid 30$ more than we should have AND the watch has a defect!! Nope, its back to Royal Carribean for us:mad:

Sorry you had those difficulties. How was the rest if the cruise? I hope you didn't allow those things to ruin the entire trip.

The vibrations will vary from sailing to sailing. We have not experienced it on either of our 2 Breakaway sailings but did have some on the Gem and Spirit in the past. Also on the Freedom if the seas and Celebrity Summit last year, but did not notice it much last month on the Summit. Every sailing is different

As for the room attendent My question would be was the room taken care of properly? I have had room attendants that have done a great, but we never saw them. And some that you constantly see but the room is a bit well attended to. If the former is the case, who cares. If they did not take care of the room properly than I would have complained to the hotel director.

For the watch I would assume they have taken care if the defect, if not call customer service immediately as they usually have a time frame for defective replacement. As to the price. I would never buy on the ship without checking the price first to verify the deal. You may have saved 30% on the ship but another vendor on Amazon discounts 50%. Typical mark up is usually about cost plus 100 to 150% minus any discounts.

I can find plenty of things I prefer on other lines. But also things I prefer about NCL.

Hope your future cruises are better no matter which lines you choose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I can go on and on about NCL Hotel and Dining staff, simply, RCI contracts are much better than NCL, better working conditions and it shows in the staff. It’s getting worse instead of better. Amazingly NCL management seems to not believe it’s a factor. We have sailed NCL 7 Times and just got off Enchantment and sailing Indy next month. While there’s many things I love about BA, and we sail Haven every year, next year on Escape, the crew and staff on RCI is much much better. They are happier due to better working Conditions, better management, more appreciation for the employees (remember during Maria RC took their employees out of harms way on Enchantment free of charge and supported the relief efforts for weeks with three ships), and better compensation and contracts. I can tell you that in Spring she goes in to dry dock and the vibration issue will go away, so those sailing Baltic’s can look forward to a smooth Garden Cafe. The MX scheduled will address the issue.

If they could just improve morale and get that happiness back that the crew had under previous management and Mr. Sheehan, it would be a no brainer. It was much better 5 years ago, morale that is.

We enjoy both lines. For different reasons on each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First off, the continous vibration at the Garden Cafe. The utensils were shaking on the table plus when you

were sitting it was like siting on a vibrator seat, it was ridiculous! I asked the the attendants if this was normal,

We never saw our room attendant, except on the first day. Whenever we passed the other attendants going to our

room, they never smiled, not an hello, nothing. We had to re-register our entertainment package.

And bought a watch on a supposedly sale. Found out through Amazon, we paid 30$ more than we should have AND the watch has a defect!! Nope, its back to Royal Carribean for us:mad:

LMAO you are not liking NCL due to a watch as one of the reasons. Seriously? Who made you buy it?

I would say if the room was picked up and well kept by the room steward, not seeing him/her is no issue

Vibration....dude it is a vehicle....floating in water. Could be any number of reasons. Can happen on any cruiseliner

Sorry you had those difficulties. How was the rest if the cruise? I hope you didn't allow those things to ruin the entire trip.

The vibrations will vary from sailing to sailing. We have not experienced it on either of our 2 Breakaway sailings but did have some on the Gem and Spirit in the past. Also on the Freedom if the seas and Celebrity Summit last year, but did not notice it much last month on the Summit. Every sailing is different

As for the room attendent My question would be was the room taken care of properly? I have had room attendants that have done a great, but we never saw them. And some that you constantly see but the room is a bit well attended to. If the former is the case, who cares. If they did not take care of the room properly than I would have complained to the hotel director.

For the watch I would assume they have taken care if the defect, if not call customer service immediately as they usually have a time frame for defective replacement. As to the price. I would never buy on the ship without checking the price first to verify the deal. You may have saved 30% on the ship but another vendor on Amazon discounts 50%. Typical mark up is usually about cost plus 100 to 150% minus any discounts.

I can find plenty of things I prefer on other lines. But also things I prefer about NCL.

Hope your future cruises are better no matter which lines you choose.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I have never felt any vibrations on Oasis, Allure, Independance and Quantum. Our rooms were very well taken care of, no problem. However would it hurt to smile from time to time or even to say hello. As for the watch you are totally right, i should have checked the price, my fault there I totally agree. But since the watch WAS sold on the ship well I have to consider this part of my cruise experience. NCL just has to make sure that all sales are legit.

Thanks for your input.

LMAO you are not liking NCL due to a watch as one of the reasons. Seriously? Who made you buy it?

I would say if the room was picked up and well kept by the room steward, not seeing him/her is no issue

Vibration....dude it is a vehicle....floating in water. Could be any number of reasons. Can happen on any cruiseliner

Omg, first off my not liking the cruise solely because of the watch incident is false. It IS part of it.

Listen....dude, it is not normal. These are luxury liners, not canoes. They have onboard dampers supposedly to prevent this amount of vibration. Plus according to the Cafe stewards, the vibration was ongoing all the time.

Thanks for the input

I have never felt any vibrations on Oasis, Allure, Independance and Quantum. Our rooms were very well taken care of, no problem. However would it hurt to smile from time to time or even to say hello. As for the watch you are totally right, i should have checked the price, my fault there I totally agree. But since the watch WAS sold on the ship well I have to consider this part of my cruise experience. NCL just has to make sure that all sales are legit.

Thanks for your input.

Hopefully they will take care of the defective watch for you.

Another poster mentioned the vibration being known problem that will be fixed next dry dock. Will see in 2 weeks how much difference we feel from prior 2 trips. I agree with you that a simple smile is not to much to ask.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your input.

I'm so sorry that someone who is probably on the 13th hour of a 12 hour shift and hasn't had a day off in 4 months didn't take the time to tell you "hello" and smile at you. That must have totally ruined your cruise.

Well good for you; I am sure RCI will welcome you back and NCL will not miss you. I am sorry you were disappointed but what good did that rant really do? as for the watch, are you saying you have never purchased anything and later found it cheaper somewhere else? You do realize the gift shops, like the spa are contracted and not part of NCL don't you or do you?

As for your cabin steward, some are better than others, some are not friendly but do a decent job and some are out right fantastic. Seems you got one, that no matter wasn't among the friendly. We have had that experience a few times. In fact we had it once on Celebrity once on RCI and certainly a few times on NCL. It isn't a positive experience but it doesn't affect our cruise one way or the other unless they do not get the cabin clean. We were on the Epic last year, similar experience. When we saw her she was always in the hall visiting with other stewards.

I do always wonder and I am not alone, why someone would never bother to post or ask qustions on CC but can post. Frist time posters with nothing but negatives make me wonder.

SailBreakaway: it is interesting you know so much about the working conditions and contracts of the two lines. Where did you find this out? I will add, if things are so bad why are so many of the NCL crew re-signing contracts over and over. Many we have spoken with have been with line 10 or more years. We always take time to talk with and get to know the crew as best we can. We did not find the service on the Breakaway bad at all. Some of it was outstanding, other so so, just like most lines, but usually very friendly.

Edited by newmexicoNita

21 NCL cruises 5 times on the Breakaway. Just off the Breakaway last week, and I will agree that the vibrations were extremely intense. First time ever our bed felt like it had a vibration machine attached!! Horrible at the buffet too. The level of vibrations changed, but never went away, and again was downright horrible at times. Don't know what changed, but something needs to be done to lessen it.

Safe sailing

Sailed with both lines multiple times and haven’t noticed any difference in friendliness of staff.

Also don’t remember any vibration on BA. Sorry it spoiled you cruise.

Entertainment was pretty similar on BA and Anthem (except for great show in two70)

21 NCL cruises 5 times on the Breakaway. Just off the Breakaway last week, and I will agree that the vibrations were extremely intense. First time ever our bed felt like it had a vibration machine attached!! Horrible at the buffet too. The level of vibrations changed, but never went away, and again was downright horrible at times. Don't know what changed, but something needs to be done to lessen it.

Safe sailing

How far towards aft was your cabin? We are next to the last elevator near the aft. I may or may not appreciate the vibrations depending on how bad they are.

First off, the continuous vibration at the Garden Cafe. The utensils were shaking on the table plus when you

were sitting it was like sitting on a vibrator seat, it was ridiculous!

:mad:

I love a "good vibration" !!! :D

We are sailing BA, two weeks from today and I have to admit we are very concerned with the newly reported vibration issue! We have sailed on other Carnival and RC ships with this same issue and have found it quite disturbing, especially in our cabin and dining rooms. We are booked in a Mid-Ship Balcony on deck 11... How bad is it really? Please ease my mind... somebody/anybody???

21 NCL cruises 5 times on the Breakaway. Just off the Breakaway last week, and I will agree that the vibrations were extremely intense. First time ever our bed felt like it had a vibration machine attached!! Safe sailing

I really wish I had known about the vibrating bed - I would have booked the cruise for our honeymoon ... ;):D

We are sailing BA, two weeks from today and I have to admit we are very concerned with the newly reported vibration issue! We have sailed on other Carnival and RC ships with this same issue and have found it quite disturbing, especially in our cabin and dining rooms. We are booked in a Mid-Ship Balcony on deck 11... How bad is it really? Please ease my mind... somebody/anybody???

i believe the thrusters that cause the vibration are in the back of the ship...thus the aft vibration in garden cafe. mid ship is a great location to feel the least amount of movement.

BA IS ALSO DUE FOR DRYDOCK ..i think in march or april..

dont worry..have a little faith! u will be fine:)

Thanks for your input.

NCL didn’t sell you the watch, a separate vendor did. Would you but a watch in a hotel gift shop and expect it to cost more on amazon?

i believe the thrusters that cause the vibration are in the back of the ship...thus the aft vibration in garden cafe. mid ship is a great location to feel the least amount of movement.

BA IS ALSO DUE FOR DRYDOCK ..i think in march or april..

dont worry..have a little faith! u will be fine:)

Thank you for talking me off of the ledge!!! We once stayed in an aft balcony on RC's Brilliance of the Seas and it was horrible, between the shoot and the constant vibration I thought I would lose my mind! We don't spend a lot of time in our room and my DH ( previously a sailor in the US Navy) seems to think that with the size of the ship we will be fine. I am super excited about this cruise and don't believe one silly post about some vibration will make a difference!!!

I just returned from my cruise on the Breakaway today & there was NO vibration in the Garden Cafe Buffet at any time I was in there and none in our room on Deck 10 right near the Aft elevators. The only time we felt noticeable vibrations was at dinner one night at Cagney's, but it didn't by any means have a negative impact on the meal.

Also, we found most of the staff, waiters and room stewards to be pleasant. We saw our room stewardess every morning and she always greeted us.

Nothing to worry about for any future Breakaway cruisers.