Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

To all our readers in Florence's path, please be safe. To all with pets and Service Dogs please be aware of their safety and surroundings. Take care!

Our weather here is finally cooling down with a promise of another heat wave with high winds this weekend.......I say ENOUGH!!!! :rolleyes:

Most travel done with a dog is usually done by airline and the paperwork can be given in a timely fashion. The Immigration officials are aware that you are traveling by cruise ship and depending on the length of your cruise, the paperwork can be given either earlier or later. They will allow for these time constraints and special allowances will be made for you.

I go to my Vet a week before I cruise, receive the necessary signed paperwork within that week, and make my copies. I can be on the ship anywhere from 10 days to one month and find that Immigration, Agricultural and all other officials are very understanding and easy to deal with in respect to the documents needed [even if the dates are a bit too early or too late.]

Sometimes the officers onboard the ship will become insistent on bringing my dog to meet the necessary officials in the port when we first enter and that means a very early morning phone call to my cabin, and depending on how well I slept the night before, I may ask them to send someone to collect Horton, and his paperwork, and take him for his inspection themselves. I find these early morning disturbances very annoying, at times! The officials want to make sure that the dog onboard is healthy, has the necessary immunizations and is well behaved.

The Port Authorities have the right to NOT allow anyone to disembark at any foreign port if they are displeased by you or your dogs behavior and/or paperwork. That means that YOU AND YOUR DOG can literally hold up everyone's leaving the ship to go on their excursions if they're displeased with you. It's important that your paperwork/dog and you be in good stead!

With a 97 year old MIL living in England, we are diligent about keeping Nico’s U.K. issued Pet Passport up to date. Add in frequent trips to the USA to go to our second home, I’m more likely to forget my passport than Nico’s documentation!

Cunard responded to my inquiry by saying:

“To board the ship your Service Animal must have current vaccinations. Records confirming the vaccination status need to be provided to the Cunard Access Office 10 business days prior to your departure. You are advised to carry the original immunization records with you in case they are required at any port-of-call. Failure to do so may result in the denial of boarding at 100% cancellation penalty. If you do not have the proper documentation and proof of vaccinations for your service animal, or if there are local quarantine requirements, your Service Animal will be denied the right to leave the ship. If your Service Animal is denied the right to leave the ship you will be required to remain onboard. The crew and staff are not permitted to take over care of Service Animals.”

Piece of Cake!

Getting into any UK Island/Country is difficult. Including Bahamas and Barbados. www.pettravel.com is very helpful with necessary docs

Actually, getting into the U.K. is now easier than ever!

I’ve made the trip with my service dogs seven times. I thought the paperwork for the old system - titer test, 6month wait - was more straight forward. The new requirements need both a government vet AND your local vet fill out different parts of the paperwork. Our local vet had no experience with it and the government vet was hopeless! Thankfully, contacts at DEFRA are extremely helpful. If you reach out to them they will guide you through it.

If anyone does take their dog to the UK, I strongly advise they find a government approved vet and get a UK Pet Passport and keep it up to date. It makes things much easier.

Actually, getting into the U.K. is now easier than ever!

If anyone does take their dog to the UK, I strongly advise they find a government approved vet and get a UK Pet Passport and keep it up to date. It makes things much easier.

Where did you get the Pet Passport? It's my understanding that those are only issued by EU vets.

Dianne

Not sure what kind of experience pettravel.com was but for me it was $25 for a leather book and free forms, no assistance with filling out. I ended up doing everything myself with the help of this forum thread ( life saver) so I am very curious about their “help”

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the cruise we took in May to Alaska, we placed Scooter's bowls for food and water in the bathroom of the stateroom. That way, if they spilled, it was simple to wipe up.

I don't plan to take him on our 12 night cruise to the Caribbean in February. I'll have my service human. Scooter hates to fly, and I don't want to deal with Barbados, Granada, St Kitts and St. Lucia. My Mom and her husband are willing to keep him for the two weeks we will be gone, which makes it simple.

Not sure about the family cruise planned for Dec 2019, when my kids, their SOs and my mom will be joining us. He may stay at the vet. That will be Key West, which is easy, then Playa Costa Maya, Cozumel, followed by Grand Cayman.

Where did you get the Pet Passport? It's my understanding that those are only issued by EU vets.

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

Sorry, I should have specified finding a UK government approved vet! Since we spend three or four months at a time in England, finding a local vet for emergencies was high on my list the first time we all went over in 2007. Luckily for us, our local vet was able to issue the Passport.

The “pet passports” that you can find online in North America are NOT the Pet Passports recognized and accepted by the EU.

One thing we’re watching is the whole Brexit thing. It’s anyone’s guess what will be required to bring pets over when Britain is no longer part of the EU!

Hi Dianne,

Sorry, I should have specified finding a UK government approved vet! Since we spend three or four months at a time in England, finding a local vet for emergencies was high on my list the first time we all went over in 2007. Luckily for us, our local vet was able to issue the Passport.

The “pet passports” that you can find online in North America are NOT the Pet Passports recognized and accepted by the EU.

One thing we’re watching is the whole Brexit thing. It’s anyone’s guess what will be required to bring pets over when Britain is no longer part of the EU!

Thanks for the clarification. It will be interesting to see if the UK goes back to requiring blood titers, etc. after Brexit.

Dianne

Hey Everyone - looks like Florence is heading right for us here in the Carolinas. We live in the Charlotte area so we are expecting mostly rain and high winds. I hope everyone closer to the coast is heeding the warnings and getting the heck out of there.

My wife is leaving tomorrow for a bus tour in New England, and she suggested I sleep downstairs for a few days in case a tree fell on the house. I replied that I was sure I would be OK sleeping up stairs.

Her reply to that was "I wasn't really worried about you, but Lucy will be sleeping beside you".

How are things going, Keith? Give Lucy a cuddle for me.

How are things going, Keith? Give Lucy a cuddle for me.

Hey Chris - things are great! As I type this Lucy is laying beside me on the floor passed out. She is 10 now so she does that a lot.

We are waiting for the rain and wind to hit us from Aunt Flo...but it does not seem to be as bad as we feared. I'm hoping all the folks and pups are safe to the east of us.

Dottie made me take in all the pool furniture a couple of days ago. It is stacked in the garage, back porch, out building, etc.

Then the next morning I read that the best place for pool furniture during a storm is?...in the pool.

Lucy just looked up and said to send Raylene her best. Whoops...here comes the wind.

Keith and Lucy

Not sure what kind of experience pettravel.com was but for me it was $25 for a leather book and free forms, no assistance with filling out. I ended up doing everything myself with the help of this forum thread ( life saver) so I am very curious about their “help”

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not used them but have heard some good things.....Where were they when I started cruising with my Service Dogs 100 years ago? I feel like I took a covered wagon to the ports and was pretty much on my own to figure things out....And, my poor little Brenny, she was truly a guinea pig and took all my "newby" nonsense like a real trooper. She was such an amazing travel partner!

We love to hear about anything or anyone who makes our travels with our dogs easier.:D

Be safe and take care of yourselves. My heart goes out to our families that have been harmed in any way by Florence.

Let's talk cruising.......I have a 15 day Hawaii cruise scheduled for December 4th. Something I don't talk about much but it is important to think about....What are the best stateroom's for our dog's convenience?

Balconies are very convenient or cabins nearest the stairwells are good. That means when you're onboard your ship check out where the stairwells are. Walk to the very back of the ship [on Princess you have to turn the corner] see the door that says "Emergency or Employee's or Do Not Enter", open the door, it's going to be very heavy, so if you're in a wheel chair you'll need some help. Look to where the stairs either go up or down and you'll see a huge area where there's absolutely NOTHING! It's the perfect spot for the potty box to be placed, with a receptacle for the solid wastes and the litter bag so that you can fill the box with more litter, if needed.

You can go in your PJ's and curlers and no make up. If you plan your cabin near this stairwell you won't need to use your balcony or you can buy an inside cabin. It's so doable and so easy to use.

Your dog will literally walk on his own to the door and wait for you to open it, after he uses it the first time. I have movies of Brenda walking to the stairwell like she owned the ship! I have shown this video to ships officers who said, "it can't be done" and it changed their minds immediately!

Got another email from Carnival stating they would not put the relief box on the balcony. Do I just go to guest services or ask for the hotel manager when I get on board?

Linda and Halo

I suggest you contact John Heald on FB. He can make arrangements on your behalf and the man gets things done. I contacted him a few years ago because I felt my concerns regarding my son were being ignored and I wasn't getting the answers I needed to help prepare him. John made a hug difference. Since you have tried to resolve this with them on your own, I would escalate it a level.

Yes, yes I know, it's been too long since I checked in here. Sorry but life has been very busy.

Work has been crazy and there have been some health issues to address. But things are looking up.

I have been lurking here and there. Gretel had been doing great with my daughter. She is very attentive to her and does what she is asked to do. Most of the time. Our puppy in training, Winchester, is a handful.

He is a very smart and loving dog with a mind of his own. He just turned seven months old and is now a

rebellious teenager! He loves to dig holes and eat everything in sight in the back yard. Part of the

problem is that CCI will not let them be neutered until eight months instead of six months like it used

to be. The extra two months are a battle! But this too shall pass. We have no cruises planned at the moment. We are going to Disney World next month for a week. We are thinking about doing another

Disney cruise in 2020. That's all for now. I'll try not to be a stranger.

Paige. welcome to you and Neri. Practicing in a box before you cruise is the answer to a successful cruise experience to both you and Neri. If you can bring some artificial grass with you to cover their filler that would guarantee Neri's success.

I buy the artificial indoor/outdoor grass, I cut some drainage holes in it, roll it up [use some large rubber bands to hold it shut], cover the filler and just leave it behind when the cruise is done. I get it at Lowe's, it's cheap, very lightweight and Horton uses it with no resistance.

You'll love cruising with your Service Dog. Allow yourself plenty of time to get from one venue to another, while onboard and visiting various ports. You will be stopped a lot and asked many questions about your wonderful dog. Your fellow passengers had to leave their pets at home with the pet-sitter's and are missing them. Allow for some patting time when Neri's not working and remember; you're representing each and every one of us while you're onboard. Have fun!!!!

Thank you Roz!

I thought I replied earlier, but looks like it didn't post.

I figure times sitting out on the decks relaxing away from crowds would be best for allowing her to visit with other passengers. Crowded areas & high heat are when I need her focus to be on me only.

Thanks for the advice!

Paige & Neri

I suggest you contact John Heald on FB. He can make arrangements on your behalf and the man gets things done. I contacted him a few years ago because I felt my concerns regarding my son were being ignored and I wasn't getting the answers I needed to help prepare him. John made a hug difference. Since you have tried to resolve this with them on your own, I would escalate it a level.

EXACTLY, what I am going to do. My cruise is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I was going to contact him a week before.

Linda and Halo

Yes, yes I know, it's been too long since I checked in here. Sorry but life has been very busy.

Work has been crazy and there have been some health issues to address. But things are looking up.

I have been lurking here and there. Gretel had been doing great with my daughter. She is very attentive to her and does what she is asked to do. Most of the time. Our puppy in training, Winchester, is a handful.

He is a very smart and loving dog with a mind of his own. He just turned seven months old and is now a

rebellious teenager! He loves to dig holes and eat everything in sight in the back yard. Part of the

problem is that CCI will not let them be neutered until eight months instead of six months like it used

to be. The extra two months are a battle! But this too shall pass. We have no cruises planned at the moment. We are going to Disney World next month for a week. We are thinking about doing another

Disney cruise in 2020. That's all for now. I'll try not to be a stranger.

I'm so glad to hear from you and I hope that the health issues had some resolution.....It's good to hear that Gretel is becoming more and more bonded with your daughter.....and, Winchester, are you sure his name's not Horton? Horton has some juvenile behavior's that he NEVER outgrew and sometimes they tickle me and make me laugh and sometimes he's so frustrating. I have learned that some of these behavior's are just instinctual to Mr. Horton and will be part of him FOREVER! I'm willing to live with them because the positive that Horton does for me way outweighs the negative.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and for checking-in with us.

EXACTLY, what I am going to do. My cruise is the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I was going to contact him a week before.

Linda and Halo

I have never tried contacting Mr. Heald about my Carnival Cruises......Please let us know how it goes and if he's helpful at all.

I find Carnival to be helpful once I become insistent......I also like how their hallways are larger than Princess' and it's so much easier to walk, with a dog in tow and maneuver around the Steward's carts in the mornings or evenings when they're cleaning or preparing the cabins.

Couple questions. Can I send John Heald a private message? I really don't want to post my request publicly. My TA, who I will not be using anymore, got nasty when I posed a question about Service Dogs. I was asking my trainer, but thought I would make it a public question so others could see the answer.

Also, does the Aphis just get signed by the vet? Or does it need to be sent in somewhere? Is there a formal form for the health certification that is done 48 hours or less before departure?

Linda and Halo

Here is my conversation with Carnival.

Response By Email (09/11/2018 04:45 PM)

Dear Linda Cotner,

Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Line for your cruise vacation!

We appreciate your feedback and information. However, this is a company policy that is strictly enforced, and we will not be able to make any exceptions on this matter.

If we may give an alternative suggestion? Perhaps have one of your family members take the service dog to the designated relief area, in your behalf.

Guest Access Support

Carnival Cruise Line

Customer By Service Email (09/07/2018 01:21 PM)

Due to extremely limited mobility, please put the relief box on the balcony. I will be unable to transport my service dog through heavy doors or over thresh holds.

I have researched the relief box placement extensively and there are no laws that do not allow the placement of the box on the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone

Here is my conversation with Carnival.

Response By Email (09/11/2018 04:45 PM)

Dear Linda Cotner,

Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Line for your cruise vacation!

We appreciate your feedback and information. However, this is a company policy that is strictly enforced, and we will not be able to make any exceptions on this matter.

If we may give an alternative suggestion? Perhaps have one of your family members take the service dog to the designated relief area, in your behalf.

Guest Access Support

Carnival Cruise Line

Customer By Service Email (09/07/2018 01:21 PM)

Due to extremely limited mobility, please put the relief box on the balcony. I will be unable to transport my service dog through heavy doors or over thresh holds.

I have researched the relief box placement extensively and there are no laws that do not allow the placement of the box on the balcony.

Sent from my iPhone

Please feel free to use my name and when I used the potty box on the balcony last.

Name: Roz Silberschein

Cruise: Carnival Miracle - 15 days to Hawaii-Dec. 2017.

The box was placed on my veranda the entire time. The box was one of the nicest I had ever seen onboard a ship. It was made of metal and was about 4' by 4'. It was filled with pellets [my most un-favorite litter] but, I cover it with a piece of artificial turf, which makes it easier to walk on for Horton. And, I just leave it behind when I disembark.

I don't care what kind of letter or words that are used by the

Guest Access Support Dept. They're WRONG! The box is ALWAYS placed on my veranda.....Unless, I ask that it be placed in the nearest stairwell to my cabin. They have no right to ask that your dog be separated from you EVER!

Go directly to the Hotel Manager and INSIST that the box be placed on your veranda....Again, mention Cruise Critic, mention this blog and remind them of where it's been placed for me.

Couple questions. Can I send John Heald a private message? I really don't want to post my request publicly. My TA, who I will not be using anymore, got nasty when I posed a question about Service Dogs. I was asking my trainer, but thought I would make it a public question so others could see the answer.

Also, does the Aphis just get signed by the vet? Or does it need to be sent in somewhere? Is there a formal form for the health certification that is done 48 hours or less before departure?

Linda and Halo

The Aphis Form is signed by my Vet. Depending on what ports you will be visiting will dictate what forms you will need. And, the timing of them.

I'm going to Hawaii in December and have to deal with an Animal Quarantine Station; a Direct Release Specialist; a Direct Release Fee [$255.21]; making sure that our itinerary is sent to the proper authorities and an appointment is made with them prior to entering certain ports. Thankfully, the Rabies Titer Test is good for 3 years [$250.00].

Horton had to have a Bordetella, Leptospirosis and a Rabies Vaccine [good for 3 years] along with the Rabies Titer to prepare for our cruise to Hawaii.

It won't be as expensive to cruise to Hawaii this year but it still requires a lot of extra paperwork along with the usual Vet visit.

Most USA ports [except Hawaii] and Mexico are fairly simple. Some Caribbean, Panama Canal, European and other foreign ports will ask for more complicated paperwork. Tell us where you're going and someone will write in and let you know what you need.

I love these kinds of problems, don't you?

Thanks so much Roz. I am feeling so much more confident because of this board and everyone's advice.

I am going to Freeport and Princess Cay, both in the Bahamas. The paperwork doesn't seem complicated, just want to make sure I have everything and did everything correctly.

My husband and I are going to Europe, Paris, South Western Germany and Iceland in March. We are not taking Halo. I have my service person and we just thought, handling Halo through foreign airports and train stations might be a lot to deal with.

Linda and Halo

Linda & All, yes, the paperwork can be extensive and at times bothersome! That said, I will NOT be separated from my dog because of it!

Horton is my partner, he makes me feel WHOLE.....that feeling outweighs any darn obstacles that can be thrown at me because he happens to have fur, four legs and requires more immunizations than I do!